iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So are any of you landowners getting offers to sell your land?

Started by bitternut, March 15, 2007, 08:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

It seems like every month or so I get a letter in the mail from some land speculator in California to buy my land. They tell you that they just happened to notice you own land while they were doing some basic research and wonder if you would like to sell. They tell you all the negatives about being a landowner but in spite of all these negatives they want to be the next owner of your land.  :D They even offer to pay me in cash. 8)

I was just wondering if these guys in California are trying to buy up land in other states besides New York and if anyone has taken them up on their offers?

Anyways I ain't selling. no_no

Frickman

We get the same things here in PA. I can figure out why you'd be getting them though. I see many, many farms advertised in New York for alot less than they'd sell for here.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ohsoloco

For the last few years I've noticed in the area "bargain sheets" there's some outfits selling farms and acreage in New York, and somewhere out west as well.  They're advertised just as Frickman said, way cheaper than you could buy land around here.

I can recall the one outfits name, and I just looked at their website and they're listing 5 acres for $12,900, 15 acres for $24,900  :-\

scsmith42

I get those same letters here in NC.  They all get filed in the circular file...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

redpowerd

neighbor here just bought some land across the road, 2,800 bucks an acre! location, location....

when i started farming land was under 400. thats what the bankers (who bank with corp. farmers) do to land prices when they get into bidding wars with family farms.
funny thing is, when they drive the price up that high, they pretty much set the price for themselvs whenever they purchase land after.

in my opinion, they messed up the value of land for generations, and started the bloodletting of family run farms. the backbone of america.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dana

Farm land mixed with forest is going for 5000 an acre here. The developers pick it up and split it into .5 to 10 acre lots. I can't see the next generation being able to buy a farm unless they are doctors or lawyers.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

DWM II

I havent had an offer my self, but I wouldnt sell ifin I did. The old family farms here were sold off after the patriarchs passed, those farms were subdivided into 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots and sold for anywhere from 15k upto 70k. This was all just cattle pasture before and now its what I refer to as "debutante" acres. All the city folks is moving out to the country.  ::)

Stewardship Counts!

Ed

No offers on our 100 acres here. Land isn't selling very well in our area right now. It's a buyers market if you need/want to buy a house though.
There's a 20 acre parcel across the road from us thats been on the market for 2 years now......$149,900.00!!! They just haven't figured out nobody wants it  :D :D it is cut in half diagonally by a 300' Michcon right-of-way. There's 2, 24" and 1, 18" high pressure natural gas mains in it. Kinda screws up the whole property. Especially when they come thru every couple of years with a Hydro-axe and mow it.

We bought our 100 acres in 1996 for $500.00 an acre, it's 65 acres woods (wet) and 35 acres tillable (poor). It really doesn't matter what it's worth today, it will never be sold or developed any more than an elevated deer stand.

Ed

SwampDonkey

Most small parcels for building lots here are being sold to retired and returning baby boomers.  The younger folks are living in old run down 100 year old farm houses until they have a nice flu fire and that's the end of it. 10 or 20 year old homes are hard to sell here. Most of the boomers want brand new. I see some 10-20 year old houses here that have been listed for 5 years of more, they won't sell. On my road there have been 6 houses sold in the last 8 years, all old run down houses built 100 years ago. The young people don't have the money for these expensive modern homes unless daddy baby boomer builds them for them. Even old clearcut lands are sold to baby boomers for the most part and a lot are living far away. Some of the land they are buying, I wouldn't even pay the taxes on, it's so poor and rough.

I have to comment a bit here on forest management of woodlots. It's actually the baby boomer generation that's been the hardest on the woodlots with clear cutting around here. Grampy or dad dies and it's gets flattened. People's grand father's never clearcut their ground. But most everyone in my community of the baby boomer generation has their forest land clearcut. Not much mature timber left around here, can only think of one farm. The rest of us will be grand fathers before there is timber on our lots.

Where are these letters? I don't get any.  ::) :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

There's an article in the local FB spokesman about how crop land prices could go up to $9K an acre with the ethanol boom going on. I was relaying this to my son who asked if I'd sell out at that price, nope. I enjoy walking out and having my investment underfoot not delivered to me in an envelope with print that says you are worth this much.

snowman

Don't get me started on Cailf developers! OOOPS, too late. Anyway I hate them, loathe them detest them.They have destroyed the town I now live in to the point where I have to move. The house I built and was planning to die in, well that aint gonna happen unless I die in the next few years. On the bright side, I've found some fantastic land in a quiet backwater area not real far from here. 2 sides state land, 3rd side a cliff,  4th side timber comp land, nearest neighbor a mile away, next neighbor 3 miles away.Lots of timber, a nice stream, etc etc etc. Im going to bulid a new house from trees on the land, have my own hydro power from the stream. It's a better place by far than I now live even before the californicators got here so actually these people have done me a favor, the lord works in mysterious ways. :)

johncinquo

Hey Ed, we're #1 now!   Unfortunately it is in the category of most people leaving a state to relocate.  #2 is North Dakota.  I was looking to buy a rental property this spring but am going to hold off until the fall or later, the prices are only going to come down, in a big way arond here.  A place I looked at last year at $125,000 just sold for $79,000.  The banks are going to be holding a lot of property and will need the cash in a hurry.  Everyone has taken out home equity loans and are just walking away, nothing to bother with fighting for.   The tax sales are FULL every time I stop into one.  I think the chopping into smaller pieces has slowed, many communities now have size limitations and split limits, with their planning and zoning boards. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

rvrdivr

I get those same offers every year about this time. Their looking to buy for investment and will offer nothing for your property. That's why they can pay in cash! :D

I like to send them back with a unrealalistic price per acre. So far I've had no replys  ???  ;D

stonebroke

Out in the boon docks in east central NY, A one a acre building lot in our town is assessed at 21,000. No way anybody is every going to farm this land anymore.

Stonebroke

Corley5

We get cards a couple times a year from our local real estate people wanting to do a free market analysis for us .  We took them up on their offer on Grandma's farm and they were sure disappointed when we didn't want it listed  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I'm real glad to hear that Corley. Those people don't have the sense God gave most people to have a professional forest land appraisal done, so who knows how they come up with numbers for farmland or building lots. Pure speculation I'd guess. Well, probably whatever the market will bare. If it's worth $10,000 for an acre to them, it must be worth at least $30,000 to you. ;) The only people that get plagued with requests around here are those with decent timber some harvest contractor wants to get their chain saws into. Then once it's cut, taxes are paid and bills are paid they are strangers.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

I have about 12 acres of vacant land here in VT (that I don't want to sell) but we are getting loads of people from NYC and CT and NJ moving up here (a LOT after 9-11).  A realtor friend of mine asked me if I wanted to sell, I told him sure, $750,000 would be about right.  He said I'm not too far away (time-wise) from the high end of the market, and I about choked on that.  I guess I need to re-evaluate land values around here - and being indirectly in the land-development business, it still amazes me what parcels sell for.

thecfarm

I don't get many letters to buy my land,but I get a lot of letters to cut the wood on my land.I just trash 'em.I have a logger that's been here twice so far.He does a nice pretty job.He got done today,close to mud season now.His twitch trails are mostly free of brush.I walked the lot with him to day.I only have about 40 feet that I will have to clean up to allow me to drive my tractor on his trails.I tell people this and they think that I am lieing to them.Land around here is being brought and split up.The view that I have of an old farm got split up and 2 acres were going for $15000.There is nothing here.Just unbelivable what some people will pay for land.I bought 7 arces back of the old farm and paid $15000 for that.Way to much,but I know he could get it from someone else.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Building lots (1 acre) here go from $6000 old rough pasture - $50,000 for river front. Some of those $50,000 lots I wouldn't take if they gave it away. Farmland for cultivation goes for $2000-$4000 an acre. Some cornballs will even buy an acre of flooded marsh for a building lot and truck in a mountain of fill. Crazier than a bag of hammers.

Tony

With Toyota moving to North MS, the rumor mill is
running full speed.  ::)

2, yes I said 2 acres went for 2.5 million  :o :o :o

LOCATION   LOCATION      8) 8)

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

Part_Timer

we used to get them all the time on a building lot we had in Florida. (long story)  Most of them offered $1500 dollars or so.  Yah right.  Well one day some guy calls and offers to buy it.  I told him sure I'll trade ya for a swinger.  Well you've seen the pics so we all know what happened. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Warren

When I had my computer business, I occassionaly did work for a local realtor who conducts the majority of farm auctions around here.  One day I was busting his chops about breaking all of the farms up into parcels and selling them in pieces.  He smiled and replied that when he lists a farm for an auction, he always offers the farmer two choices: (a) sell the farm as a whole, or, (b) sell the farm the way that will bring the most money. 

He claimed that he had yet to have someone turn down the most money.....

My neighbor 1/4 mile down the road is selling out on April 7th.  140 acre farm will be divided into 5 tracts.  I hate to see the farm broke up.  But, at 72, this is his retirement fund.  I hope for his sake it sells well. 

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Larry

No relationship between the land values and its earning potential if you're within 60 miles of a population center.  Too many rich people want a private retreat to ride there four wheelers, horses, or hide out for the weekend...and they have cash money.  A house on the land is an actual determent.  Doesn't fit the dream.

Iffen I was a young man I would be buying every piece of dirt that I could afford and sacrifice lot of other things.   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Can't do that here unless it's a rough field and not under FLIP (Farm Land Identification Program). Or members of the immediate family who want to build a house on the land, who must be working on the farm operation, if in FLIP.  I think it only allows 2 houses per 20 years, but tax has to be paid on those building lot parcels. Under FLIP (1979) if someone removed their registration in FLIP there would be back taxes at $1.5 per $100 of assessed value to pay and a penalty. And if the land registered under FLIP is not used or rented or leased for Agriculture, same result.

http://www.gnb.ca/0173/20/0173200001-e.asp

http://www.gnb.ca/acts/acts/a-05-11.htm

WDH

I recently got the same letter from California with the same cash promise.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!