iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look Ma!!!

Started by Greenedive, April 01, 2007, 02:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenedive

Any of you guys have to contend with these babies? About time they were waking up again. :(

Cedarman

When my kids were little, I had trouble waking them up too. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Too much Crockadile Hunter..... Well not any more.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Wood_Niche

I haven't seen any yet, but yep they should showing !!!!
(The kids don't seem to nervious holding it....even though its dead)

Radar67

I got my first one Friday morning, in the driveway, with the sharpshooter.  ;) It was of the poisonous variety.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Good move quelling the fear of our world's other species.  Educated properly they will recognize those where danger is involved and resist harming those, arbitrarily, that are harmless or even beneficial.

Our Vipers never really stop crawling.  We must remain on the lookout all year long.  They do get out a lot more when spring has sprung.  Palmetto patches, stacks of lumber and log yards bring them close to our habitation, looking for small rodents and large insects for dinner.  If you have a place that breeds rats or harbors roaches, you are apt to have snakes.  They aren't all poisonous.  A black snake, corn snake, mud snake, gopher snake or grass snake isn't a bad thing to have around the barn.  Unfortunately, they and the poisonous snakes, all eat the same fare and it pays to be able to identify them.

Granted, the safest thing is to swat and ask questions later, but the smartest thing is to try to keep the beneficial ones happy and just send the poisonous one's saddle home.

I don't go looking for them.  In the woods they are all at home, just trying to make a living.  I make the distinction when a harmful animal takes up residence on my turf.

Keep on educating your kids.  It's the right thing to do.  :)

WDH

One copperhead so far.  The non-poisonous ones get a gentle re-location by me to the woods.  We don't bother the poisonous ones unless they are in the yard, on the porch, etc.  These, unfortunately, we have to deal with more harshly.  We will see a number of non-poisonous ones, and maybe 4 or 5 of the dangerous variety each year.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

Glad we don't have those problems up here  8)  We've got a little rattler but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BigTrev

No snakes down here, no scorpions or really any nasty critters.  ;D

Only 2 deadly spiders even and they are pretty rare at best. Not much that will actually cause you harm in the whole country, guess thats why they call it Gods-own. :)

Cant think of a place I'd rather be.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

WDH

BigTrev,

Can't say I blame you.  I found New Zealand to be the most gorgeous place that I have ever been. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I heard that all those fellows down there had developed big feet and long toes so that they could hang on.  :D

Kcwoodbutcher

I have a friend from New Zealand who said there's not much of anything - reptile, mammal, or insect that could harm you. You could go wandering in the woods day or night with no fear. Now that's just not fair. She also said that customs inspections were very diligent in keeping it that way.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WDH

Yep,  When I visited the country and stated on the customs form that I had visited a forest or farm in the last 30 days, they washed my boots before I could clear customs.

Greenedive

BigTrev,
I do see that New Zealand does have a couple of poisonous sea snakes that occasionally visit your shores...so there is some hope for a little excitement in your country. ;D

Where I grew up about 50 miles from here, there were no poisonous snakes, but here where I live now the Timber Rattler is quite prevalent with an occasional Copperhead thrown in. I wish it were otherwise. :(
When I 1st worked in snake country everyone said they are more afraid of you than you are of them...I have found that statement to be false...the rattlesnakes I have encountered in the wild have without exception shown no fear whatsoever and most have coiled up and were ready to strike if you came near them at all, even when they were right beside brush they could easily slip away into. I don't like taking a chance with them, especially when sometimes you are working a good hour from a hospital. I know that few people actually die from snakebite anymore if they recieve prompt medical attention, but I have also seen after a guy has been bitten that in about 10 minutes he is a VERY sick man.
When you actually see snakes crawl into the tops and brush where they have pushed a haul road in and then have to cut the marked timber that is growing up through that brush...that is not fun...more than once I've stepped on a stick and had it come up and hit me in the back of the calf or be walking on that brush and your foot slips and your leg goes down.... Yowzer!!! Not Fun at all....
and another thing...they do NOT taste like chicken...at least not any chicken I've ever eaten...they taste more like...well....snake. ;D

fuzzybear

That's another reason I live WAY up north....no snakes, skunks,or raccoons. Just mosquitos the size of b-52 bombers :o
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Ken

Sure makes me appreciate where I live and work.  Although our woods are full of creatures, both large and small, the chances of one attacking you are slim, none to zero.   8)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

kczbest

I have only seen one so far this year. An almost 3' Moccasin will certainly get your attention (especially when your snake leggings are in the back of your truck) I was with one of those true pain in the rear smart a-- clients. He asked what kind of snake it was. I told him it was a small Mississippi Cotton-Mouth Diamond-Back Rattle-Moccasin.  :D :D :D
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

raycon

My wife and kids were out cross country skiing last week or the week before. Sitting in the middle of the trail was a gardner snake -- alive. On snow.  I thought it was a tale but my youngest who can tell no fib said it was true.

Youngest swooshing along.  Funny how kids can find x-country skiing in slush fun. Of course no photo's of the snake on snow exist.
Lot of stuff..

Radar67

Welcome to the forum KC. What part of NE MS are you from? I try not to get away from my truck without my chaps this time of year, especially around my creek. Those moccasins will definitely get your attention.  :o

Raycon, my first real snake experience was a moccasin coiled up in a mud puddle with ice forming around the edged (December) back in the late 70s while squirrel hunting with my uncle.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

kczbest

Radar, I am just outside of Columbus.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

wwsjr

I am your neighbor to the north, 8 miles south of Fulton on Hwy25.

The copperheads are moving in our area also.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

semologger

already have gotten 1 cotton mouth and 2 water moccasin.

seems like 50 ticks in last week i could deal with snakes than these ticks.

fuzzybear our mosquitos have flashlights. lol no its just lightning bugs we call em.

D Martin

Not many poisoin snakes here ,but we got these monster whitetail deer  :o  gota shoot em whenever we get a chance  very dangerous :D

semologger

if ya ever need any help with the deer just let me Know ill be there in a hurry smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

we got some big one here also but i cant seem to find em

Thank You Sponsors!