iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to buck SYP?

Started by Larry, March 15, 2007, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Do you stop at the first limb or keep going?  No idea what I'm doing or what to expect once I get a log on the mill.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

There is some good 4x4 material past the first limb.  Most commercial mills will make a 4x4 out of the top of the stem. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I know nothing about SYP ... but I have been bucking logs and sawing wood for a long time . If the tree still has any size to it after the branches , there is no reason for not cutting up another log , this log may not be of great value to some , but to me it has a lot , I may use this piece to pile other better wood on , I may use it as a post , may use it for many other things . What I never do is wast anywood from a tree , if there is a possibility of a log that can become a 4 X 4 its bucked up and sawed up . And if my dad is around .. he may even throw some on the pile that only has a 2 X 4 in there ...  ::) 
   All this to saye .. no ya dont need to stop bucking at the first branche ... ya can if you want , but there is a possibility of more if the tree is big enough and straight enough . :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Larry
  Keep in mind when bucking your logs that it is better to have a shorter straight log then a longer log with a crook in it ... I do not know of your needs , but I would rather have two 8 foot logs that are straight then one 16 footer with a crook in it .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

I like what Isawlogs said.  I dont stop because there are limbs.  I will start cutting one inch boards if the knots get too big for construction material.  Unless the top is too crooked, I saw what I can from it until it becomes to small to dog onto the mill.  Yep, it makes good posts too.

Onthesauk

Or at least you would if you had a saw! :D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

bull

saw down to 6 inch tip.............. dress all limbs to the log face...... keep um straight and buck out the crooks...

Best way to start bucking is w/ a chain saw...... lots faster than other tools........

Don't forget trim .......  4-6 inches more than your required length  IE: 8'4"-10'4" ----- 16"6-18"6

Nate Surveyor

Somebody brought me 2 5th wheel trailer loads of logs. Cutting on the halves. One tree had 3 knots (limbs) on one side. It was a 30" dia log. 10' 6" long. So, on the Peterson, I put the log on with all the knots UP. And milled it into 1" x 9" & 1" x 4" material. Absolutely beautiful wood graining patterns. I'd love to have a cabin with this stuff on the walls. PERDY!

There is a use for everything, if you can discover it. The other side of this log will be OK to make 2"x 8" beams etc.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Ed_K

Southern yellow I believe is the same as red pine up here? I limb down to a 5" tip. and a Bull said buck out the crooks. The mill I send to runs the small tips thru a planer mill and gets a 2x4 outa it and if it has a big knot its 2, 1x4s like Tom said.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!