iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From forest to ....

Started by Brian_Bailey, March 02, 2003, 07:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

final form.  This is what Woodmizer states in their catalog.  Well, that's what I do using their mill to saw lumber and process it into something useful.

A while back I posted a picture of a scrub plane doing its thing on a board.

Well, I thought some of you might want to see what became of that board and several others.  I got em all jointed & planed.  Did some careful measuring and cut the several boards into many parts. I then did a lot of scraping and some sanding, cut a few dados and handcut dovetails,  added a little glue and then assembled the pieces in the right order. Applied a hand rubbed oil finish to the top and a rubbed out shellac finish to the rest of the dresser.  Did I mention a few mistakes along the way?  

The dresser is made out of curly soft maple, unfortunately the pictures don't show the curl.

This picture was taken in my shop.

This picture shows the dresser in its new home, ready for use.  As Woodmizer stated, "From forest to final form".

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Kevin_H.

Fine work there Brian, Outstanding.  8)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Haytrader

Nice job, Brian.
That peice will be special forever.
Thanks for posting pictures for all to see.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RMay

Brian nice workmanship how many hours went in to it. 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

That's  8) 8)  Excellent job!!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

Very nice Brian, thanks for sharing your pics. That's the problem with sawing wood, most is just too nice to sell. At least thats what I tell myself when I stash a few more bd ft in the Morton.

Brian_Bailey

Thanks everyone, for the compliments.  BTW, that's my granddaughter on the changing pad.  The dresser was built for her.  At a later date, I'll build a hutch top for the dresser.

RMay,  

I didn't really keep track of the hours because it was the first one I had built.  I didn't have any plans other than a rough sketch and some quick measurements that I took of a simular dresser at a baby store when the saleslady wasn't looking.  

Using all power tools I could probably cobble one up in about 40 hours, maybe.  Hand tools, which is my preferred method of woodworking would take a lot longer, like about 200 hrs that I quesstimated went into this dresser.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Bibbyman

I wish I could build something like that. All I need is TTT - Time, Talent and Tools!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

Brian, you are a fine woodworker, to say the least.  8)  Hand tools to boot?   Excellent! ;D  Bibbyman, I am with you.  I have the time and the tools, but the talent is shortlived due to patience.  Brian you must be related to Job as in taking 200 hours is beyond.  Again, thank you for sharing and the picture of your grand-doughter.  Mine is in Haiti with her parents as missionaries.  :-[ I only got to see her a few times from date of birth on Jan. 1 to Feb. 3 as they have gone back to Haiti.  :'( :'( Treasure the time as it goes fast. :-/
Frank Pender

Brian_Bailey

Frank,        I hear ya on the time thing.  My first granddaughter celebrated her 12th birthday in Jan. It sure does go fast  :o .

A  couple of years ago,  my wife and I were scooting back to NY from So. Cal. on our motorcycles.  We stopped in Frisco,Colorado to get some gas and grub.  We met a fellow biker there and had a great chat.  Upon parting, we exchanged business cards.  Later that day when we got settled into our motel room for the nite, I took his card out of my pocket and noticed some writing on the back of the card.  What I read left a profound impression on me on the importance of time.  Here is what it said.

"Only One To A Customer -   This bright, new day.  Complete
with 24 hours of opportunities, choices and attitudes.  A
perfectly matched set of 1440 minutes.  This unique gift, this one day cannot be exchanged, replaced or refunded.  Handle with care. Make the most of it. There is only one to a customer."

Dugsaws

Nice job Brian,I admire your dedication with hand tools  8)
Doug

Eggsander

Looks like excellent work Brian, congratulations. There is something incredibly satisfying about being able to build with hand tools. I only wish I had the skill with them that you must have.  :)
Steve

CHARLIE

Fine job.  I'm impressed that you only used the hand tools.  My uncle always told me to learn to use the hand tools first and then and only then use power tools. Of course I never did. Didn't have the patience and went right to power tools. That dresser will be a family heirloom. I hope you signed and dated it. Also wrote the type of wood and where the wood came from.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Brian_Bailey

I hope that I didn't give the wrong impression.  The dresser wasn't built entirely with hand tools, I did use some power tools.    

Paul_H

It's still a thing of beauty Brian.I never noticed the little bundle on the dresser the first time I saw it.She would be a great reason to build something like that.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Saki

One thing is for sure. That little lady will be telling her grandchildren about the guy that made it for her. Sharing your skills, interest, and labor by means of a gift like that will sure mean a lot to her. Beautiful work, I congratulate you.

Thank You Sponsors!