iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tradin up

Started by stumpy, March 27, 2007, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Hey gang,  I'm lookin for some input.  I have the oppotunity to upgrade my mill.  I have a 1999 LT30 25HP Kohler with the log handling package.  It's got 1880 hours and is in good shape.  I'm looking at a 1995 LT40 with the Onan 24. It has full hydraulics.  Other than the hydraulics, Is there much difference in the mill operation or design from the 1995 model to th 1999 model?  I know it's longer, but anything else I should know?  It only has about 800 hours on it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Bibbyman

I'm thinking the control box should be the same..  We had a 94 manual and a 96 hydraulic and the boxes were the same so all the buttons were in the same place and worked the same way.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

if i were you looking to trade up (and knowing what I know being me), the dual plane clamp is super handy. they added that option in 1997, I think, and Wood-mizer does not endorse this change to an older model :(...

all of that said, if it's a good deal, then go for it!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jackpine

I have to agree with Dan as the two plane clamp is so versatile I for one could not go back to the older style clamp. Just my 2 ¢ worth.

Bill

Dan_Shade

uses for the 2 plane clamp:

turning cants (if you're good, you can flip to the left or to the right)

the other day, I used it to lift a large log that was only 8' long and I needed to get it to the leveler.  I lifted the log, stuck a small round of firewood under it, and lowered the clamp, then pushed it down a few inches and repeated until I got it to where I wanted it.

the clamp also allows you to "soften the blow" of a turning cant.  you can flip it with the claw, and use the clamp to keep the cant from slamming down on the bed.

smashing beer cans

i'm sure there are more uses

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

But still, two-plane clamp aside,  going from a manual to a hydraulic is still a good trade up if the $$s are right.  You won't miss the two-plane clamp if you've never had it.

Get the older HD mill then you'll have something to trade up to next time.  Then to a Super, then to an LT70, then to an LT300..... 
Sawing since '94

Kelvin

When i was looking at used woodmizers i called woodmizer and they told me all of the major design change dates.  I think '99 was when they changed the bearings on the bandwheels to something much more massive.  The salesman told me to make sure i get one that was '99 or newer as they were much improved.  Just an idea.  good luck,
Kelvin

stumpy

I'm not sure what is meant by 2 plane clamp.  The mill has the Large jagged claw to turn with then it has a flat clamp thet flips over for larger logs
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Dan_Shade

the two plane clamp has an additional hydraulic circuit that moves the clamp up and down.

Engineer

I've seen Dave Scott from WM Northeast use the 2-plane clamp on a LT40Super to flip cants, and he doesn't even bother with the claw turner, just picks the cant up from either side and flips it left or right.  It's really slick.  Me, I gotta flip everything with a cant hook or brute force.  :(

raycon

My 1989 LT40HD and 2006 LT40HD both make the same quality lumber. The 36hp Nissan makes a difference and Accuset is sweet but its the hydraulics in general that made the biggest difference. I started off with a LT20 on a LT30 frame no hydraulics -- wish I kept that mill and that pace at times.

Lot of stuff..

Bibbyman

Here is the two-plane clamp used on the newer Wood-Mizers.  The clamp slides in and out on that big pollished rod.  Then the clamp section (to the left) also raises and lowers about 11".  So it can go in-out and up/down.  The clamp will go below the height of the deck so you can run under a cant and bring it up and out at the same time - thus flipping the cant.  There are quite a number of times you can use this handy function that I won't list here.

Here is the clamp part raised about 8".  Unfortuantaly,  I was sawing about 6" from the bed when I sawed into it.  Nothing hurt but the blade.!

Here is yet another good picture of the two-plane clamp. 

One big advantage it has is that it can pull down on the cant and keep it down so that the stress in the cant is not released. 

Here is the old-style clamp in action (not the cabinet clamp on the near end of the log). It runs in and out on a square tube. No up/down action.

It has a "flapper" that can be up or down (as shown). 

It only raises about 5" in the flipped up mode.  Sometimes with large logs or logs with bow or crook, that's not enough.  Also, it can only put clamp presure so it can't stop the cant from bowing under stress.  Also, also ....  you can't use it to flip cants. 

Still,  it's a good bit better than manual!

Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

agreed, but after sawing with the 2 plane clamp, seeing the older style, i kind of liken it to using a hammer with no thumbs!

raycon

The hydraulic turner can be used to hold the log in place as well. Large and odd ball logs I still do this with and I have the two stage clamp.

Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!