iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut but what kind?

Started by dad2nine, March 31, 2007, 10:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

I've cut my fair share of black walnut around here, but this tree was a little different, smelled, tasted, upset my sinus like black walnut. The bark was a lot darker and the wood is a lot lighter than any black walnut I've cut before. Came out of a yard, of a old long ago abandoned farm house. It's walnut that I know, but what kind is it, any ideas? Please don't answer farm yard walnut either  :D

inspectorwoody

I would say it is Black Walnut. Some of the thousands of feet of Walnut I have inspected seem to have a greenish color to it also.

I have seen many different color variations in lumber over the years.

Gadget

TnSawyer

what are you walnut guys getting /bf for green rough sawed 4/4 walnut? I have some fresh cut and some air drying.  I was thinking of $2.00 /bf.  I try to cut this stuff  for the best face.  I also have a couple mantles cut out drying.  Not sure how to price this either.  I dont have alot of walnut but when I get it it is free.  I dont want to sit on it very long, but I would like to make a few dollars on it.             

Go Higher or lower?

inspectorwoody

TnSawyer

I would say you are in the ballpark....2 - 2.50/bf. I wouldn't go any lower than 2.00/bf for the upper stock...Sel/Btr.

As was mentioned in another thread...make sure you know what you are selling or you could get taken for a ride.

Gadget

dad2nine

Quote from: inspectorwoody on March 31, 2007, 10:33:57 PM

As was mentioned in another thread...make sure you know what you are selling or you could get taken for a ride.

Gadget

Elaborate please

inspectorwoody

I was talking in regards to the grade of lumber...FAS....F1F....Select.....so on.

Have an idea of the grade.

As an example a guy could buy a pack of 8' 1com or even 2com and if the seller doesn't know the walnut rules than the buyer could re-manufacture the lumber...rip...cut off etc. and have Sel/BTR lumber.

dad2nine

Have no idea what the grade rules are - for example what grade are those two book matched 8/4 x 12" x 7' show in the picture?

Left Coast Chris

If it was in a yard there is some chance it may be Claro (California) Black Walnut.  Claro is root stalk for grafting on english walnut for production and often people buy the Claro Black Walnut seedling from the nursery then graft on the english themselves.   Of course seeds can be started also but they are redilly available from nurserys in the west.

I have sawn a fair amount of Claro Black Walnut and it looks like the color you have in your pic. :o    Beautiful.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

dad2nine

Farmer I've sawed my fair share of BW like the next guy and am pretty confident this is not black walnut. It's walnut alright but not like anything I've cut before. I cut pretty low on the stump when I felled it and don't see any graft line in the lumber like you might with a Claro / English graft. I did notice when I was out at the log yard sawing this up yesterday, the Black Walnut that's out there has a lighter colored bark, this had a blacker bark. Also, unlike black walnut it did not throw off dark saw dust, it was red-ish orange.

It's hard for me to know exactly what kind of walnut it is without a leaf to look at and I cut it before it started to leaf. Some folks who looked at it are saying it's butternut, which is native to NC. But I have never cut any of that before so I don't know about that either. It's still a mystery to me, although I'm leaning twords some kind of English walnut... only because I have no idea what kind it is, but I can say, it's some right pretty stuff whatever it is.

I appreciate your response, does Claro grow without being grafted? If so that might explain something.

SwampDonkey

Was there < 1 inch sap? And is the wood light and soft?

These are butternut pictures. But like farmer77 suggests, yours could be Claro, tan-brown heart with dark strips and spots.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warren

dad2nine,

I have no idea what type of wood it is.  But the first two pieces sure look pretty.  Good job !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

dad2nine

Well I have came to a conclusion, it's walnut, exactly what kind, who knows? I'm going to kiln dry it with a load of black walnut and hope it comes out ok.

Thanks everyone  ;D

Jim_Wahl

Butternut is often referred to as White Walnut and it is pretty light in color. Your pictures look
a little too dark to be Butternut to me, but I could be wrong. If it is Butternut you might want to
hang on to it for a while. It will soon be as scarce as American Chestnut, and for the same
reason. When I bought a 40 acre patch of timer in 1988, you could look through the trees
and see hundreds of Butternut saplings. And every one of them was dead. Since then, all
of the larger ones died, too. I keep hearing of a few around here that are still alive, but the
few that I have been able to check up on personally have been misidentified. I think they
will be basically extinct very soon, if they are not already.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

TexasTimbers

One of my Tree I.D. books has a species called Texas Walnut. I don't have the book in hand but will scrounge around for it, unless Texas Walnut is a species you are already familiar with and know it is not that.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

Okay forget that idea. I found the book. TexasWalnut does not get anywhere near that large. Those are beauties by the way. How did you cut them? I ask because I can't tell how wide those crotch slabs are and am wondering if you used a chainsaw mill for those or if your bandmill is wide enough to have cut them.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Yeah Kev, J. microcarpa. Also there is Arizona walnut J. major. There are 6 natives to the US, including two California species. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SAW MILLER

I have been getting 2.75 for 8/4 one  face at my wholesale market.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

dad2nine

Is that 2.75 8/4 one face for kiln dry or green?

Thanks

Ron Wenrich

I've been averaging $2/bf for log run 8/4 walnut, no butts and green, and wholesale.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dad2nine

Kinda curious what ya'll are paying for BW logs delivered assuming your buying from a logging outfit. The only reason I'm asking is BW in the log prices just doubled here in the past month. Wondering if it's local to me or are ya'll seeing the same thing?

Thanks

SAW MILLER

That price of 2.75 is for green 8/4 one clear face.We send trailer loads of either walnut or cherry to the same buyer.The last load was 70% top grade.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ohsoloco

Speaking of walnut, I just picked up a load this afternoon.  Yard tree, pretty good size, but  there must me at least 3-4" of sapwood on these logs  :-\  Of all the walnut and cherry I've sawn, if one face is mostly sapwood and the other is mostly heartwood, the boards bow and cup something fierce.  What about boards that are almost all sapwood  ???  It will be for my own use, but don't want to waste my time if sapwood boards are going to move too much.  I may just try a few, but if it isn't going to work I'd rather slab extra heavy and add to the firewood pile for next winter  ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ohsoloco on April 03, 2007, 07:36:59 PM
What about boards that are almost all sapwood  ??? 

steam or stain it to match the heartwood. ;)

ohsoloco

I'm not interested in color matching, just whether or not the board will remain relatively stable when drying. 

SwampDonkey

I think walnut is quite a bit more stable than cherry when it comes to sapwood content.

Thank You Sponsors!