iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebaring an MS 250

Started by DWM II, March 22, 2007, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

I need to puchase another bar for my saw. Sometimes 16'' just aint enough. I realize this is truly just a limbing saw, kinda light in the power range, but I could really use upto a 20'' or so but didnt want to drop the bucks for another saw since this one runs top notch. Am I wasting my time and money? What would be a good recommedation on a new saw, I am interested in going to a Husky if I buy new but I am unfamiliar  with them.

Thanks, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Kevin

They will take an 18", 20"might be pushing it .
Can you rent a larger saw for a day when you need one?

pineywoods

I run a 20 inch bar on my 12 year old 028, have for years. It's never let me down. It does require keeping the chain sharp sharp.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DWM II

Kevin, I havent ever checked on rental. Sharp is always a requirement, but even then if its gonna keep the saw in the tree to long because of low power availabilty it aint worth it.
Stewardship Counts!

Kevin

If you bury the bar it will be an effort for the saw.
If you don't bury the bar you might as well use a standard bar length designed for that saw.
If it's just an occassional cut it then it only takes a few minutes to change the bar but if it's more than occassional then a larger saw is probably in order.

DWM II

Stewardship Counts!

Don K

I bought Husky 359 from Baileys last year with a 20" bar and have been very pleased with it. Have cut some really big stuff. Less than a 500 coin investment.   Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Cut4fun

I wouldnt put a 20" on it myself running full comp chain, but lets say you put a 20" on for the needed bigger cut at times and run skip or full skip chain.

Kevin

That might be a safety concern when limbing but a good idea for deep cutting.

DWM II

I'm not familiar with chain variations. I am currently running a full cut chain instead of the "safety chain" that came on it. What are skip chains? and why are they better for deep cutting and not ideal for limbing?
Stewardship Counts!

Kevin

Skip chains are designed to move sawdust when the bar is buried in wood.
The cutters are spaced farther apart and as a result increase the chance of kick back.

DWM II

Ok I am running a skip chain, just never heard it called that. Still learing. ;)
Stewardship Counts!

Cut4fun

DWM II

Thank you very much. Thats what makes this place so great. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

SawTroll

Quote from: Don K on March 22, 2007, 10:27:42 PM
I bought Husky 359 from Baileys last year with a 20" bar and have been very pleased with it. Have cut some really big stuff. Less than a 500 coin investment.   Don

Probably the cheapest saw that will pull a buried 20" sort of good, but I still wouldn't want to do it.

A 250 is far too small, unless it is only for an occational cut, and you are not in a hurry......
Information collector.

Engineer

I wouldn't try a 20" bar on a 250.  I tried an 18" bar on my 025 (same saw) and if you are making a full-bar cut it will easily stall the saw.  The 250 just doesn't have the power to run a 20" bar.  Stick with the 16" bar and look for a new larger saw if you need a 20" bar.

SawTroll

Quote from: Engineer on March 25, 2007, 07:02:52 PM
I wouldn't try a 20" bar on a 250.  I tried an 18" bar on my 025 (same saw) and if you are making a full-bar cut it will easily stall the saw.  The 250 just doesn't have the power to run a 20" bar.  Stick with the 16" bar and look for a new larger saw if you need a 20" bar.

Preferably .325 narrow kerf........
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!