iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Asbestos Question

Started by Paschale, March 23, 2007, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So I'm in the middle of working on a remodel of my first floor bathroom.  I've ripped up the top layer of linoleum, then the subfloor, then worked on the second linoleum and it's subfloor, and I've gone as low as I need to to make sure that the tile I'm laying isn't too high compared to the hallway.

I'm wondering about the linoleum down belief, which has a boatload of nails in it that I'm trying to remove.  Wondering if it's likely this has asbestos in it, that I'm disturbing as I work.

I'm not a paranoid guy--we all get exposed to asbestos throughout our lives, and the people with the problems are ones who worked around it all the time.

Just wondering if anyone knows what to look for.  I've read that asbestos was sometimes used as backing for old vinyl tile, and the backing of this has threads and some sort of compound.

I've read that if in doubt, you should assume that asbestos is there, so I'm going to go buy some replacement filters for my respirator. 

Anyone with some renovation experience have some ideas?

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

I don't get too paranoid about asbestos (feel it was primarily a big hype and way overblown - but that is beside the point). I would still take the precaution you are, with a good respirator or dust mask. Also, I'd try to keep any dust down as much as possible, by dampening the area with water as best can be done without damaging other things. Good ventilation also, as best can be done.

Ever watched the expensive contractors that hire the crews to drape the area with plastic, then proceed working around the removal without much care in the way of dust control, respirators, and caution?  I've witnessed it several times. Our pockets paid big bucks to get the care-free removal.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Had an interest in an older office building once that had some asbestos in some tile in a storage area.  Had to be disclosed when we sold.  If I remember right, there was little concern about it since it is bound so tight in the tile.  Problem would be dust if you cut or buffed it, (which I can't see happening.)  Think the big problem with asbestos has always been in dry, dust form.  But really no reason not to be careful with it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Asbestos was in a lot of siding before vinyl, my grand father's place had it and my mother's uncles' place had it for ever. It's still on mom's uncle's old place. I think his floor tiling had it also. And that has been down for at least 60 years. It's on the kitchen floor, I think because of the wood stove. Old uncle never changed nothing. He just patched and dobbed paint if anything needed fixing, never did a complete redo of anything in his life. Lived longer than I ever will.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

At one of our asbestos training sessions at work, we were told that floor tile from Canada can still contain asbestos.  Are they really still using it up there  ???

Paschale

I called my brother on this--sometimes forget that industrial safety is his line of work.  What he told me is that the asbestos was primarily used IN the tile as a stabilizer to give the linoleum some needed rigidity.  No need to worry--only if I start sanding the stuff, and no need to do that.

Don P

Brake linings were also a big use of asbestos. I've wondered how the dogs can take it sniffing tires all the time. It used to be in just about any heat shield type of board and like SD said in siding. I couldn't tell you how much Dad cut thru the years, I can remember the clouds, kinda like modern cement board  ::). We cannot disturb over 6 sq feet of it without calling in the "pro's".
It was in the tile and you supposedly can release small amounts when scraping it up. With it and paint, work it wet as possible is one recomendation I've read.

Asbestos is tigereye, pretty stone.

SwampDonkey

My brother has a ring of tiger eye uncle gave to him. Probably a 40 year old ring now.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Wrap it all up in plastic so you can't tell what it is Paschale as it's not allowed at the dumps around here, and they will reject the load if they see it.

Bill

I seem to recall something about the size of the tile could tell you - like 12"X12" tile had asbestos while 9"X9" doesn't ( or was it the other way around  ??? ). Nonetheless better safe then sorry - the respirators would be good. When they handle it here, if its not sanded, chiseled ( some have just shoveled it up ) or such ( anything that makes it airborne ) you're supposed to be OK.

Take Care

Ironwood

Talked to a demo guy about 2 months ago. Seems size was a determining factor as well as some colors, at least certain sizes and colors were more likely to aspestos (sic). Like most have said, just wear a respirator, its not toxic, just nuisence dust that with long term exposure causes cancer. As one old timer told me, "hell, our tooth paste tube were lead for God's sake what's all the fuss" He and his sister are in there mid 90's and still looking pretty good. Fiberglass insulation will be next on the list for lawyers to pursue class action against. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don P

QuoteFiberglass insulation will be next on the list for lawyers to pursue class action against.
Yup  ::) We gotta keep the wolf from their door  :)

We used to use a fair amount of vermiculite to pour in the cores of block foundations for better insulation. It was mica that had been roasted till it poofed. Kind of a dusty job, required that you be kinda personal with the spout of a large sack while walking the wall. A couple of years ago there was a radio piece where they have superfunded the workers homes near the plant, seems some of it contained asbestos. I personally think the critter poop in most of those old buildings is a worse hazard.

If you eat potatos your gonna die  :).

Paschale

Quote from: Don P on March 24, 2007, 09:25:59 AM
I personally think the critter poop in most of those old buildings is a worse hazard.

If you eat potatos your gonna die  :).

That's laugh-out-loud funny.   :D :D :D

Yeah, if you've ever been doing any projects around a place where the mice have decided to make their crapper, I think you're right!!!

ohsoloco

It's mostly the 9x9 tile that contains asbestos  :P

slowzuki

Only some forms of asbestos are really dangerous and its on if it gets into the air.  The public was made so afraid of it now people are paranoid.  The dusty, very short fiber form is very bad.  There is a website somewhere that describes the differences between them and the products you find each type in.

Ceiling tiles are usually painted to encapsulate the dusts then not messed with.  Floor tiles likely have the long fibre type in them for reinforcment.  If I remember right that is the least harmful type of asbestos.

DanG

When I was a kid, my Dad ran a tile business.  They had asbestos tile, rubber tile and asphalt tile.  All of them were 9x9.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

The only deviation from the 9 x 9 that I've noticed was the bathroom tile, like around the tub or shower and a lot of that comes with a web-like backing that helps it stick.

Brad_S.

If you're really concerned, there are labs you can send samples to. I just sent one to a place in California. $30 bucks to test a 1"x1" square sample but I REALLY need to know if it is indeed the A word, so it's worth it to me. smiley_sweat_drop
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

rebocardo

My uncle died from asbestos and my mother died from it because they think she got it from his clothes when he came to visit at the end of the day, after working as a pipe fitter in the naval yard, 35+ years earlier. They both died within a few years of each other.

The ironic thing is my mother hated smoking and died of lung cancer anyways.

If it contains asbestos, after removing the tile I would change the house air filter (installing a HEPA air filter before you start wouldn't be a bad idea because it attaches to larger dust) and wipe every surface possible afterwards with a damp cloth to pick up dust and throw it away.

Thank You Sponsors!