iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for GPS users

Started by CHARLIE, March 28, 2007, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

My father-in-law would like to purchase a GPS unit that will measure the distance from one point to another in yards. The one he has and the ones he sees advertised measure distance in miles.  As an example, he would like to be able to determine how many yards location 'A' is from location 'B' and it will most usually be less than a mile.

So, I'm asking those of you that use GPS units a lot. Is there something like this available and if so what is the brand and model.

Thanks in advance.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

brdmkr

I have a Garmin something????  It gives the distance in miles, but as you get closer it converts to yards and then feet.  I am pretty sure I saw where I could convert it metric as well.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

CHARLIE

Brdmkr, do you know the model?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

brdmkr

I'll try to post for sure tomorrow, but  I THINK it is a trekker?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

isawlogs

Charlie ,
I have a Magellan explorist 200 and it has the feet , yard , mile ... and metric ,distance thingy  .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

Are there GPS units that only measure in miles?  I'm starting to wonder if he just doesn't know how to read the feet and yards.  Or maybe the cheaper ones only read in miles.
Charlie

TexasTimbers

I was exploring these things last year and did something that has happened alot lately. I got so much information on so many different models I ended up with Buyers Paralisys and never even bought one.
One thing about this internet, it gives me information overload. It took me two years to buy a moisture meter because everytime i would research them I would get BP and say just forget it I can't make up my mind.
I'm glad the Good Lord saw fit to choose my wife for me. I might still be a bachelor.

Someone needs to start a non profit for those with BP Syndrome.  We tell them what product we want, they ship us one and send us the bill. Simple.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

Thought that's what box stores did Kev ???

Gary_C

Charlie

All GPS receivers have essentially the same software. The only difference price makes is the amount of memory, electronic compass, color screens, etc. For all of them you have to be able to change units, coordinate systems, and things like units of distance.

That does not say that the means to change units of distance will be easy to find. They all have very confusing menus that must be traversed to make changes. When in doubt, read the instructions. If that does not work, just start searching thru menus and don't worry, it's hard to wreck it just by pushing buttons.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Like Gary says, that functionality is in their somewhere. Some of these consumer units have several menu levels and combinations of buttons to get there. Just about drive ya nuts until you practice at it to get to the menu you want.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johnjbc

The LCD on my old GPS went south so I ordered a new DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20. And a quick at the manual shows  that you can set it to:
Statutes Miles
Kilometers
Nautical Miles/Feet
Nautical Miles/Meters

Looks like a pretty good set of features so far. Can't test it till the taxes are done.
Will be using it to layout skid trails for a test.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

brdmkr

The Garmin that I have is an eTrex Legend (I thought it was a trekker, but it is not).  It records miles until you get with about a half of mile then if goes to yards and then feet.

I really use it a good bit.  It is really handy when traveling.  When you miss a turn, it is easy to use it to get back on the right path.

crtreedude

Charlie, just a quick point - you do know that the acuracy won't be more than 3 yards usually?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

Well, shucks!  That isn't very accurate.  My yard is about 105 feet wide. :D

ronwood

Tom,

Think it is time that you get your sawmill back. 1 yard = 105 ft.  :) :) :)  smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Radar67

Charlie, I have the Garmin Etrex Vista and am very pleased with it. It allows you to change the measurement units. Once the distance gets over 999 feet, it reads out in miles. I use Map Source with it on the computer to save my information to a topo map. My best accuracy with it has been 10 feet. It usually gets to within 19 feet regularly.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Gary_C

Quote from: crtreedude on March 30, 2007, 11:48:55 AM
Charlie, just a quick point - you do know that the acuracy won't be more than 3 yards usually?

As compared to what?

You remember the old saying: Confucis says "a man with one watch always knows what time it is, but a man with two is never quite sure."

How can you tell which one of Tom's yards you are actually in?   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

slowzuki

Magellan Merridian you can set what units you want it to display in.  I have elevation set to feet and trip distance in metres.  Total distance odometer is set to km's but it maxed out.  It has travelled about 50,000 km's in the last 5 years I've owned it, mostly from two trips across the country.

Thank You Sponsors!