iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying square chisel chain, and opinions of same

Started by Dave Shepard, April 10, 2007, 08:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am getting back into the square chisel game again, but my dealer no longer deals with this chain. I would like to find somewhere that has this chain in .050 and .058 guages.

I would also like to hear from anybody who has used a square chisel grinder. I used to do a few field sharpenings and then take them in to get sharpened on the machine. It sure can be a tricky chain to file. I got away from the square chisel as I was doing a lot of firewood and other cleanup type work and was always encountering a lot of dirt. Now I am going to be doing a bunch of felling and bucking, so I won't have to deal with as much dirt. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kevin

Dave;
The Oregon/Blount code for that is CLX.
You can get the Super Guard in 72 and 75.

MDP

Dave, I use stihl square chisel chain semi-skip, I use a silvey razur sharp II grinder for most of my shapening needs, I occaisonally file in the field but not much, It is hard to file square chisel chain and get corners to match. This chain if sharpened correctly will really make the chips fly
and it's a lot easier on your hands and arms too, you don't have to push as hard.
There is a nice silvey swing arm grinder on ebay right now, that's a decent grinder for grinding chisel chain. If you're going to be felling and bucking a lot and for a long period of time I would recomend investing in a good grinder.
Baileys sells a lot of different types of chain I'm sure they could set you up with what you want also Madsens is a good place,they are here in Washington State, they're a top notch saw shop that really caters to fallers and thier needs, there number is 800-822-2808.
As far as chain brand I prefer stihl chain the teeth seem a little harder and they  hold an edge a little longer, oregon is good chain too just haven't ran it as much, you could try a couple of loops of each and see what you prefer.

Mark

jokers

I don`t know any manufacturer who makes .058 square ground but you can make your own.

I have a Silvey Pro Sharp for the square ground, had a Razur Sharp II for awhile. Needless to say, there is no comparison between these two models but the RSII is a good grinder nonetheless. I just needed more adjustability in my grinder which only a modified Pro Sharp will provide, but then the primary reason I even have a square grinder is for race chain. The RSII will do any angle needed for work chain.

I have found the Stihl square ground to hold it`s edge extremely well and it cuts pretty well, just not as good as what you can produce on your own when you fine tune to your powerhead.

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the input everybody.

I was buying square chisel, .058, from my Stihl dealer, but I think it was Oregon. I think Stihl lists square in their catalog, so they should have the .050. If it is cheaper to buy premade loops I will do that, but if I have to buy the reels that will work too. This isn't a great priority, but I do want to get back into it. I ran a loop yesterday that had been sharpened on the machine at the dealer, and I don't think they did a very good job. They had cut into the straps and there was a huge point in the gullet that should have been ground out. And this was with a chain that had neer been sharpened before. I figure if I get my own setup I'll be able to take the time needed to learn how to get the most from this chain. It really is a pleasure to use it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dale Hatfield

I had a student buy a loop of Stihl  chain last quarter. He wanted to chisel file.  So i grab a new file bend down and proceed to destroy a  5 dollar file in seconds. That was the hardest tooth chain id ever had a file in. It  had only cut a dozen or so trees that day. It  wasnt really dull but wanted me to teach him how to sharpen it.  After destroying a new new file . I told him to  use it till he thought it was too dull and then round file it. That was first Stihl chisel chain id ever had to sharpen. wont buy any of it myself.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Tony_T

Stihl still has the square ground in 0.050 and 0.063 but I didn't see any 0.058 listed: e.g. OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super L Klassic (RSLK).

They do have a round ground chisel in 0.058 that you could resharpen square ground:OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC)

Dave Shepard

It may be easier to just buy .050 bars for the Husky and then I won't have as many different chains hanging around. I already have a 32" .050 for the 394.

Dave

jokers

Quote from: Dale Hatfield on April 13, 2007, 07:31:35 AM
I had a student buy a loop of Stihl  chain last quarter. He wanted to chisel file.  So i grab a new file bend down and proceed to destroy a  5 dollar file in seconds. That was the hardest tooth chain id ever had a file in. It  had only cut a dozen or so trees that day. It  wasnt really dull but wanted me to teach him how to sharpen it.  After destroying a new new file . I told him to  use it till he thought it was too dull and then round file it. That was first Stihl chisel chain id ever had to sharpen. wont buy any of it myself.
Dale
It`s not that Stihl chain is exceptionally hard or anything although the chrome layer is slightly thicker, that`s what happens to files when you file into the chrome.

Tony_T

Try to file on the steel part to get under the chrome face of the tooth. The chrome will come off with the steel under it.  As you said wacking the file into the chrome will dull your file.  Also, yes stihl chains are harder and/or have more chrome surface plating.  In my opinion they stay sharp longer too.  Have used stihl, oregon, carleton, and a bunch of others....

P.S. Statement from an old traditional log hewer when asked about wether his boots had steel toes; nope, they dull my axe! Still had all his toes......

Thank You Sponsors!