iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A great big tree in da western U.P.

Started by Jeff, April 05, 2007, 11:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Bear with me on this post eh? ;D  I am at Chet's trying to make posts like I usually do but am limited to Chet's connection. Ya see, in da U.P., when ya click, ya gotta manually take that click and drive it to the computer shop, they send da click on to da forum, the forum sends back da click, and you take it, drive home through da drifts, put the click on your computer, then wait for the click to show up.

I'm back with my first click. This is going to be da story of Chet and I and justjim going to visit nailhead for a day. Now this was a whole click ago, so say, sometime on tuesday it happened. ;D  Since Chet has to go back to prison today, I'll try to relate this story via some photos and some comments. First I have to go drive through the current beautiful springtime blizzard and get anudder click.  Be back soon.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

You forgot to explain about when that computer store gets a reply that says that forum thingy either does not exist or it's busy right now.   :D

Guess I must be in da UP too?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Coon

I sure hope you don't have to paddle to far up stream to get the click in place  :D  I know we just about need to canoe to where we gotta go some places around here.  The creeks are running and still lots of snow to go. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

isawlogs

Hey .. I ressemble those clicks .. I had to start answering this last week ...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

OK. I'm BACK.

Justjim and Chet and I set out for Nailhead country Tuesday morning. Nailhead lives in some pretty his historical county as related to Michigan's logging past. We traveled up 141 past canyon falls and Alberta where Henry Ford's mill stood (stands) where they sawed out the lumber for the side panels of the old Woodys.  We traveled on up to Skanee where we were to rendezvous with Nailhead for a burger at the Huron River Supper club (Tavern actually, and pay no attention to the many Root Beer and Sarsaparilla bottles you may see in accompanying photos  ;D)

Here is from right to left, Justjim (Jim, da waxlady's brother), Chet and then Pat (Nailhead). From here we commenced our days journey. :)

Jeff

Back wit unnuder click.

CRAP! DIDNT TAKE...

Furby

It wouldn't be so much trouble if ya hadn't packed that blizzard along with ya!
Ya should have saved a little of that FL hot air ya took home with ya and shared some with Chet. :)

Jeff

Thats da problem! Ya know what ya get with warm air blowing across lake superior! Lake effect!

OK, next stop was at Pat's to get provisions. We needed to get a shovel, a powersaw and a cooler, all important stuff to get to nailhead's "High Camp" in the Huron Mountains area, one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world.  High camp is very near the highest elevation in Michigan and about 1000 ft above Lake Superior, not but a few miles away. This was the first trip in to high camp this year. Good thing we went and then got out when we did, a few hours later, and we would still be there as this was the biggest April storm to hit the area in many years, although as you will find out, getting stranded at High Camp could have its advantages. ;D

Here are some photos of the stop at Pat's place. As ususal we had to keep an eye on Chet cause he keeps trying to walk off with Pats little Knuckle boom.

Here are a couple other toys we took a look at before we headed "up".

Weekend_Sawyer

Would that be a 57 ford under that tarp?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Close, Dat would be what Nailhead calls his "Gramma car" Its a 57 4 door Belair. 8)

We kept wondering as the road conditions worsened if we would get to high camp, but finally did. We were about 15 miles in and at least 3 miles as the crow flies from any other buildings let alone any people. We Parked Pat's rig up around a bend from tha camp for a final hike in as the last bit was pretty poor and ending up in a creek that far from help was not what we had panned for the day.  Also, a good time to put this out there. We are looking for a few adventurous  Forestry Forum member guys for an ATV weekend this coming September. Pat has room for about a dozen or maybe a few more of us and we have 4 or 5 already, including me, chet, pasbuild, justim and Pat. It will be a beautiful time and we will get guided on some of the most beautiful scenery you will see in Michigan. We will see waterfalls that only the most adventurous have ever saw. We only have limited room so shoot me a message if you are interested.

This was our first view of High Camp.  I think High Camp could be better described as a "lodge"  :)

This central woodstove is fronted by a big semi circle of easy chairs. I didnt get a picture of those. behind that is the pool table and then Kitchen

A view of the Kitchen

Here is Pat climbing the stairs to show us a long row of bunks where camp visitors sleep.

Chet and Pat check out a plat map of the area as Pat shares some history. We are only a couple miles from what is called the McCormick tract. http://hunts-upguide.com/champion_mccormick_tract_wilderness_area.html

The electical plant at High camp serves it well. :)

Hiking back to the truck from high camp. and onward to more sites.

Jeff

On da way out from High camp, we stopped for a quick pitstop near a small falls on the West Branch of the Huron River.

This here is a Firewater "lite" powwow near the falls.  :) Half the reason for the stop, acutally its the reason for the other half too. :D   But we would have stopped anyhow, as a view of this little falls simply can't be passed up. :)

stonebroke

do you guys in MI really call that a waterfall?

Stonebroke

TexasTimbers

That white stuff gives me the heebie jeebies. My feet shrunk up a little just from da pics.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

Quote from: stonebroke on April 05, 2007, 03:30:30 PM
do you guys in MI really call that a waterfall?

Stonebroke

Well, if you don't like this one, we have a couple hundred more to pick from. I'll pick on your state once you fill out your profile.  :)  ;)

So.....
Pat says, do you guys want ta see a big tree?  We says, "sure", so a crank of da wheel and a powerslide and we are off. After a short trek down a winding trail, Pat stops and we get out. In the distance you can hear Superior just a crashing.  We start into the woods in the prescribrd direction and start to see a tree.

O.K., its bigger then the rest of em. We get closer.

Its a bunch bigger then the rest of em, and the rest of em are probably a foot through. Pat says this White Pine is a land mark if you are off shore on Superior. It towers above everything else by 30 0r 40 feet.

Once we get close you can see she is a real beauty. Not only big, but very healthy and just beautiful. :)

Here is justjim trying to get his arms around it followed by a view up.

Onward to yet to some more discoveries along the shores of Gitchigume. :)

Jeff

After getting back on the trail for a bit, we all realized it was time to jump off da trail, take another break and lighten the cooler again.

Where we stopped was less then 100 yards from the shore of a very angry and cold looking Lake superior, I didnt venture any closer then this picture through the woods. What lay around our feet was far more interesting to me.  I could not imagine a sawmill in this cold location, but there is was, or what was left of it, which surprisingly, was quite a bit.  Pat knows something of the history of these ruins, so once he finds this thread, maybe he will jump in and fill in some details of stuff I have left out, forgotten, or flat out got wrong. ;D

Burlkraft

It looks like ya'll are havin' fun......

I see they shaved Chet when he went ta prison...... :D :D :D

How's come Nailhead's eyes are closed in all da pictures.... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

Nice tree  8)  Was there indication as to the make of the mill  ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 05, 2007, 07:28:57 PM
How's come Nailhead's eyes are closed in all da pictures.... ??? ??? ???

Since you asked, there is a very good reason...

Jeff

stonebroke

Jeff

Just trying to be funny, guess I wasn't. Sorry. NY has Niagara which I think is a pretty good waterfall. I thought mich. was all flat and sandy. Do you guys really have hills?

Stonebroke

pasbuild

Why don't ya sign up fer the 4 wheelin weekend stonebroke and ya can see some of those hills & water falls fer yer self ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Quote from: stonebroke on April 05, 2007, 10:38:47 PM
Jeff

Just trying to be funny, guess I wasn't. Sorry. NY has Niagara which I think is a pretty good waterfall. I thought mich. was all flat and sandy. Do you guys really have hills?

Stonebroke

No problem at all!  ;)  If thats what ya think of Michigan, ya gotta come see for yourself. Michigan has the next largest falls this side of the Mississippi, your the only ones that has one bigger.  :)   Got an ATV? Come on over and we'll introduce ya to the real Michigan.  :)

WDH

Boss,

Y'all should measure that big white pine.  Michigan has the national champion I think.  The Michigan champion (and national champion I think) has a diameter of 63.6" and a height of 150'.  That one in the pic sure looks big.  I sure would feel better if you measured it ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

How about if we measure a different one? Chet says he knows of one dat is bigger. :)   These western Yooper boys seem to be just full of neat secrets that can be pried out with a little barley pop levering. They however have thier ways of making you keep just enough back that you only THINK you know what dey know. Like makeing lots of crazy circles and getting you completely discombobulated before popping out to one of these secret locations. :)  They say stuff like "You can't get here with out us" and they're right. :D

Thank You Sponsors!