iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can u keep a oak log in a pond

Started by E.B., March 20, 2007, 09:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.B.

How long can u keep a oak log in a pond ???. I was given About 30 Water oaks and about a 100 Sweetgums and 50 junipers off of land that was being cleared. I'm going next week to buy my first sawmill [ lucas ] But i don't have a market for the lumber yet. So why i'm trying to figure that out :-\ I don't want to loose the logs. I was hoping to store them until I found a market and learn to saw lumber 8) Any advice would be very much appreciated.

EB
A day without a Smile is a wasted day

Tom

EB.
If you can get them into a fresh water pond without running into environmental organization conflicts, it is one of the best ways to store wood.  It isn't a perfect way, but the bugs can't get to the wood and most stains won't grow.  If Oxygen is kept from the wood, the logs might last forever. By this I mean buried deep in the earth.

You can do almost the same thing as submerging in a pond by sprinkling a stack of logs and keeping them wet.

TexasTimbers

You don't need to sink the juniper, and if you learn to cut on sweetgum successfully including drying, you will be able to process anything.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!