iDRY Vacuum Kilns

FireFox Issues?

Started by Woodbender, March 16, 2007, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

Guys I'm Firefox 2.0.0.2

Seems to happen a lot when I reply to a post my Firefox will crash when I hit the [enter] key after the first line of type in my reply box.

Is there a setting I need to tweak in Firefox?  I have seen this behavior both at my home machine and here at work. Plenty of ram and resources on both machines.

Anybody else seeing this behavior?
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

BBTom

Not much help from me, just $0.02 worth.

Have not gotten FireFox 2.0 yet.  I don't have any issues with FireFox 1.5, but the reply screen regularly crashes DPCproxy(required to run my old satellite modems) about once every 3 days.   
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SwampDonkey

Been using it since it came out and haven't seen any issues yet. The only troubles sometimes is with PDF links, sometimes it freezes, but if you let it load it comes 'unstuck'. I've learned to just use the 'save as' feature. If you find you need to close firefox through the task manager, or it crashes, you should see an option to open the tabs that were open when it closed/crashed.

On the other hand Outlook 2002 sometimes crashes or freezes. My upgrade actually came with my Trimble GPS software. I guess it needs it to synchronize with Outlook on the handheld.

Sorry can't help sort your Firefox troubles. Have you contacted the Firefox support group or forums? They might be in your quick links bar, under the browser buttons.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I used to have all types of problems with everything on the net.  I switched from dial up to broadband, and that's when I had trouble.  I had sites I couldn't get onto, no matter which browser I used.  Firefox always seemed better.  I used to have those freezes on replies.  I always copied before I posted, just in case.

But, that computer crashed, so part of it may have been the computer.  But, I suspect it was more to do with memory.

I now have 1 Gig of RAM, which is 4 times what I had before.  Everything works so much better and so much faster.  I'm starting to suspect that its a memory thing more than anything else.  At least, that was my experience.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

Hmm, mine has done something similar on occasion. It will tell me there is an error then close down. I have the option to restore the session at which point it comes back where I left off. Strange. ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Mine locks up as well, but not nessesarily on the forum, it will lock up no matter where I may be. It seems to happen when I have multiple tabs open. Its a pain in the pitute at times, but seems to work better then IE on my system even with the lock ups.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

The only problem I ever have with Firefox is when I click on FF in my bookmarks and it will not make a connection to the forestry forum. It gives ma a message that says the operation has timed out. I have to reboot to get logged on. It doesn't happen with any other forum. Could this be a firefox problem?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I think I would try deleting the book mark and linking directly to www.forestryforum.com I'm thinking you may be linked via that bookmark to a "session link"  that is a link that has php session info in the url related to your cookie info.  Thats my guess anyhow...

Jeff

I did a search on google that came up with a link that includes php session info as an example. Something someone could possibly link to as a bookmark.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=
96170e0295ce815e9f7f144916127471&topic=11467.msg158703

SwampDonkey

I have a couple of forum threads I bookmarked with no troubles in Firefox.

Once in awhile there have been server errors within yahoo or other pages. I often have to hit the reload button in my yahoo mail. Tried IE and same results. I've even noticed problems in IE on broadband connections. Sometimes have to hit the reload button.

For some reason, I can't even download MrSID or TIFF maps off SNB's map server on my dialup any longer. It only allows broadband downloads.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GareyD

Here are a couple of changes that I made to Firefox's config file that really made a difference for me....I have only used this with broadband, not dialup, but it should work the same  ::)

After you download and install firefox make these changes and it will fly.

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries by double clicking on them as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" from "false" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" from "false" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages much faster.
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

SwampDonkey

I don't notice any difference on my dial up connection Gary. Slow as slow is. ;)

Jeff

Thanks GareyD, That made a HECK of a difference for me!  We did it on all 3 machines running and big improvement for all. I'm in the process of importing everything to thunderbird now. Outlook express has become a big pain.

Norm

I tried them too and it sure helped. I moved from outlook to thunderbird and have a fraction of the problems I used to.

SwampDonkey

I have the occasional crash with outlook, but nothing too serious. You'd think with a program that has been around as long as this, the bugs would be worked out. Firefox 2.0.0.3 was released last week.

Jeff

So far I'm real happy with thunderbird.  It doesnt crash when I try to empty its trash like outlook express was doing trying to delete deleted items.  It imposted everything over, works with my spam pal program, and has an intuitive system for learning what is junk and what is not junk that gets past spam pal.  Yep, so far I like it, and its enough like Outlook express that its not a chore learning the software.

Larry

Haven't fooled around with Firefox for quite a while.  Got maybe 30 or so options installed at present but have second thoughts on some of em.  The options that GareyD posted work great but at the same time it's sorta like crowding in the lunch line at grade school.  Your banging the server with multiple requests and slowing the response time for everybody else.  Not so good.  Does that create problems for somebody with the world famous FF?

Correct me iffen I'm wrong.

Guess I'm in the minority but quite happy with IE-6.  Really like Yahoo for email...you can have up to I think 500 free disposable email addresses that will forward to your real address.  Outlook Express seems to work better on XP-Business than XP-Home.  And I also use Thunderbird.  The boss has whipped hotmail into submission for her stuff.  Just idle ramblings.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

No effect on the Forestry Forum server. simple http requests can be handled in the thousands at a time.

Radar67

I'm wondering about these issues with Outlook Express...I've been using it for years and don't have any problems with it locking up and such. I do know it becomes unstable when the mailbox folder starts approaching 1 gig in size, as does Outlook. I have a couple of friends who wouldn't delete any of their email, the file got to a gig and they lost it all. I have mine set up to delete the trash on closing the program.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

I think the issues are related to mailbox size, using XP and the influence of Norton anti virus.  I retain a LOT of communications for records. I have a ton of stuff I have kept sent to me for legal purposes, and I am sure that contributes to the issues, but so far all of those issues disappeared with the use of thunderbird.

SwampDonkey

Thunderbird 2 was released today, (non-beta).

Bill

FWIW - Using firefox 2.0.0.3 ( I even let them do automatic updates - one of the very few I trust ) on a Mac and it seems to be fine but will try Garey's tips for even more speed on DSL. ( Thanks Garey ! )

Mac's iMail has been bullet proof for many years now.

Jeff

For awhile I had reduced my spam level to almost nil until this new influx of spam (40 to 50 a day on average) that have no text in the body, but have the spam contained in an attached .pdf file.  I've found a way to stop those now as well. If anyone else is getting them, this is the procedure I used.  The only draw back is if someone that is not in your address book sends you a .pdf (which they really shouldn't be)  that email will go in the trash.

* Click on Tools > Message Filters.
    * Select a mail account from the list and click on New.
    * Name the Filter accordingly, something like PDF Spam 2 will do.
    * Check Match all of the following
    * Select "From"
    * Select "Isn't in my address book"
    * Select "Personal address book"
    * Click on the + icon
    * Choose Body from the pulldown menu
    * "contains" stays where it is
    * write ".pdf" in the last field
    * Select to move the message again to a newly created or existing folder in Thunderbird.  I simply move mine to trash.