iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tomato Stake Tour

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2007, 09:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Its about that time of year again in Northwest Florida. After a long winter of dodging all the potential pitfalls the tomato stake farms might encounter, the Tomato Stake crop is within days of being ready to harvest. We visited a farm that recently was able to successfully alter the genetic makeup of its seed to produce truly square stakes. Yea, I know, what about the risks? How can they be truly safe?  Well, I don't want to get into that environmental gobbily gook because the stakes I saw were remarkable and my opinion is that the pluses far out weigh the minuses. We met with the TSF (Tomato Stake Forester) in charge and he told us that the gene splice had created another truly unique characteristic that was unknown until just a few days ago and only discovered when the crew was out doing some preharvest thinning. It appears that this strain actually will shed its roots when ready to harvest!  This alone will save MILLIONS in labor. Until now the industry had to bring in seasonal workers from Canada to work the groves because that was really, the only cost effective way to harvest. Now simple harvesting machines can do all the work the Canadian migrants used to do. Maybe now that derogatory statement of "Canadians rooting around in Florida" scrapple can fade into History.

Any how, this farm and it's TSF was very proud of their accomplishments and I want to thank them for letting us tour thier facilities. The TSF wanted me to be sure to tell you that the weeds in the photos I took are kept to a minimum and in no way impede or taint the new harvesting processes.  :)

Field ready for Harvest.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

It is nice to know that there are tomato stake foresters out there protecting the environment for us and it is also nice to know that the polar bear types don't have to travel into that dangerous heat.  They are not adapted to it, you know.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I had been hesitant to say anything but there is quite a bit of unrest because of the job losses for the Canadian migrants. There are reports that in places they have actually went in at night and removed (read poached) immature tomato stakes to use for picket signs!  I'm hoping it warms quickly in the north so they can return before any more unrest may build.

Texas Ranger

You have either:

1.  Been in that southren sun far to long. 

or:

2.  Tom has increased your grits intake to a toxic level.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I figured I'd be getting negatives from you Don. Its a shame that you let that jealousy arise in regards to the TSF again. They themselves try to play down thier elite status in Forestry Circles and its just a crying shame that you get on here and perpetuate that undermining attitude. Maybe with a little more schooling and experience you might try again to join thier ranks. I know that failing to be hired for the last 50 years is tough to swallow but try to be positive if you can, at least for the Forestry Forum. :-\

Paschale

This is a timely post, since all of our presidential contenders have been gearing up for the next campaign, and preparing position papers on the influx of illegal Canadian migrant workers.  It's a hot button issue, but it sounds like this new initiative by TSF's such as this one could really change the whole political spectrum.  I'll be looking for stories and reports on CNN.  Thanks for the head's up.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

LT40HDD51

Hey, if we dont come down and do the menial jobs that you americans dont want to do, wed never make it through the winter, what with the shortening of the polar bear hunts and all the flying hockey pucks. Global warming is affecting us too, hard to get the real good construction snow for making good puck-proof igloos. Head injuries all across the country are on the rise...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Tom

Don,
I undercooked the grits the other day.  I knew no-good would come of it.   

Dang and Olen have obviously taken advantage of the enternal scuffing to do some training retraining.

thecfarm

I knew,I knew.I knew it would happen.It's spreading.We have them up here too.Will be awhile yet.They might just be breaking ground here in a few weeks.The field is still covered with snow.I woder if they buy the same seed as what you saw Jeff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodbowl

Quote from: Tom on March 23, 2007, 11:29:12 AM
I undercooked the grits the other day.  I knew no-good would come of it.   

I don't understand it. He was fine till we all got to hooties, then he started running around snapping pictures of everything. We told him there's more good junk in the back and we haven't even gotten started yet. He muttered something about he hasn't seen any junk yet. We turned around later and asked, where'd Jeff go, that's when we found him on the edge of hooties junk collection, staring at the mater' patch.  :-\
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Roxie

I heard that those TSF's are successfully using cats to skid them stakes in from the field!   :o
Say when

Gary_C

Ya but those square ones are easy to grow. I think I even have some that grew down in the shed this winter.

Bet they can't grow those hoop ones. I think you have to train Black Ash for those.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

It takes a special breed and training of dogs
to drive cats in a skidding operation like that.  
Dang has a Pack that he is working with now.

Herding cats is a rarely known technique and
has been lost to most of the Urban society.  :P

Don K

:D :D :D :D :D     ya'll are crazy! ;)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

If anybody can herd cats, DanG would be the one ::).   Whether he can get them to skid rather than herd, however, that might be a real challenge.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWM II

Thats a might fine pack of cat dogs ol'Dang has there. ;D I wanna try my hand at cat herding 8).
Stewardship Counts!

Mooseherder

DanG, I taught I liked dawgs, but you really gotta herd dare. :D ;)
Them fellers look like they would do anything fer a treat. :)

limbrat

Some times the truth just slips out. I been watching dock-u-menteries since M. Perkins and Jungle Jim chased critters all over the green half acre to sell insurance. But no one ever told that them little ice cream scoop shaped houses were built like that to deflect hockey pucks. They talk about gee-o-dessent designs and all that, now i know its to deflect that puck up instead of allowing a shoot through. I can see that, why else would they be so low to the ground and shaped like that.
ben

Texas Ranger

What? Me negative?  Southren sun gone to your head, those under cooked grits may have done it, but got to be the hot weather, why, it got to 80 the other day, probably caused an early thaw in your permafrost.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woody1

Here in PA we have tried tsf, but because of climate and soil we are unable to get stakes larger than 3/4" x 1 1/4". Several ts farmers have gone to growing pvc. The outcome has amazed everyone. The 4" in the pic is one year old, and expected to grow to maturity, 10', by next year. They are having problems with sch. 40 in 20' lengths.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

james

QUICK! someone in the UP send da boss somma dem Michigan type foods, he is showing signs of bein serously depraved deprived by his time in the strange south ;D
james

WDH

Apparently he has tomato's on his mind.  He might stay down here till they get ripe ;D.

LT40HDD51

A buddy of mine grows tow chains out in his yard. Usually 20 footers with grab hooks on both ends, sometimes longer. Found a couple premature ones with only one hook. Were always kicking tham out of the dirt here and there, never know where one is growing... ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

DanG

Quote from: woody1 on March 24, 2007, 01:25:25 PM
They are having problems with sch. 40 in 20' lengths.

Ya gotta use the vining type PVC plants to get them 20 footers.  They'll climb up a pine tree and drop them full joints all over the place.  Ya just gotta have a bucket truck to harvest them.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woody1

DanG, We have tried the vining pvc plants. But, it seems that when we fertlize we can get the height, but they will not reach over 2" diameter. Any advice? ??? ???
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Thank You Sponsors!