iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark 666 log skidder 1980's machine

Started by Big Stan, March 12, 2007, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Stan

I am seriously looking at buying one, but do not want to do so, blind.
The machine I'm looking at has rear tyres 85% +
Front tyres 75% +, Outside of tyre to outside of tyre  measurement is 8 foot 6 inches, reconditioned brake, 70% articulation point,a hydraulic 8 foot 9 inch bull tilt blade, weighs 10,260 kilo's, is a cable / winch model,uses about 1 litre of engine oil a week in medium / normal work.
Transmission is power shift, steering by stick.
Owner says the machine is in good serviceable condition, ready for work.
I have never owned a skidder, have operated one ...(a real big sucker for a day), and would appreciate any advice, tips or help in any way before I go for a drive..& buy it ?
The present owner is asking Aust $17,000.00
The present owner has a good reputation of looking after his equiptment and has good moral references.
we want a skidder to pull timber up to about 6 ton's, logs of this size are pretty ugly, not long commercial looking logs, but short, fat , branchy , highly figgured specimens...pretty old, as well as a % of pole size logs..

Craig

The only thing I have heard about the 666 negative is the center pins but other than that they are good. The clark transmissions, differentials and winch are nearly indestructable with proper use and maintenance. I have a 1979 667 and I need the engine redone but other than that it has been a good machine. Mine has a 453T detroit.
Look for wear in the center pins and the front cradle.
Hope that helps.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

semologger

for that price seems like you could get a lot better skidder. even a grapple skidder. i have found a 96 170 franklin grapple heated cab nice machine for that. i have a 450 timberjack grapple skidder. i am trying to sell for 10000 its pulled in 18 semi loads tree length pine in last 2 weeks.

Thank You Sponsors!