iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carrying logs to my mill

Started by gcgrant, March 21, 2007, 03:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcgrant

You can see the beetle stain in the sap layer of wood

This log weighs close to 5000 lbs., you can see the dozer is a little light at the back of the tracks, a winch would help counterbalance the bigger logs.

Coon

Definately would be alot of help in a few different ways.  Ballance is very important.  Just think of the fun I am having building my low ground psi tracked skidder unit.  I have to keep all of my weight forward but yet I need some weight at the back end too.  The arch grapple will help that out though.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

dancan

hey coon got any pics of build ?

OneWithWood

Nice looking machine, gc.  Tell us a bit about it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Qweaver

What are the dimensions on that log BC?  I've carted a lot of logs around with my tractor this past year that look to be as big or bigger than that one and they came no where near 5000 lbs.  Maybe the picture just makes it look small.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

gcgrant

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 21, 2007, 10:48:55 AM
Nice looking machine, gc.  Tell us a bit about it.
It is a 1965 John Deere 350 with a 6 way hydraulic blade.  I've welded some chain hooks to the end of the blade.  I push the blade up against a log and take a wrap of chain around the log at each end of the blade, works really good and keeps the logs out of the dirt while moving them around.  Keeping it simple is good!  The 6 way blade makes it nice for positioning the log onto the bunks of the mill.  GC

gcgrant

Quote from: Qweaver on March 21, 2007, 03:37:14 PM
What are the dimensions on that log BC?  I've carted a lot of logs around with my tractor this past year that look to be as big or bigger than that one and they came no where near 5000 lbs.  Maybe the picture just makes it look small.
Quinton
  It is ponderosa pine 34" D and about 18.5' long.  Someone with a book on weights of wood calculated it out at something like 5200 lbs.  I thought that seemed a bit heavy, so I toned it down to 5000. I was only taking his word and modifying it slightly.  I try not to be a guy who tells those whopper fish stories too!!  ;) I definitely could stand to be corrected! ...  GC

Ianab

The FF online log weight calculator  Toolbox gives 5248.8 lbs. So your 5000 sounds about right   ;) :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lud

Pic would have been self -explanatory if he'd been in view.  Folks who just see 'log' and 'some hunk of equip' may think that's an 8' or 10' log .     But no,    that's a BIG stick.   
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!