iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pump Shotgun opinions

Started by rbhunter, April 04, 2007, 02:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I am looking at getting a pump shotgun to use for turkeys in the near future. I grew up hunting pheasants and qual and I love my 870 wingmaster for these but it is 2 and 3/4 inch modified and I would like to get something for turkey. I am new to turkey hunting and have convinced my wife I need a new shotgun for turkey hunting. I am trying to keep the cost down but still get a good gun in which I can also use for other types of hunting and busting blue rock some. I like the Nova and Super Nova as well as the 870 express although the 870 is different than my wingmaster. I have also considered the Mossberg line.

I would like to know what shotguns you all prefer and why for turkey hunting. Also is the camoflage really worth the extra expense over the black or if I purchased black if using one of the camo tapes would be a good or bad idea. Is it possible to take the tape off after the season or will it be sticky and a mess to clean the gun up again.

Thanks

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Don K

I bought a Remington 870 Super magnum at a pawn shop about 5 yrs ago and have been very pleased with it. Pump with interchangeable chokes, shoots up to 3 1/2 inch magnum shells, comes camoed with sling swivels, shorter barrel and will kill a turkey much farther away than my 870 wingmaster with 30" full choke with 3" magnum #6's. Paid 400. for it and I think that gun was selling for around 600. As far as the black goes, either is fine, what you don't want and I'm sure you know this is a gun with a shiny finish. Old Tom will spot it in a hurry. Camo makes it harder to find if you misplace it in the woods and I have heard of people doing that. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

gary

I do alot of goose and duck hunting. After wearing out 2 mossbergs in 4 years. I bought a 870 express magnum. It is a good gun. When you are looking at the mossbergs. See how much the slide action will turn sideways. The last time I looked at them I could almost turn the pump to the top of the barrel. For camoflage i went to walmart and bought a can of black, brown and green spray paint. Then painted my own camo on it. The camo tape sucks,it comes off while hunting and makes the sticky mess when you take it off.

Burlkraft

I also do a little duck and goose hunting and believe it or not I wore a Mossberg mag. out in about 3 years. After about 2 years the action was so wore out I had to hold the pump mechanism closed so it would fire.
I have a Remington 8700 custom now that I just love. I've never had a shotgun shoot and fit like this one does. I also use this gun for turkey....which is comin' up in about 3 weeks... ;D ;D ;D  It's blued and walnut...no camo and I have not had problems spooking turkey's because of the gun... ::) ::) ::)

I have a Browning Gold 10 ga that I was wanting to use for turkey hunting, but it's too DanG heavy. I still use it on geese, depending on where I'm hunting and what the conditions are, but that's a pretty sweet gun too.....
Why not just 1 pain free day?

slowzuki

Have an 870 express kicking around, probably been only 500 rounds through it in its life (used for shooting clays) so not a good test of life but it still operates like brand new.  Neighbour has an old mossberg and it is much looser.  It is much older too though.

Norm

Stay away from the mossbergs not worth the money in my opinion. I use auto loaders for all my shotgun hunting now, it's a personal preference. If a pump is what you have your heart set on remington makes a decent one. Not sure of your budget but Benelli makes a real nice pump set up for the type of hunting your looking at.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/novaPump.tpl

beenthere

No need for a pump IMO  ;D  A single shot will do fine, as there are no good shots after the first round.
I have an old bolt action Stevens that has worked good for Toms. Put the camo tape on it years ago and 'ave never taken it off. It's light weight, ugly, but works when ya pull the trigger.......I can't ask for anything more.  :)  (Used it fer the very high tree limb too...... :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

I'm not much of a hunter anymore,  but I do appreciate a good gun.  I know those plastic stocks that are common now are functional,  and cameo may be a good idea,  but lets face it -------most guns see very little action in the woods.  A good gun gets admired and shown off all the time, so why not get one that's well made with a nice walnut stock and a quality blue job.  I think they make cloth cameo covers that you can slip over the gun when you take it to the woods.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

rbhunter

The Nova runs $299 in black, and the super Nova runs $399 in black and the Remington 870 Express in Camo runs $324. All three are chambered to accept up to 3 and 1/2 inch shells although I am not sure I will use over 3 inch but the option would be there if I decided to use the 3 1/2 shells.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."

Radar67

I have to disagree with all the Mossberg naysayers. I've got a model 500 12 ga and a model 600 20 ga. Both are over 15 years old and had thousands of rounds through them. I've abused both duck hunting, skeet shooting, and a variety of other game. They've been underwater, frozen, and coated in mud many times, and one thing never fails to happen when I use them...they both fire when you pull the trigger. My brother owns the 835 Ultimag for turkey hunting and he is happy with it.

I've also used the camo tape before. Preparation is the key. I always coat the exterior of the gun with WD40 before applying the tape. When I take it off at the end of the year, there is no sticky residue left behind.

I like the Mossberg line. I've tried the Brownings, Remingtons, Winchesters, and several others...I always come back to my trusty Mossberg.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

johncinquo

I use a camo gun sock when I head out and want to be concealed.  Slides on and is form fitting.  Take a knife or scissors and cut out slits for the ejector, trigger, loading.  When the season is over the sock slides back off and I have a nice field gun again, and the finish has been protected while sitting and walking through the woods.  No tape residue, paint, to clean off.  Their at wally world for $5. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

TexasTimbers

1) Winchester Model 12
2) Ithaca Model 37
3) Remington 870

I do like my Remington 1100 semi and have never had a jam with it.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Texas Ranger

Picking shot guns is like picking bird dogs, ain't two folks the same.  But, I have a Win Model 12 Goose gun that would make a heck of a turkey gun, should you be interested.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I have the Model 12 Winchester, 12 guage 3"magnun that I use for ducks, geese, and turkeys. I put a como-sock or cloth cover over the barrel for turkey hunting to cut down on any barrel glare especially due to the long barrel.

I have used it in a number of "turkey shoots" over the years and it has always been a contender for winning prizes and for entering the final shoot-offs.

However, at last Saturday's Michigan Wild Turkey Hunter's Association Turkey Shoot, I was out-gunned as were many other competitors by a young fella with a Remington 870, 12 guage super mag in camo finish with a red dot scope.

I looked his gun over pretty close and the 870 might just be my next gun for turkey hunting. It seems to be quite popular here. The new shorter barrels are nice and with the current chokes, they really seem to do the job. I would also get it in camo finish for turkey hunting if that will be its primary use. I don't recommend camo tape on a gun and the socks and covers can sometimes get in the way at the "worst time"if they aren't the best fit.

I would also agree with Norm on the Benelli as being a great shotgun from what I've seen of them.
~Ron

scsmith42

I'm with Norm on this one.  If I had to buy a turkey gun today, it would be a Benelli Super Black Eagle II with the pistol grip and camo.  I have never held a shotgun that felt so natural or smooth as the Benelli.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/turkeyGuns.tpl

Unfortunately, it's not a pump, but it is one sweet shooter.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rbhunter

Thanks all of you for the replies. If I had the money I would go with the 870 magnum possibly. But after looking at the Super Nova again I think I will go with it. I have not found anything bad so far on it and it seems to come up real well if I decide to use it for pheasant and quail also. I also like the price of $399. I like the balance and feel of it like my old 870 and the salesman showed me how to take it down and even pull the fireing pin out and put it back togather in just a few minutes. It looks real easy to clean. I will let you know what I think after I get it and have a chance to fire off a few rounds. It is also suposed to have something in the stock to reduce recoil and stay online better for follow up shots. The sales man seems to be sold on it and owns one. The sales man at Wally World also recommended the Super Nove even thought they do not sell them.

I hope is as reliable as they say and as my old 870 wingmaster.

Thanks again

Randy

Tom

Down here, we don't spend a lot of money on new guns unless we just want to show them off.  Hand-me-downs do quite well and there are a lot of good guns to be found in a Gun shop or pawn shop.

For birds, and game in close quarters, like the swamps in which we hunt, I like a 12gauge.  I have a  Browning patented Remington model 11 auto-loader that is also known as a Browning  A-5.  It was a hand-me-down from my Granddaddy, Flem Dame.  He showed me how to hunt with it and I've seldom needed anything else.  I did learn to favor a 22 for squirrels.

He shot doves, quail and turkey with #8 shot and field loads.  These two shells were followed by a single ought buck or a #2, in case he saw a deer.  It was easy enough to clear the 8's, either by hand or unloading them through the barrel as you got the deer's attention.

I dont know how you guys wear out a gun so fast.  If you shoot your doves in pairs or six at a time, you limit out before the barrel gets warm.  A little patience and two shells can take out more quail from a covy than it takes to feed a family of 5.  One shot of 8's will send a Tom Turkey's saddle home and not hurt any of the breast meat either.

If you take a little time and line stuff up just right, you don't need but a couple of boxes of shells a year and your Great Grandchildren can use the gun too.  That is, they can unless the population gets really stupid and lets Ted Kennedy or the likes of John Kerry assume offices of National importance.  Do that and you will be lucky if a citizen is allowed a sling shot.  ...and once they take it away, don't figure you will ever get it back.

olyman

If you take a little time and line stuff up just right, you don't need but a couple of boxes of shells a year and your Great Grandchildren can use the gun too.  That is, they can unless the population gets really stupid and lets Ted Kennedy or the likes of John Kerry assume offices of National importance.  Do that and you will be lucky if a citizen is allowed a sling shot.  ...and once they take it away, don't figure you will ever get it back.
you said three  mouthfuls with that one statement--but hypocrites that they are--they should own a gun--but not you--teds body guards--carry full autos--and the batf doesnt bother him--wonder why????

Bill

I'd agree with Kevjay

Winchester Model 12
Ithaca 37
Remington 870

Figure on real reasonable price for a used one iffen some of the blue or walnut shows wear - but the action is still real good. Winchester is special as a take down for traveling.

Corley5

I've seen some pretty rough Model 12s bring considerable $$ at auctions around here.  Very good firearms, I've got a twelve and sixteen that I'd never part with.  My Grandpa's first cousin told me about killing 21 ruffed grouse with the 12 guage and one box of shells when he was young man and the gun belonged to his father 8) ;D  He told Dad if he was younger he'd try to talk me out of it.  He's since passed on  :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don K

I've killed them with shiny guns and I've killed them with  camo guns. Been killing them since I was 15. Had one spot the reflection of the rising sun off my father's glasses.  With our month long season and a bag limit of five birds and a hunter turnout second only to deer, our birds are hunted hard and long and once they reach 2 yrs of age if they are smart enough too, will skunk most of the average hunters. I'm proud to get one with any type of gun. I've seen a lot of the big city hunters that try lease up all the good available land show up with their 1000 coin high gloss guns that reflects sunlight like a highway reflector at night in the high beams. IMO why give the turkey any chance for a advantage.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

rbhunter

Thank you all for your posts and opinions. It was a hard decision between the 870 and the Super Nova. I thought about the Winchester 1300 also but they stopped producing them last year according to their website.

I have purchased the Super Nova and cannot wait to shoot it. I will post pics in my gallery later. I chose the black with a regular stock although I thought about the one with a pistol grip for $20 more but it would take some getting used to by me for quail and pheasant hunting.

I will be taking the gun with me back to Kansas this week end and should get some shots through it at that time. My aunt is 90 years old and has cancer and I want to see her as it may be the last time I get to see her alive since she has decided to skip chemo at her age. She is special and I always loved to hunt her farm when I lived in Kansas. Between her farm and my cousins they have about 400 acres. My dad and mom visited her yesterday and said they saw turkeys on both places and had one cross the road right in front of them when they left. I wish I would have gotten my lifetime license when we left Kansas but was short on money and failed to get it. I turned down people for deer hunting as I had all of the ground I wanted to hunt and had not taken up turkey hunting yet. Farmers told me to take it up and come hunt thier land.
Kansas farmers hate the deer and turkey. Now Quail and pheasant hunting is different but if you treat the farmers right you can end up with plenty of ground for that also. The main farm I hunted for them would call around and get me permission to hunt nieghbors property when they did not have much good hunting. He owned and farmed over 1800 acres. Don't know I could go sunup to sundown busting brush and trudging mud anymore but I sure would like to try.

ely

i hunt like tom does. my cousin had a nova 12 gage and if you put stiff loads in it,ie, anything better than 1oz walmart loads. the nova would beat you like a red headed step child. did not ever care for that gun, too light. on the plus side you can use the slide on the nova shotguns to rattle in a buck deer. seen that happen several times.

Radar67

My Mossberg 600 20 ga will bruise you up bad with a 1 oz #8. All the other loads won't do it. Some say it ain't so, but I've had some mighty big men give it a try to only end up with not only their shoulder, but their pride bruised.  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

You better not have your shoulder in between a tree and the super mag with mag. 3.5 turkey loads. You will have to go find a putty knife to scrape your shoulder off the tree. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!