The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Demands on Water  (Read 6250 times)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
Re: Demands on Water
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2001, 05:54:37 pm »
I'm noting a lot more litter from bottled water containers along roadways and in woods. Other beverage containers require a deposit for return to keep containers picked up and Michigan green.

Plastic water bottle containers will need to be included with the increased product use and sales since they aren't at present.

~Ron

Offline Bill Johnson

• Forest Tech
  • Location: Dobie. That's between Kirkland Lake and Quebec border
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2001, 06:06:58 pm »
It has always amazed me how people have no problem packing full containers of stuff out to the bush with them but never seem to have enough strength left in them to bring them home once empty.
In my travels up here I can honestly say that the most popular drinks in N.Ont are pepsi, Tim Hortons coffee and McDonalds drinks.
Pepsi easily out distances all other soft drinks by 10 to 1. Judging by the number of empty cans strewn all over the country side.
Last summer we were involved mapping old road systems using GPS, the stuff that's laying around out there just about makes you want to cry. We regularly brought back 1/2 tons loaded with trash of all sorts everything from pop cans to bedframes, at least the beer bottles and cans were refundable.
It's no wonder so much of our pristine water really isn't any more.
Bill

Bill
Bill

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2001, 06:43:00 pm »
once upon a time.............
there were deposits on refillable glass soft drink bottles and kids spent their spare time picking them up to trade in on a full bottle and a pack of peanuts.  Throwaways killed the industry.

In 1964 I was motorcycle riding with some friends wa-a-a-y back in the  woods Northwest of Athens, Ga. I must have leaked fuel or run a lot harder than I thought because I ran out.  We were in Virgin territory with huge trees and an understory so thick that we were not making much headway. So, here we were in a gulley looking for something to transfer gas, even a drop or two, from one of the other bikes to mine.  We were at the point of trying to hold a bike upside down and pour the fuel into my tank when one of my cohorts yelled that he had found a beer can.  What in the world was a  beer can doing way back there?
Did the Cherokees drink Falstaff from a can in the 1700's? :D
extinct

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2001, 03:21:21 pm »
I'm not noticing an increase of garbage from bottled water.  People in my area are too cheap to buy something they can get from a tap for free.

But, styrofoam cups are everywhere.  And in the spring, when the wind blows, there seems to be tons of plastic bags all over.  

I've never found too much junk in the woods, except where there was an old farm dump.  Plenty of old bottles.  There is often garbage wherever there is a secluded lane.

Wierdest thing I've ever found in the woods was a condom machine.  Dumped there from a robbery, I suppose.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.