iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany Seed Fruit Wedges

Started by Mooseherder, March 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Found sumpthin odd today. These Wedges on the right were underneath a Mahogany Tree. They are perfectly shaped just like Orange Wedges. Seems
there is enough wedges for 2 seeds. They weren't there Saturday, but appear to be dried out, one more than the other. Don't know if this is normal or maybe an animal or bird done it.
I took the seed on the left off the tree to show and tell, then try to grow. ;D

SwampDonkey

That would be a good experiment anyway. I wonder if they are fertile. I have no idea about sex in mahoganey.  ;D

How big is the parent tree? Are the seeds the white looking pieces? The fruit looks almost like a mango.

Hope you are successful.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I'll get a picture of the parent trees tomorrow. One is damaged from Hurricanes, the other is okay. They are around 16-20 feet tall.
Could be the white thinner wedges are the actual seed, but I don't know.
It does look alot like a mango, only smaller.
Here is a top pic of the fruit.

Here is a Dove Plum grown from Seed. I got 6 seeds from the West Coast of Fla. after Hurricane Charlie ripped through there. I was on a recovery crew staying at a hotel that had these Dove Plum seeds all over. This one took hold. ;D

SwampDonkey

Keep experimenting. Soon you'll have a Florida Teak plantation. ;D

It's fun experimenting with plants and trying new ones no one has, hopefully/preferably non invasive. ;D

I wonder how long it's gonna take the local nurseries to figure out that magnolia species don't grow in NB. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Here is a pic of the Mahoganey Trees.
The one on the right has some sucker branches shooting out where the upper part of the Center Crown was.

jon12345

Maybe the hurricane damage triggered a seeding response in them  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mooseherder

jon, I was thinking the same thing while taking the pics. ;)

SwampDonkey

You know something? Oops dangerous question. ;) But, I think one of the neighbors, well 3 miles down the road, has one of them Paulownia trees. It gets a lot of frost damage though. In the summer it sure looks like the same leaves and it grows fast. But it won't get any size because the winter kills it back.

Your trees seemed to have recovered well mooseherder. I don't know the scale I'm looking at because the palm and the power pole are a bit deeper in the photo. Were the trees nursery stock?

Ditto to the fruiting response of the damaged trees, but not always the case. Ideal growing conditions will trigger the same response. ;)

Mooseherder

Yes, the trees were nursery stock.  Bought em' to shade my daughters bedrooms on the west side of the house but have since determined they were a bad choice.  Live Oak woulda givin a tad more shade.  I gotta leaning Live Oak from the Storm in front of the house.  Thinking about propping it back quilter. ;D  Any good way to do this?
The tree is healthy otherwise.

Maybe soaked the ground real good and pull strap it straight with the truck?
Or should I get the ground loose in front of the pull?

Tom

Are bumblebees dangerous to Paulownia?

SwampDonkey

:D I have a feeling it's a loaded question.  :D But, I wouldn't think they would be too harmful aside from eating some pollen and possible nectar.

So, what's the proper answer? ;D :D

Mooseherder

Tom's question peeked my curiosity into a google of Paulownia.
Wow, Roof Height and Purty in a Years time. :D

Mooseherder

Seems the wedges are a natural occurance.  Must be time to plant.
This was a green seed I plucked off the tree 9 days ago.(Actually wacked it down with a long length piece of plywood I had ripped) They appear to have a short shelf life. ::)

Mooseherder

Thanks Jim. I printed the article and will attempt a planting after collecting more seed.

Mooseherder

While checking the seed today saw one open. Looks like a cone about to drop it's seeds. It explains the wedges found earlier.  Looks like something is eatin' the leaves also.

SwampDonkey

Very interesting fruit. The stem below the fruit must be a good size larger than that sprout off the tip of the limb eh? How does tulip tree or cucumber tree fruit compare? I guess they are magnolia.  ::)

Mooseherder

Went Back out to gander at the stem diameter and it is similiar to the thickness of the Marker in picture.  Shook the tree, wedges fell off and the Single winged seed helicoptered about 30 feet away. :D
Picked them up for a picture. Will work on the experiment next. Any recommendations?

SwampDonkey

There might be something on Google. Might help a bit more if you knew the species. If you germinate them in a bed outside, you might want to have partial shade on them and make sure you have some leaves or grass clippings to hold moisture, but not too deep, maybe 2-4 inches. Leaves would be best. Nice loam soil with lots of organics would be better than sand probably.

Mooseherder

Talk about how things come around. Typed in Google:" planting Mahoganey seed."
Guess what the #1 link was?
Right Back to this thread on the Forestry Forum. :D

Tom

If part of the experiment is to plant the seed, you better be careful.  It might behoove you to keep the pot in a jail cell.  I saw a movie one time where those seed pods were making fake people.  It seems that Aliens from outer space can plant themselves in our forests and make out like they are people.  In the movie they almost took over the world and, if I remember right, one of the pods wasn't accounted for when the others were destroyed. :P :-\

You might look under your house too.  I think they might hide seed pods under there.

SwampDonkey

'Run for the hills folks, or you'll be up to your armpits in Martians.'

Bugs Bunney. ;D

Mooseherder

Are you trying to say Mahogany ain't native? ;D

Tom

Nah!   Mahogany is native to Florida, but like Red Bay, you don't find many sawlogs anymore.  The Developers don't give it a chance.  They bulldoze a lot and have a house on it before grass can grow.

If someone with foresight wanted to do it, they could invest in a Mahogany planting for their retirement and I'd say it would be a smart investment.

I'm just having fun. :P :D

Mooseherder

Update:
Checked the tray today and found a nice surprise on the experiment. ;)

Wonderin' if I should transplant now?  Will they go into shock?

Thank You Sponsors!