iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those five minute jobs

Started by isawlogs, April 04, 2007, 10:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Ya know , like ... look there is a flat on the trailer... ::) wont take long to fix that ...  ::) Oh , tire is off the rim , there is rust and mud in there , well we'll take the tire off the trailer , will be easier to get at . Oh .. kinda stuck on the axle we will use a little more persuasion When it does come off ...  you realise that there has never been any grease in there .. ever ... bearings are a bit stiff   :-\ ( term used very liberaly ) It takes a while to get them rolling freely , ya repack them, put them back in , ya fix da tire and put it back on ... and look across ... there is another one dere that probably has the same symptom   no grease ... so ya start all over again and you where right .. no grease , Well its back together but after a three hour grease job ... it is only a trailer for the bike that is used here on the farm , reason for not changing the bearings ... And that the parts here a far and few between ... It was only a five minute job .... took all morning . Then you are asked what you did this morning ... Oh , nutin much , I put air in the trailer tire .... Only takes but five minutes ,  :D .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Know that one well! ::)
Took close to a month to deal with two of the tires on the big trailer about 6 weeks ago.
Simple jobs that take forever to do.......... story of my life! :(

sawguy21

:D :D Been there too many times.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

Tom

Ah!  The story of my life.  Marcell, at least you got the wheel bearings greased.  If it were me, I would have seen the tire needed fixing, realized I needed to grease the bearing and then, when I went to get the bearing grease, would have found out that the shelf needed re-arranging.  About half way through that, I would have found the pair of pliars that I lost last year and go to put them up.  Then I would realize that the tool box needed straightening up.   But, the hinges squeak.  So, I would look for some oil to put on the hinges and realize that I hadn't changed the oil in the tractor this month.  There on the  floor lies the new filter and case of oil.  Going to change the oil, I would realize that the bush hog should be removed from the tractor so that I could change the oil in the barn.  But, while it was still hooked up I should mow that path in the woods that I missed last week when dark caught me.   Of course, now that I'm at the end of the woods road, and the tide is right and it's getting late anyway.   I'll just throw this line in the water and see if I can catch a fish.  ;D

Patty

Alls well that ends well, Tom!   Nothing else seems to matter when I have a fishing pole in my hand.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

OneWithWood

and just what would we do if we got everything done?  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ely

have you folks ever read the works of patrick f. mc manus, look into a story i think its titled "sequences" sort of follows what yall are discussin.

leweee

add forgetful and a dash of " sometimers" and you got yourself an Adventure. ::) :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

ohsoloco

I've been working on greasing my trailer bearings for about a week now  :-\  Last year when I got my trailer inspected the guy at the shop suggested I re-pack the bearings since I've never done it yet.  Well, last Saturday I finally got around to doing it after a little internet research on how to do it  ;)  Picked up four grease seals at the parts store (took me three parts stores to get four of them  ::) ).  The first hub was going just fine.  Bearings were cleaned and re-packed, so I put the hub back on.  Saw the new grease seal on the trailer deck, so I pulled the hub off and pounded a new seal home.  Then I saw the inner bearing sitting there on the spindle looking at me  >:( 

By this time all the parts stores were closed, so I just did three of the hubs.  Too DanG cold to do it now (that little hit of spring spoiled me).  One of these days weeks I'll get that last one greased  ::)

DWM II

I think Tom has ADD as bad as mine. I get on my tractor and ride around in circles working on this then I see that and go work there for about five minutes then I see something else and go over there. I end up with nothing done in a days time, my laughs at me and offers to buy me some Focus Factor off of tv. :)
Stewardship Counts!

Sprucegum

I was a bit forgetful the other day (or was it last year?) and the wife suggested I get into one of those programs that exercises your mind to help you retain your memory.

I told her the problem is - my mind is already so active I have no room for storage  ???

Qweaver

Took my truck down to get a Goose neck hitch put on it. Turns out the guy that does the installs is on vacation this week...So the salesman says "it only takes about an hour.  Buy this one and it'll bolt right in"  Well  we started at 6, it's midnight now and it's in there.  I still have a few minor things to do but I dropped the light and couldn't find another bulb...so I'll finish up in the morning.  Luckily, we had cousin Arthurs heated garage to work in. Getting the heat shield down and out of the way was a nightmare. I broke off star drives, broke off bolts, couldn't get to some of them, finally cut some parts away with tin snips.  If I hadn't wanted to put the shield back up it would have been easy...I'd have just knocked them off with my air chisel.  
But it's in there and we're off to Ohio tomorrow to pick up my dozer.  Watch out stumps when we get back, cause cousin David claims to be a stump pullin fool. 8)
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

jon12345

Changing disc brakes/rotors in a GM.  Only takes about 20 min-1/2 hr. Right

Part 1 - Take tire off, take caliper off rotor, knock rotor off, replace new rotor, put caliper back on, turn piston back in, put new pads in, put caliper over rotor, put tire back on.

Repeat on other side

Guy shows up who knows what he's doing,

Part 2 - take tire back off, take caliper off to bring it in garage, pound sliding pin in caliper out to make sure it is free, put caliper back on, put pads back in, put tire back on.

Bleed brake lines.

3 hours later...

Good thing we went to guys house who had air tools, it saved a lot of time.  :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

OneWithWood

You really have not experienced the '20 minute' brake job until you have busted off a bleeder nipple or two.  :D

Here is some sage advice - if you do break one off don't even bother trying to drill it out and retap the port.  Just go to the local auto quiki mart and get a remaned caliper.  Save a lot of time and grief.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

Sage advice indeed. ;D I learned that one the hard way too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Yeah, I paid $16 for the reman caliper and over $30 for the little flexible break line.
Guy couldn't give me a good reason why the line cost more then the caliper. >:(
If you have any trouble at all with a caliper, check the cost on just replacing it before messing with it as they are getting pretty cheap. I think a rebuild kit for my $16 caliper was something like $10. Much easier to just replace it. :)

Quartlow

who Nellie!!!! how come i never get to the fishing part?  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

leweee

Quartlow....you have to hang out with this guy. ;D

from the "Cantankerous old Curmudgeon" Collection
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

thecfarm

I do pretty good with those 5 minute jobs,there is no such thing.  :) Now the wife is a whole differant story,She things I'm Super Logger,Super Sawer,Super Carpenter,Etc.She has it all figured out how long it will take me to build something.I have cut down the trees,saw them,do some ground work,and than build it.Takes only a few days according to her and she wonders what I've been doing for 2 weeks and it still is not done.  :o  She is starting to understand better now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

I took a liking to that   Cantankerous old Curmudgeon  I have sat by him and he has a way of keeping your ear at attention   There are a few others  Cantankerous old Curmudgeon's  that are really pleasent also to be around ... Some are even getting to speak a word or two of french ...  :)  :P  Some can saye BLEUE with no accent whats so ever ... Some of them  Cantankerous old Curmudgeon  are not as old as they let on to be ... !!!! ;)  They can rock with the best of um ...   in a chair  ;D ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!