iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you ever see floating black spots in your vision, go to the eye doctor fast.

Started by Modat22, March 28, 2007, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

About two weeks ago, I was sick as a dog with the sinus, coughing sneezing thing. Started seeing black floating spots a couple days later. I figured since it was in both eyes it was probably related to being sick so I put off the eye doc visit.

Well the spots didn't go away and where driving me nuts and make a call, the guy tells me to rush over asap. Well I go and low and behold he finds a tearing retina and does immediate laser treatment right there. I was told that if I put it off to long I could have lost vision in that eye. As it is now I'll have some vision impairment because I waited 2 weeks to see him.

Point of the post is if you see the little black floaters all the sudden have your eyes checked, it might save you some grief.
remember man that thy are dust.

woodmills1

Believe or not my father got a torn retina walking my brothers dogs in NYC.  They walked him into a street post and the sudden stop on his head detached his retina.  H edied almost exactly a year ago today of bone cancer but belive me the retina thing bothered him from the day it happened.  wouldnt wish it on an enemy.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ohsoloco

I've had those black floaters ever since I can remember  :-\  I really only notice them if I'm looking at a light colored wall, ceiling, or other large object.  Eye doc said this isn't a big deal unless they get bigger or more of them show up.  Can't remember what he said caused it, something in the fluid in your eye perhaps.  Just talking about them makes me notice them floating around the computer screen  :(

Onthesauk

I had "floaters" a couple of years ago.  When I finally broke down and went to the eye doctor he said it was just part of the normal aging process.  Every once in awile it is serious so worth having it checked, but nine times out of ten, not serious, especially if you are in that late 50's, early 60's range.

Seems like every time I turn around there is another of those "part of the normal aging process" things sneaking up on me.  I'm just a year ahead of the first of the "boomers" so get a preview of what millions are in for. :D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Faron

Modat, Glad to hear you are doing well.  Did you notice any areas where your field of vision was impaired while this was happening?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Dales rt hand

Yep, been there, done that....  cept they said it was due to "maturation"  they didn't want to come right out and say I was gettin old.  I noticed mine on shift changes between me and grandpa when gramma was in the hospital... I thought my visor was down, but it wasn't.  Doc said the vitreous humor (jelly) in the eye can sometimes pull on the retina...... did a real thorough exam... felt like I had veen abducted by aliens......
Dale's Right Hand, aka, Granddaughter Heather
"Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light."

Modat22

Aye I didn't go because most of the time black floaters are normal, but there is a chance that its not. IN my case it wasn't so don't take a chance.

I have a couple areas in my right eye that have a blooming appearance. My retina hasn't completely detached or torn much. Hopefully i should get most of my normal vision back once the scar tissue forms and locks the retina back in place. I can't do allot of work for awhile because I could blow a weakened blood vessel and I don't mind being lazy.

My biggest problem right now is being able to read, all these black islands cover too much text and I have to use my side vision.
remember man that thy are dust.

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Lankyloader

Those floaters bother quite a few people as one gets older. When they first show up they are bothersome but one gets to ignore them after a while.It comes with the "Golden Years" but even gold tarnishes now and then.

Woodcarver

I had floaters often as a youngster. Related to eye surgery I had as 7 year old.

I took my wife in the have a floater checked a couple of weeks ago, her first experience with them. Turned out to be harmless.  The optomologist told her that  floaters are usually harmless unless there is flashing white light at the periphary of a person's vision.  Don't know that I would want to rely on that though.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Paschale

A lot of people have those floaters--I know I do, and I'm like ohsoloco, I see them looking at a white wall, or into the sky, and they can bother me.  But it sounds like Modat's came on all of a sudden, and I suppose any big new change to the eyes is worth checking out. 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

wesdor

When I logged on today there were 9 pages of unread posts - I've been rather busy for the past several days.  Modat - your post hit the nail on the head.  I haven't been online due to my wife having a torn retina!  You are  so correct - if anyone sees strange things in their eyes, get to a doctor at once.  It could be dark spots or even flashes of light.  In any case, get to a doctor ASAP

In my wife's case, she had a dark spot that quickly enlarged.  There was a tear in the bottom of her retina and some of the pigment seeped into the vitreous of her eye.  By the time she got to the doctor, she had lost 3/4 of the vision in her left eye.  Thankfully there is a fine retina surgeon in our area and he did the surgery on the next day.  The doctor was able to repair the damage and he thinks she will regain sight.  Currently she has a gas bubble in her eye which must rest against the retina. This means keeping your head in a prone position.  If she doesn't keep her head in the prescribed position, the gas bubble will cause a cataract on her eye - so not much chance to cheat.

In her case, the doctor believes this happened due to a birthday which began with 5.  As someone else said, aging is just not all that fun.  We are just so thankful that all has worked out as well as it has so far.

Thanks for warning everyone - you are exactly correct.

Peakebrook

When it comes to flashes, floaters, or developing a curtain effect in your vision, what is important is a change from your normal.  Everyone gets floaters as calendars progress.  Floaters are normally the result of proteins clumping together in the jelly-like substance (vitreous) in your eye.  Flashes occur when the vitreous pulls on the retina.  Developing a curtain in your vision often means a retinal detachment has occurred.

When someone develops new floaters or any flashes or curtain, they should be examined by an Ophthalmologist ( Eye MD).  Treatment is often simple when there is only a tear.  But if a retinal detachment occurs, surgery is more complicated and permanent vision loss can result.
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Thank You Sponsors!