iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RBI 820 4-in-1 Owners

Started by TexasTimbers, March 31, 2007, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I know there are a few of you. I just got an acceptable quote from the guy who has this once used machine still on the factory pallet.

What I would like to know from 820 users before I buy it, is what do you see as the pros and cons on the machine.

Although I am still waiting to hear form woodhick and Dave on those machines.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

dewwood

Kevjay,

I had an 820 RBI several years ago.  It would be a good machine for a serious hobbyist or a small shop.  It has great deal of flexibility as far the different tasks you can perform.  Mine had the two speed drive shortly after that they went to the variable speed drive which I would consider to be a good improvement.  I thought I would make custom moldings but never really went that way and used it mainly for planing so I bought a commercial planer and sold the RBI.  The guy who bought it loves it and has made good use of it.  I would say if you are planning on doing a lot of molding look for an older molding machine, they can be had for a reasonable amount and work better for doing large jobs.  The RBI will do it but there are several steps involved in the process(like about ten) and it becomes very time consuming setting up for each job.  If you do decide to get it I would recommend leaving it on the skid it comes on unless you are going to fasten it securely to the floor.  There is a certain amount of vibration which the wood pallet absorbs, I think RBI even recommends this.

Good luck with your decision! :)
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

TexasTimbers

Thanks dewwood. I have another question. The only reason I want an RBI or woodmaster over an ordinary planer is not for the moulding or sanding features but for the gang rip feature for siding,  paneling, and T&G blanks for flooring and cedar lining. Would you say this machine accels at this feature or is only marginally better than a table saw???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

dewwood

It does an excellent job of making blank stock.  I had three saws on mine and could turn out a lot of blanks in a short time.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!