iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LeeB's offshore photos

Started by LeeB, March 24, 2007, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Cool!! It worked. First pic after been on here I don't know how many years now. The grey thing is a type of drilling rig called a "Jack Up". The red thing sticking out of the water is a production platform. We come in with the rig and drill the wells for the platform and when finished with the drilling we leave. As the wells are drilled they are brought on line by production and continue to produce after we leave till the resevoir is depleted. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mr Mom

Very cool.
     Do you take the drilling rig when you leave??
     How stays withg the production platform??
     How many wells do you drill before you leave??
     Enough Question for now.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

LeeB

The rig is portable, the platform is fixed. We leave when we are finished drilling. We are a contractor that drills the wells and along with other service providers make them producable for the operator. The operator has production personnel that take care of that end of it, not our area of buisiness, we just make the wells. The number of wells can range from just one to 20 or more depending on the size of the field. Wells may produce for many years or only months, also dependant on resevoir size and how greedy the operator gets. Not all oil or gas in place is produced. At some point it is just not economicaly viable to keep producing deminishing volumes and some of it is just not accesable. LeeB

tdelorme

Looks like Woodmizer is really branching out. :D :D

semologger

wow do ya get to fish on  breaks?????? :)

TexasTimbers

I would get fired because I would always be slipping off the rig with my speargun shooting the evening meal. Hmmmm - on the other hand maybe they would create a new billet for me ;)

Nice pics. Many of us who are from the gulf states, as youth, often considered working on the rigs and of course many did. I have dove a rig on the Flower Gardens trip out of Freeport, but the Gardens themselves and Stetsons Reef got nixed for high seas which happens often on that trip.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

Aren't the currents around those rigs pretty stiff?

TexasTimbers

They can be. The two major deciding factors are location and season. Of course sudden currents can come out of nowhere just like rogue waves but it is rare. Rig diving has a cult following because it is often like shooting fish in a barrel.
It can be even more dangerous than recreational diving too because not only are you already in life support equipment, but you have the thrill of the hunt and the kill. Tunnel vision kills more spearfishers than sharks or currents, because you let yourself go too deep, get narc'd, drown, and die. In that order.
Or, you descend and ascend too quickly during the reel and chase that you embolise, drown, and die. In that order.

LeeB

No fishing allowed any more. Hooks are sharp and thats a safety hazzard so.....
I used to fish a lot and have caught some real whoppers. I once fed all the employees in the hospital where my wife used to work, about 300 people all together. Fried fish w/ 2 cookers for about 5 hours and still took half of my stash back home. I sure miss those days. LeeB

metalspinner

Some of my earliest memories from childhood was fishing offshore near the oil wells.  We used to catch a boatfull of speckled trout and red drum.  I remember once we slept out there.  Or maybe I just went to take a nap. :-\  I'll have to ask Dad. Anyway's lot's of fun for sure. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

I used to do some computer work on the offshore platforms here, mostly day trips, but got caught out there a couple of times by bad weather. The choppers could handle the wind OK, but one of the 'platforms' was a floating tanker, and that would start rolling too much for the chopper to land.

Was allways good to just have a look around and see the wildlife, there were allways fur seals around the rigs. Dont know how they found the place, it's 30 miles offshore, but they were allways resting on the supports and floating pipes. Saw lots of albatross and other seabirds, especially if there was a bit of wind and the albatross could wave soar, just running up and down the swells without moving their wings. Lots of fish around the rigs too, and even saw a whale on one trip. It just came up beside the rig, had a look at us and dived again.

I've got some pics at home that I can post later.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

The marine life is always interesting. Never saw a whale, but I ve seen a few whale sharks. I,ve seen many hundreds of beautiful sunrises and sunsets and have gotten stuck on the rig for three hurricanes. I saw 6 waterspouts in a line once and had one pass across the rig a couple times. I,ve seen more lightning strikes than i ever want to remember. Work goes on around here 24/7, rain or shine, 12 hour shifts. Life can be interesting out here sometimes but I would always rather be home. If I could just convince them to send me a check and let me stay home it would be great. LeeB

ScottAR

Great pics....

Is that a Letourneau drill rig?  They make one that looks like it... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LeeB

You been offshore before ain't you Scott? Yep, its a 116 C.

Ianab

Some pics from the local rigs.

This is the Maui B rig and the Floating Production Station (FPSO) with a tanker offloading. Weather was pretty normal that day  :D

From the FPSO looking back to the coast. The platform had a drilling rig mounted on it at this point as new wells were being drilled.

This is the 'B' platform without the drill rig.

And this is older and larger Maui A platform.

The FPSO has since been sold and towed away, but the other platforms are still producing natural gas.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Was that a 1000 or a 1500 HP rig on B platform? I worked many a year on platform rigs and don't miss them none at all. LeeB

ScottAR

Never...  I stay on the land where I'm supposed to be...  :D

I read about the rigs in a story of R.G. Letourneau.  Found it on Amazon.
Good read...  Guy was larger than life...

They build those rigs in Vicksberg (sp??) Mississippi. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LeeB

This is what a hurricane can do to a rig. It took a direct hit from Rita. It was found 70 miles from where we left it when we evacuated. It was next to a platform simular to the on in my first post. It took out the platform on the way past. 100's of $MM worth of damage to rig and
platform.

Mr Mom

LeeB...What do you do on the rig?? If you can tell.
     This is a very good post. Aways wanted to go and walk around the rig for a day.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

LeeB

Sure I can tell. Mostly I try not to do any more than need be :D :D. My job is a supervisory position called a tool pusher. We have 2 pushers, one days and one nights. I work nights. I keep the guys organized and make sure they are doing what we get paid for and see to it they are doing it safely. Most of the time I feel like a baby sitter. Working me are the drillers nad thier crews. They are the ones who work the machinery that drills the wells. Also under me are the crane operators anddeck crew. They take care of a lot of the house keeping and keep the drill floor supplied with material, offload and back load supply boats and such. There is a maint. dept. and although they don't work directly under me I still got a say as to what and when. aside from the regular rig crews there are various service companies that supply support equipment and know how for special parts of the operation such as directional drilling tools and electronic dta logging of the well. At any given time there are around 100 people on the rig, split into 2 - 12 hour shifts. A few more on days than nights, although the work load doesn't decrease at night >:(.
I'm glad you guys find this interresting. After 28 years of it I've started to decide I really don't care for it much. The money keeps me coming back though. Maybe I can make it 15 more years and then retire. LeeB

TexasTimbers

Shucks Lee. You gotta work 43 years before you can retire? I think you be better off quit chasing the money and get home to the honey for good! ;)

I don't have any rig experiences but when I was a flyboy in the USCG we were always having to go save a leaky old rat trap of a crew boat they ran to and fro the rigs and the mainland. My fondest memory of one such SAR happened one late night when we had to scramble to drop a pump to which was DITW (dead in the water) halfway between NOLA and the rig which was 90 or so miles out.

We found the boat, rigged the pump, opened the hatch (this was my favorite part of my job vectoring the pilot to within visual) and dropped our illustrious lifesaving high volume self-contained pump. The chute did not deploy. We nailed the bridge dead nuts on. Somehow we didn't take out the UHF and the cajun Cap'n was filling my ear with lessons on Advanced Cursing 101. I can't blame him. The pump package is in a big orange plastic container about 2' x 2' x 3' (circa 1983) and weighed I believe 65ish pounds, traveling at roughly 145 knots it impacted his bridge and raked a large chink of it overboard. Had it hit him it would have been instant cajun gumbo served up for the crew right then and there.

Can you imagine being in charge of a sinking vessel with like 20 POB in rough weather at night, and your brifge suddenly explodes and you soon realize the glorious US Coast Guard is bombing you ??? :D I can laugh now but we were worried sick to our stomachs, literally, until they got rescued. We thought we might have killed someone because he kept jabbering about "....killed someone..." We later learned he was saying we COULD have killed someone. No kidding.

We had assured him it was extremely rare for a chute not to deploy on a pump drop, and that we could rig another and have it dropped in a few minutes. He declined. Loudly. The boat sank while we were still loitering on station and a 95 footer arrived within the hour (maybe two hours been a long time) and scooped up a cold, wet, tired, MAD crew.
Of course w e could not see any of this. We gathered what little we could understand through his yelling and cursing, and it wasn't until the Captain of the 95 footer told us everyone made it aboard that we cracked open our box lunches and breathed a sigh of relief.

Glad it wasn't winter.

LeeB

It really ain't so bad as I make it out to be. i only work half the year and have time to do the things I like. I'm sure I could retire sooner if I really get fed up. Most nights I don't really have much work to do, just keep track of the guy's and a morning report. I don't have to do any physical work if I don't want to. Besides, I been sucking that paycheck teat so long I've kinda gotten hooked to the security of it. Not big enough of a gambler to try it on my own. Me and the sweety get along real well when I'm gone half tyhe time. She probably wooda run me off long ago otherwise :D. I miss out on a few things now and then, but get large blocks of time with the family, not just dinner and shower then to bed after working all day. It's got its plusses and minuses. All in all it ain't been a bad career.

highpockets

LeeB,

A fellow told me the other day that thye are now requiring a passport to go into the gulf.  My first days were with the now defunct Penrod Drilling Co. but that was in 1965.  I left the gulf in 1969 and was gone other places for 27 years. I went back out there as a directional driller for a few years. Man things had changed.   

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

LeeB

I saw some company correspondance to that effect. I never had to have one in the G.O.M. but right before I left they were starting to get pretty strict about seeing a photo ID before you could go out.

Mr Mom

What do you do with the drilling mud,brine all the other stuff??
     I know that when i worked in the oil feilds(welltender) we sucked out as much water out of the mud pits and then filled them in.
     Kind of hard to do that at sea.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

LeeB

Water based muds are sometimes dumped to the sea as long as there are no petroleum contaminates. If it is a high density mud it is recovered and used again on other wells. Oil based muds are recovered and used again. Same with brines. Produced water is seperated from the oil and gas and re-injected back into the earth. About produced water; most resevoirs are "water driven". This means that the oil or gas sits on top of a pool of water. Liquids for all intents are not compresible and the pressures tranmitted from the rock above and sometimes salt below is transfered to the water and this in turn gives the pressures in the resevoir. Not all resevoirs have enough pressure to flow on thier own and must be assisted to make the wells flow. This is what the pump jacks (horse heads) you see are for. These are not practical in an offshore invironment so Gas injection, water injection and submersable pumps are used to retrieve the oil till the production amounts become uneconomical. The wells are then cemented up and the surface equipment is removed and many time used again.

Mr Mom

Is there always a ship waiting to get filled with oil or do they store it and a tanker comes and get it when storage is full??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

LeeB

Most of it is tranported via pipe line. In some parts of the world it is gathered in an FSPO (floating, storage, production,offloading) and offloaded to tankers. This is generally in the very deep water and where there is no pipe line infrastructure. This is not done in US waters do to gov regs against.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on April 06, 2007, 02:44:12 PM
Most of it is tranported via pipe line. In some parts of the world it is gathered in an FSPO (floating, storage, production,offloading) and offloaded to tankers. This is generally in the very deep water and where there is no pipe line infrastructure. This is not done in US waters do to gov regs against.

The pictures I posted on the previous page show a FPSO unit. Thats the front tanker, the big structure on the front is the turret, it has a big swivel coupling and the anchors and gas/oil pipes connect there. The whole unit swings with the wind / current. The other tanker is loading oil to take to the refinery.

With this field the original platform produced gas only, and this was piped to shore. When the second platform was built nearby they extended the pipeline and made the new platform a slave. But after they drilled the new wells (into a deeper part of the field) they struck oil as well. The oil was too thick to pump through the gas pipe ( it kept cooling and going solid ) plus there was no oil pipeline from the shore station to anyplace else. So they built the FPSO, or converted it from a  retired supertanker to recover the oil. All the seperation equipment is mounted on the deck ( big centrifuges and gas trubines to power them). The oil / gas mix comes onto the platform and the oil /gas/ water get seperated. Oil is stored, gas goes back via another pipe and the water goes overboard after it's cleaned enough.

Cheers

Ian

LeeB

Thanks Ian. I only know what I've read about FSPO's. Never been around them. Hop I didn't botch the info too bad. LeeB

LeeB

Finally figured a way to get a mill to work with me :D

LeeB

A few more pics of my real job.

Supply boat

This is the Top Drive. It turns the pipe and the bit to drill the well.

This is Assaad, one of my Egyptian drillers

Here's a view of the derrick.

This is the lifting winch, called a drawworks. Lift capacity 1.5 million pounds. This is me hard at work in my office. You can't see it too well, but i do have on my FF hat

Tom

Is that clock reading 9:17 OTW time? *over the water or on the well or out the wazoo or...    :D

We have some guys down at the County Prison Farm with suits that look a lot like that.  :D :D :D

In a way, I envy you working out there.  I'd be fishing.

Then again, I don't know if my heart would stand the excitement.  It could get pretty dangerous way out there. :P

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mr Mom

Keep the pictures comimg.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

LeeB

Tom, The time was 9:00 in the am here. That wood be 1:00 in the am there. Actually i was just finished with my shift a couple hours before. We get a good laugh about the prison garb too. The color is for visibility in case you end up in the water. We used to wear blue, but we had a man go overboard in the North Sea a fews years back and he was never found. I used to spend hours and hours fishing but thats not allowed any more. Hooks are sharp and that's dangerous. No knives either.

Stephen, the slippers are actually deck shoes. We remove our work boots in the change room to avoid tracking grunge all over the livng quarters.

Mr Mom, I got some more pics. I just didn't want to load up too many at one time. Will put on some more tonight if I ain't gotta work to hard.  :D

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Tom

Sure is, Stump Jumper.   I want to see more.  I like that "at sea" stuff.  Maybe we could get a tour about how the place works.  :)

Norm

Cool stuff Lee, thanks for showing us. :)

LeeB

I,ve got some more pictures that I will try to post later tonighht or in the morning after I get off.
Tom, The picture tour will be kinda tough as it's not really that easy to take pictures around here. I have to fill out permits and do gas checks and lots of other red tape stuff. I think I can do sorta one with the pics I have. It'll have some gaps, but maybe you can get some idea.

Tom

Just she me a lot of that Blue water!!  Birds feeding.  Ships moving.  white caps and rollers.  ;D

LeeB

A few more shots.

one of the four cranes and a sister rig in the back ground

coouple of 750 horse D.C. motors for the mud pump. We have three mud pumps.

This is where we mix the chemicals that make up the drilling fluid. The "mud's" job is to transport cuttings to the surface, cool and lubricate the bit and drill string, and provide weighht to control formation pressure.

A view of the living quarters looking from the rig floor. We usually have about 110 people on board at any given time.

One of the three big diesel engines that run the generators. The same kind of motor used in locomotives only bigger.

Life boat, one of two.

A couple of tha men on break in the galley.

Drilled cuttings wating for transport to shore for cleaning and disposal. We fill several hundred of these boxes over the course of the well.

Old Fatthi, one of our crane operators. I think he was around before Moses was born.

This is some of the pipe used to case the well once it is drilled.

This big chunk of iron is the Blow out preventer. A big set of hydraulic controled packing elements to contain well pressure after somebody really screws up.

This is where I lay me down at the end of the day.

Tom

Almost like being aboard ship, 'cept you got more room.   

I never thought of the residue from punching the hole.  I'll bet you get a lot of flack from the eco-wackos on  that job too. 

That first picture of the crane and the ocean is serene.

Creating these platforms must have put a lot of engineers in the nut house.  A whole village on stilts with enough electricity being generated to run a small town.  I'll bet they don't chinch on the food either. Is it an "open" mess or are you on a schedule?

LeeB

Actually we are on a vessel Tom, it just has legs. When we finish all the well work here we lower the barge to the water and get towed to the next location. If you look at the very first picturre posted in this thread you can see two structures, one grey and one red. The red one is the platofrm with all the wells and production equipment. The grey one is the drilling rig. The platform is stationary with it's legs ancored in the sea floor.
There aren't too many eco wackos here. Basicaly the Egyptian government owns the wells with an Itallian oli company as operator. The people here don't enjoy as many freedoms as we do at home, so to complain could make for much misery. I don't think most here really care one way or the other.
Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2007, 07:33:15 PM
Creating these platforms must have put a lot of engineers in the nut house. 
Working with the stuff the engineers come up with make me need to be in the nut house. :D :D :D
There is plenty of food although I don't really care much for the Egyptian cuisine. I eat mostly thin pieces of beef, talking 1/4" or less, pan grilled and french fries. Lots of cucmbers and tomatoes, sometimes beets and carrots. They don't eat a whole lot of variety and fairly bland to my tastes. No open mess, we have scheduled meal times. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight, with "tea time" at 9:00 and 3:00. They do love thier sweets.

thurlow

LeeB............enjoyed the pictures and the tour.  Thought I could talk a leetle bit about most things, albeit maybe unintelligently  :);  howsomeever, I don't know a DanG thing about what you're doing. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

LeeB

Me niether, but I got em fooled out here :D

Tom

I used to be on a boat.  I was pretty special too, a SPC3.   *specialized paint chipper 3rd class.  ;D

LeeB

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2007, 10:07:38 PM
I used to be on a boat. I was pretty special too, a SPC3. *specialized paint chipper 3rd class. ;D

:D :D :D
I did my share of chipping paint on the rigs over the years. Rust never sleeps. One of my Coast Guard licenses, AB/LB has me listed as a wiper. That's a fellow that wipes down the engines or so I've been told. Because we are a vessel, we have to keep a certain number of licensed people on board to meet maritime requirements.

Thank You Sponsors!