Another man killed in a tree

Started by Kevin, March 31, 2007, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Man Killed While Trimming Tree

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 30, 2007; Page B03

An amateur tree-trimmer, working on limbs 30 feet above the ground, was killed in Fairfax County on Wednesday when a branch splintered and struck him in the neck, police said yesterday.

The man was identified as Phuoc Huu Le, 53, of the 7500 block of Axton Street in Springfield. Officers said he had been hired by the owner of an empty house in the Falls Church area to prune branches of an oak tree in the back yard.

Phuoc Huu Le, 53, of Springfield was killed Wednesday while cutting branches from this tree in the Falls Church area. Le, who was not a professional tree-trimmer, was struck by a branch that had splintered.

Le had already trimmed several limbs when he cut most of the way through a large branch that snapped back and struck him about 5 p.m., Officer Donald R. Gotthardt said. Firefighters were called to rescue Le, who remained in the tree, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Neighbors said the house, in the 3400 block of Annandale Road, had recently been sold. The new owner could not be identified yesterday. Le's family was not home yesterday and could not be located for comment. Investigators said they think that Le was unemployed and that the new homeowner had hired him so Le could make some money.

At the base of the tree yesterday, a candle and some incense had been burned, surrounded by fresh pears, apples and grapefruit. Two gas-powered chain saws and two lengths of white rope lay nearby.

Experts said that significant tree work should be handled by professionals. "Tree care, in general, is one of the most hazardous professions," said John Sevier, an arborist and tree accident expert in San Diego who analyzes tree-related injuries and deaths.

"What makes tree accidents so common is that tree workers or arborists are suspended in the air," Sevier said. "Anything that happens to you, you always have the possibility of falling. And you're running a chain saw, which adds another element of danger, because you can easily cut yourself or your safety equipment."

If a tree-trimmer does cut himself while suspended in a tree, Sevier said, he can bleed to death before help arrives. Or cut branches can fall "in an unpredictable way," possibly causing a severe or fatal injury.

Tree-trimmers also come into contact with overhead power lines. "That probably happens with frightening frequency," Sevier said, adding that branches can conduct a fatal amount of electricity.

Such hazards help explain "why a properly trained, certified arborist charges a substantial fee. It's because we have to have the safety equipment, the training" and certification, Sevier said.

Sevier said property owners should hire only certified arborists, who carry a card from the International Society of Arboriculture. For large jobs, consumers should be sure that the arborist is a licensed contractor who will be able to assume full responsibility and have the proper equipment.

Sevier also said homeowners should call their local power company to see whether their targeted trees are near power lines. Utility workers will typically "come out for free and advise the homeowner," Sevier said, and if limbs are near high-voltage lines, the company often will also trim them at no charge.

DanG

Man, that's awful!  The poor guy was just trying to make a buck doing something he thought was easy.  Well, it is pretty easy, IF you know what you're doing!  Branches are pretty predictable if you have studied the dynamics of cutting them, but they can sure give you some grief if you haven't!  I'll bet this guy "barberchaired" the branch by not notching the underside of it.

The homeowner is not without blame, here.  He should have hired a pro.  Cheap SOB! >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

That's right Dan, most large limbs are leaning out and away from the tree putting a huge amount of tension in them.
It's just like cutting a large leaner on the ground except you have no where to run.
I would have liked to have seen the branch to get the real story.
Too bad for the family.

rebocardo

> I'll bet this guy "barberchaired" the branch by not notching the underside of it.

Yes, he was probably leaning over the branch itself near the trunk/collar when it happened.

> I would have liked to have seen the branch to get the real story.

Makes me sick in the stomach knowing this guy who probably didn't even speak English was killed doing this job.

sawguy21

We sell climbing gear and deal with arborists regularly. I am new to this part of the industry and it has been a real eye opener. We have some real pros and then there are some I would not have on my property. Very dangerous work and too many ways to get hurt or killed. I agree with DanG, sounds like the guy was not properly trained and was working under the table. The potential for a large lawsuit is there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Trent

I just rented a JLG lift and cut a couple trees down (on some rental property) that measured about 30" dia. at the base. I've probably only cut half dozen or so this big in my time, no pro to say the least. I notched the large limbs, and tried to predict the outcome. For the most part, they fell as I expected, but I have to admit I was a bit nervous at times. What is barberchaired?
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

Tom

This is a Barberchair and it is caused by no face cut, too small of a face cut that closes before the tree is on the ground, dutchman where the face cut is not cleanly cut or rotten wood or a tree that is leaning at too great an angle and falls with too much holding wood.  Not only will the tree split, but it can also rush backwards and take you out.

rebocardo

Check this video, the guy almost goes out of a tree ... because the top he is cutting is roped to the tree! Never seen anything so stupid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DFC5gyrLs

Kevin

That happened for two reasons.
The top was too big and primarily the groundman didn't let it run.

sawguy21

rebocardo

No, only one reason, stupidity  :D

Kevin

Putting wraps on a friction brake can take some guessing and lots of experience.
Experienced ground people are extremely valuable.
I had a guy lock up a top on me today but the piece was small enough the shock load wasn't that great but I got a decent ride out of it.

rebocardo

Luckily it looks like his stupidity did not seriously injure him.

Jeff

Looking at that, like Kevin implies, I think it was the groundman's error.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Once the top is cut the guy on the tree is at the mercy of the groundman.
When I'm working with someone new I like to go with smaller pieces.

rebocardo

> Once the top is cut the guy on the tree is at the mercy of the groundman.

Especially when the top is heavy with branches, over 20 feet tall, and would qualify as a tree all by itself  :D

I was surprised the line itself didn't break.

It is hard to tell in the video if that big object that goes flying is his chainsaw?

I have wondered if that is why the lanyards for saws are rated for only 150 pounds, so if you get caught like that the saw breaks free without slamming back into you or yanks you more. Good theory? 

Kevin

My Buckingham is rated for two hundred pounds and is designed that way for saw snatchers.
That usually happens when the top cut on a limb is ahead of the bottom cut on a jump cut.

Quoteobject that goes flying
That's his hardhat without the chin strap.

rebocardo

Thanks Kevin, didn't know that.

> That usually happens when the top cut on a limb is ahead of the bottom cut on a jump cut.

Not sure what that means ...

Kevin

The branch being cut from the top fractures across to the bottom cut breaking off prematurely.
It grabs hold of the bar and drags the saw and climber out of the tree.

DanG

Thats a nifty little drawing, Kevin, and it explains a lot.  Now could you explain the proper way to do it?  There is a lot on the forum about felling trees, but not much on removing branches.  They can kill you just as dead.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

Dang;
The cuts should line up.
Bottom cut first and top cut second, the method of cut will be determined by the size of branch being cut.
For a tree that you are just removing a branch from and not removing the tree you will want to do this in two stages.
Cut the branch as described outside the branch collar to drop the branch and then go back to the collar and make a finishing cut just outside the branch collar which allows the wound to heal over keeping the tree healthy.
This way the branch won't peel the bark off and damage the tree.

Phorester

Well, this is interesting.  We had an Asian immigrant killed in our town several years ago when cutting down a small tree in a yard where he had been hired to do some cleaning up.  The tree was only about 12" diameter at the ground, but he had never used a chainsaw before, let alone cut down a tree. I don't remember the details now, but somehow he had put himself on the wrong side of the tree at the base of it, and it fell on top of him. A lot of weight and mechanical forces even in a small tree. 

sawguy21

This past week, a man was was injured when the tree he was topping went down with him in it. Apparently he is an experienced faller and was wearing a harness. He crawled to a nearby cabin where the resident, a retired doctor, patched him and was able to call for a medivac. He was working alone and fortunately the cell phone worked in the isolated area.

Kevin

sawguy, do you happen to have a news link for that one?

sawguy21

Thank You Sponsors!