iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

025 Stihl. What size bar and chain?

Started by Steven A., March 23, 2007, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I have an 025 that was given to me and I need to replace the bar and chain. I'll replace the sprocket as well.
I'm wondering might size and type of chain may be best for my use.
I'll be using it a few days a year to limb trees I'll fell with my new Jonsered 2152.  I may use it to fell some trees up to 16 inches diameter.
It will be my second saw to use when I want a lighter one or someplace I don't care to take my new saw.

Narrow kerf? What guage? What style cutters?
I'm not interested in safety chain.

Baileys has a sale coming next week and I want to get it ordered.
Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Are all brands on sale or do you have a preference?

sawguy21

I would go with the Oregon Microlite bar and the 95VP narrow kerf chain but the Stihl 23RSC will work too. The 025 is a good saw for your purpose although I would go all orange  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Steven A.

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2007, 08:51:29 PM
Are all brands on sale or do you have a preference?
I don't know. Won't find out till Mondays sale is announced.
My only preference is to get a fast cutting, easy to hand file, relatively long lasting setup.
I may cut the equivalent of 20 face cords of firewood in the next 10 years. Mostly taking out landscape trees in my lawns and one season of cutting saw logs for flooring and interior woodwork in  my home.

Thank you all for the info so far. More will be appreciated.

Kevin

The Oregon 95 would be a good choice with a roller guide to file it.

A new chain out is the 91VX if you can find a 91 bar for the 025 mount.
Just make sure the pitch matches the drive sprocket,chain and bar sprocket.
.050 gauge is good for that saw.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/chain/91VX_F&B.pdf

SawTroll

Information collector.

Steven A.

Is Microlite pro and the 95vp chain just a narrow kerf setup?
If so would any other brand narrow kerf setup work similarly?
I'm just thinking that Baileys Woodsman Pro brand might save me some money.

SawTroll

Quote from: Steven A. on March 25, 2007, 12:03:05 PM

It might, but as I understand it (not used it myself), you will also "save" some quality.....
Information collector.

Steven A.

Quote from: SawTroll on March 25, 2007, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: Steven A. on March 25, 2007, 12:03:05 PM

It might, but as I understand it (not used it myself), you will also "save" some quality.....

True, and more times than not when I saved money up front i regretted it later.
I'll keep that in mind.

Woodsroad

The 025 does not take the standard Stihl bar. Stihl makes bars up to 18" for this saw, but Bailey's doesn't carry a replacement. Spoke to them 3 days ago about it.

joe_indi

I would stick to the Stihl chain and bar for this saw viz. Stihl Picco Micro 3/8" chain and the 1.3mm Rollomatic E guidebar.16" would be better.Part no for the bar is 3005 000 4813.
Ask for  a loop of Picco Micro saw chain havin 55 drive links (63PM 55dl)

windthrown

Quote from: Woodsroad on April 09, 2007, 09:40:34 PM
The 025 does not take the standard Stihl bar. Stihl makes bars up to 18" for this saw, but Bailey's doesn't carry a replacement. Spoke to them 3 days ago about it.

I agree on the Bailey's part (I have been looking for a 16 inch bar for my 210), but I do not think that there is such a thing as a 'standard Stihl bar'. I have several Stihl saws, and they all have different guage and pitch chains and acceptable length bars. Some overlap, some do not. Look online at the Stihl USA site (or in the Stihl catalog), and the master bar/chain chart has many types of bars for the various size Stihl saws. Some overlap, some do not. Its a pretty wide selection of types.   
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

windthrown

Quote from: joe_indi on April 14, 2007, 04:42:32 AM
I would stick to the Stihl chain and bar for this saw viz. Stihl Picco Micro 3/8" chain and the 1.3mm Rollomatic E guidebar.16" would be better.Part no for the bar is 3005 000 4813.

Agreed.

Woodsroad

I should have been mo' clear:

The 025 (and ? other Stihl saws) take a bar that is open at the sprocket, unlike the other saws. My 025 came with a .050 gauge, 16" bar and a 3/8 Picco drum/sprocket. .050 gauge bars are available in lengths from 12"-18". Stihl also sells .063 gauge bars in 16" and 18", meant for .325 pitch chain.

Maybe someone other than Stihl sells bars for this saw, but I have not seen them.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on April 14, 2007, 04:42:32 AM

I am pretty sure a 95VP setup would be better, but I can't prove it......
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

I don't even know what chain my 025 takes but I am going to study this thread. I have just been keeping all the chains together that I have for it and sharpening them. I know that the bars and chain for my 024 will not interchange with the 025 and it is frustrating.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

That is annoying. The chains are the same but the drive link counts (length) are different for similar sized bars. And the bars do not interchange. Husky is good this way, one bar tail pattern for the small frame saws, one for the large (I am deliberately not including the re badged Poulans  ;D). Simple. I have to wonder why Stihl felt they need to do this.

windthrown

Quote from: kevjay on April 20, 2007, 08:53:31 AM
I don't even know what chain my 025 takes but I am going to study this thread. I have just been keeping all the chains together that I have for it and sharpening them. I know that the bars and chain for my 024 will not interchange with the 025 and it is frustrating.

The Stihl 025 and newer model MS250 (and the 023/MS230) will take two chain sizes and types: 1) the 3/8" PICCO - .050" on 12, 14, 16 and 18 inch bars, and 2) the .325" - .063" on 15 and 18 inch bars. Different sprockets are needed for these chains though.

sawguy21

Here 23RSC, .325 .050 is the most common. We do not see this chain in .063, this guage seems a bit heavy.

Woodsroad

That was my feeling about it. The .063 is just too much bite for this saw. The 3/8 Picco seems ideal and I find it perfect for limbing and bucking. I'll use my 044 when the tree diameter gets too big for the 16" 025, but I gladly switch back to the 025 as soon as I can. The 044 is a great saw, but it gets heavy after a while!

Thank You Sponsors!