iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 Detroit

Started by jackpine, March 22, 2007, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

I have a Tree Farmer c5d forwarder with the 353 Detroit . It hasn't been used in the last 2 years and I want to change oil before it goes in the woods.The problem is, I don't have any idea of the crankcase capacity. I've owned it for only 5 years and my nephew has always changed the oil in exchange for the occasional usage. Now he has moved away so it's my turn :D

Anyone have any idea? I searched the internet and found one ref. to 22 quarts but don't have any idea if that's right.

Thanks, Bill

Sprucegum

I haven't run one for 30 years  :o but that number sounds pretty close. Just keep count and keep a close eye on the dipstick  ;D

Rob-IL

Most of the 353s I've owned (& own) usually hold 14-16 quarts.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Greenedive

Just rebuilt the engine in mine and it took 12 quarts. (3 US gallons)

palogger

I just changed oil in mine.  It took a little over three gallons.

jackpine

Thanks for the info 8) Plan on changing oil this weekend but was by the forwarder today and couldn't resist seeing if would start. It has been sitting in a field since last fall and the batteries are 5 years old. Temp was 30°f this morning and it fired right up.Let it warm up and wished I had the oil there to change it then >:( This has been my only experience with Detroit but this one has been a good one.

Thanks again, Bill

230c

You have one of the finest engines ever made, look after the girl & she will do you fine. My 230C Timberjack has a 353 jimmy in it which is a perfect match reliable, powerful & sounds great ! The 3306 Cat in my 328 grapple skidder requires heat to start even on a warm day has a drinking problem& has an exhaust noise with no style. Screamin Jimmeys for ever.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum 230c.Do you have land or do you work in the works for a living.Gald to have you here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

230c

Good Day Thecfarm, thanks for the welcome. I live down in Victoria a southern state of Australia where the big hardwoods grow, I have an arboricultural & environmental company that employs 9 people & our services are very diverse. I recently purchased a Lucas Mill   
( they are manufactured about 120 miles from here ) to mill any worthwhile logs because we were sick of destroying wood by putting a saw through them for fire wood to be left on site, so we are all educating ourselves on the finer arts of milling & we are all enjoying it.
I conduct a fair amount of commercial logging operations for clients & supply sawmills. The equipment I own to conduct these ops. are HD 11 ep Allis Chalmers dozer, 210 LC-2 Samsung  excavator with log grab, 528 Cat. Grapple Skidder & 230c T/J line Skidder. We will set the bush up with the dozer -  roading, snig tracks, landings etc. then start pulling timber with the skidders & load on the landing with the Excavator. The sweetest sound coming out of the site is the screamin Jim! If there are any exotics knocked over during operations, they get hauled out for flitching up with the Lucas at a later date.
I have found that the majority of mobile mill operators down here get their mill then have no effeciant way to manuver & set them up for milling, I ran into one guy a while back with a Peterson who hires himself out @ $120.00 per hour & manuvers logs with a Tirfur hand winch & a Trewalla high lift jack costing the client big money for inefficiency.
I find this a magic site & am learning a great deal about the milling & drying aspects of timber harvesting, I also enjoy the Northern Hemisphere aspects & terminologies.
Regards,
230c.

thecfarm

This is a great time to push the pictures.We all would love to see pictures of some of that wood opened up down there.Probaly have some I can't even pronounce.You need to go to the top of the page and click on to help.This will tell you how to post pictures.Looks like a lot at first,but it is worth it.Click on to my user name and go into my gallery.I  have a few pictures there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bkellyvtme

Just did an oil change and a filter conversion from canister to spin on for my 353. 3 Gal

jackpine

Thanks again everyone, 12 quarts was right on the button 8)

Bkellyvtme  Where did you get the cannister to spin-on conversion and was it very difficult to put on? I just used my last cannister and before I buy any more I would like to at least look at the conversion.

Thanks, Bill

bkellyvtme

I got it from Baldwin. My local diesel mechanic told me about it. I use a B96 filter, and it holds another 1/2 gal or more. Works great. 8) Less of a mess by far. It basically bolts on like a canister would and then you spin your filter right on. Very slick. :) Shoot me an email and I will send ya a better photo. If you zoom in on it you can see the adapter.

jack

In that Detroit engine, i was informed by the Detroit man that ya gotta run 40 w oil, that they will last longer with that,  i have a 453, and a 471,  The old filter on the 471 holds over 1/2 gal of oil.   Warm engine, drain oil, open up drain line, (some units have a valve in the upper end) drain it all out, new filter, and then start filling, when it gets to the full line,  fire it up,(few seconds) shut it down, let it settle, and recheck level, add to full line.   (some units depending on filter set ups will hold up to 1 gal more oil than the same engine with optional filter setups)
Gotta love that sound........

Jack
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

a old timberjack

you cannot beat the sound of a detroit!!!   noise converted into motion!!!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

greathunter

Is a 353 in a 1970 230c right or left hand

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!