iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Someone to havest pine in my area...

Started by Ever Green, April 01, 2007, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever Green

I have a couple customers who are looking to cut some pine.  I believe its red pine.  Nothing real big.  Probably need some sort of feller buncher or mechanized harvester...I'm just south of Buffalo...One property is about 4 acres and the other is about 10.  They are only about 5 miles from each other...any suggestions? 

Thanks
Vince

SwampDonkey

Well, not much help here but just some experiences/observations. Can hardly move red pine here unless it's at least 12 inches dbh for poles. There was a portable mill that started up here a few years ago and sawed some plantation pine. It got stacked outside the saw shed and turned black over the years, eventually got burnt I think. Too small and knotty. I think this came from a plantation thinning that was meant for pulp. And our red pine pulp market is too far away from where I'm at.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

>Probably need some sort of feller buncher or mechanized harvester

I do not think the lots are big enough for that. A well motivated person could clear that easily with a saw and Bobcat.

Why are the lots being cleared? Is it the whole lot, or just 5-10 acres of it? Would a forester make more sense to handle everything, including a survey, and if the property is in a watershed area, can the trees be removed? Are they looking to make money? Pulpwood prices might break even on the cost of removing the trees if close to a mill. Firewood might pay more though if you got $20 per cord.

My biggest thing to ask is what about clean up? There is going to be a lot of tops left and it takes far longer to clean up then it does to cut down and haul the wood off unless you have a huge chipper or tub grinder type thing.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I can't see someone moving in those big machines for 4 or 10 acres. I can if it's 30 acres or more. Seen it done here last spring on a small piece of land with very small trees. They cleared it off in no time, almost lost a forwarder in the swamp to.  ::) It's right next to a clover leaf onto a new 4 lane. I see a couple parcels in the paper there for sale, one is $850,000 and another is $1.5 Million and it's wet ground.  Wonder where the wetland guys are now kicking and screaming. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ever Green

The 4 acre piece is at my gun/conservation club.  We have a lot of cherry growing underneath and want to promote them.  As far as firewood thing, nobody uses pine here unless its all you can get...way too much hard wood here for firewood.  The bigger piece is a friends and they want to do a pond. 

thanks
Vince

rebocardo

I would suggest finding a sawyer (find one on this site using the listings), pay them a min. amount to remove the trees and keep the wood with the terms that they chip all the tops and split halves on whatever goes to pulp.

Many sawyers have at least a six inch chipper, though I would lean towards the person with the 12"+ bigger chipper since doing the tops from one acre with a six inch chipper will take about one day per acre of pine.

Many times, on the smaller pines (say 2-6 inches) that is no good for pulp or boards it is far faster and easier to just shove it through a 12" chipper with a Bobcat then to struggle with it forever through a 6" chipper by hand.

jokers

Quote from: rebocardo on April 07, 2007, 09:58:24 PM
I would suggest finding a sawyer (find one on this site using the listings), pay them a min. amount to remove the trees and keep the wood with the terms that they chip all the tops and split halves on whatever goes to pulp.
Rebocardo, would anyone with the equipment participate in this sort of arrangement in your area? If so, your market must be vastly different than ours. Nobody wants red pine unless it`s premium quality and even then it`s generally made into low grade products like rustic siding, pulp, or mulch so the payout is very slim. I`m not trying to antangonize you Rebocardo, just curious to know if things are that much different between your area and mine and trying to give you an idea of the red pine market that I`m familiar with. Typically a contractor gets paid for clearing the land to get rid of the red pine. As an example, the log dump in a nearby city where the arbos dump the unchippable stems and chips, red pine doesn`t even get taken by the firewood scavengers yet I`ve seen basswood, poplar and willow being taken. Tubgrinders rule! LOL

My guess is that since Ever Green apparently has the equipment to selectively remove the pine, that maybe he is looking for some idea of what he should ask his friends and fellow members of the gun club for to do the job. Am I close Ever Green?

BTW Ever Green, you never told us how good this red pine is.

SwampDonkey

Red pine has a very poor price here for pulp and only valuable enough when it's 12 " and up for telephone poles and other treated products. I know there is a small market out there for red pine furniture and planing-mill products (sash, doors, blinds, interior finish). Mom has a red pine kitchen table, but I notice it does not take a finish to well.

Red pine is also known as Norway Pine. But, it is native of course.

Thank You Sponsors!