iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Theres Red and White Oak then there's ...

Started by dad2nine, April 04, 2007, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Chestnut oak, wild orange looking stuff...

Frickman

I cut a fair amount of chestnut oak. In our area it's also called rock oak. I enjoy cutting it. It saws out with fewer defects than our white oak. Most buyers take it in the same pack as regular white oak.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Wenrich

I've been sawing 8/4 uppers in chestnut oak.  If it wasn't for chestnut oak, I wouldn't get any grade white oak.   :D

If you get chestnut oak that's growing on a good site, your quality if very good.  As you start to get up slope where the soil is thinner, the quality slips badly. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodbeard

Is chestnut oak as rot resistant as ( other ) white oaks?

raycon

Chestnut oak has less tyloses plugging the pores than the other white oaks. 
I'm not sure if that makes it less rot resistant than the others or not. I'd not use
it in a boat project if other options existed.
Lot of stuff..

Ron Wenrich

My experience with white oak is to not use it untreated as a fence post.  It really isn't that rot resistant.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I agree with Ron.  It has good outside weather resistance qualities if it is not constantly wet or in ground contact.  If it does have ground contact where it is continually moist, it will rot like most other woods.  Might take a little longer than some other woods.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!