iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little help buying a saw for a friend.

Started by cnl390, March 10, 2007, 08:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnl390

I have a friend who has been helping me build a hunting cabin for a  liitle over a year (it's only me and him and we have done everything including clearing the land) and I would like to get him something nice.  Also I am runnning out of excuses.  I mean how many times can you say, "No you can't borrow my chainsaw", to a friend like this.

Acting on the advise of this forum I bought a Husky 353 about 2 years ago and it is one great saw.

So I was wondering is the 353 still the way to go?  My buddy would use it for weekend clearing of brush and small trees (3-10" dia.), and then cutting the trees into firewood.

Thanks,
Charles

PS This forum also suggested I change from a 20" bar to 16" for the cutting I was doing and it made a big difference.  Saw runs like a champ, handles easier, I love it.

TexasTimbers

Is that saw big enough to handle what you will be asking of it? If so why change??? If you like it go for it and make your life as least complicated as possible. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

cnl390

I don't know a lot about chainsaws, what I do know comes from what I have learned in this forum & that's why I keep coming back.

The 353 has worked fine for me.  The biggest job I have done (and probably will ever do) is felling and cutting up a couple of cedar trees about 15 inches in diameter.

I was just wondering if there is a saw out there that might be better for my friends needs.

If I just read the desciptions all the saws sound good to me.  I mean what's the difference between a 353 and 455 Rancher?  They both sound pretty much the same to me.

So I am relying on the guys with all trhe knowledge to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Again,
Charles

beenthere

cnl390
I don't know how you can make a decision on what saw to buy a friend.  ???  ....unless the friend knows what he wants and tells you.

Seems if he wants to always borrow yours, that is the answer to what to buy. And if me, I'd go buy myself a new one and give the friend the one he wants to borrow. I am assuming you are 'gifting' this to him for some reason, such as need or appreciation.  :)  You're a nice guy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

QuoteActing on the advise of this forum I bought a Husky 353 about 2 years ago and it is one great saw.

I think that says it all. It's still a great saw for that sort of work, so go get another one :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jokers

Quote from: Ianab on March 10, 2007, 04:26:40 PM
QuoteActing on the advise of this forum I bought a Husky 353 about 2 years ago and it is one great saw.

I think that says it all. It's still a great saw for that sort of work, so go get another one :)

Cheers

Ian
yup! What Ian said!

sawmilllawyer

Well, I would'nt argue with success. Just tell him he can't borrow the saw any more cause it's now his. Get yourself a new one. Yup, Life's good.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Cut4fun

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on March 10, 2007, 10:13:29 PM
Well, I would'nt argue with success. Just tell him he can't borrow the saw any more cause it's now his. Get yourself a new one. Yup, Life's good.
Thats what I was thinking too, but didnt want to be the first to mention it.

cnl390

I like the way you guys think!

The old one is now his.

Now, which saw do I want, eanie meanie, minie...

TexasTimbers

Quote from: cnl390 on March 11, 2007, 11:55:00 AM
Now, which saw do I want, eanie meanie, minie...

Lemme see, who was the first to suggest you buy one you know you already like ??? Oh! That would be me!
Quote from: kevjay on March 10, 2007, 08:36:16 AM
Is that saw (husky 353) big enough to handle what you will be asking of it? If so why change??? If you like it go for it and make your life as least complicated as possible. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawmilllawyer

Don't know, there is a whole wide world of saws out there. Before you plunk down your hard earned cash seriously consider what you will be cutting in the immediate as well as the long term and go from there. If the 353 is it, then so be it; if,  not now is the right time to make a change. It's your call, do the best you can, it'll all work out. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

beenthere

cnl390
If'n ya get something different, better, or whatever, ......then your friend may think he needs to borrow that one just because it might be better......best get control of the friend before getting something different....... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Of all the reasons I have heard for buying a new saw  :D................Honey, I just had to give him the saw because he helped me so much................I guess we will just have to get us another one ::).  Wow, that is good  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

konrad695

I'm going against the grain a little and say,  give your friend the new saw.
1.   A new saw will have a greater impact than a used one.
2.   You stated you switch from 20 to 16 inch bars-  so now you have two bars.
3.   If your current saw works great, then keep it,  Don't chance a lemon.
4.   Friend gets a new saw "warrenty",  -no, he gave me a s*** saw.
5.   You get to buy a new saw,  Have a currently running great saw, and Friend will be happy as can be.
Just my thoughts from a service industry guy.  "Keep the most people happy the max amount of time." 

SawTroll

Quote from: konrad695 on March 12, 2007, 04:36:25 AM
I'm going against the grain a little and say,  give your friend the new saw.
1.   A new saw will have a greater impact than a used one.
2.   You stated you switch from 20 to 16 inch bars-  so now you have two bars.
3.   If your current saw works great, then keep it,  Don't chance a lemon.
4.   Friend gets a new saw "warrenty",  -no, he gave me a s*** saw.
5.   You get to buy a new saw,  Have a currently running great saw, and Friend will be happy as can be.
Just my thoughts from a service industry guy.  "Keep the most people happy the max amount of time." 

I agree, give him the new one!

.....and keep the proven performer for yourself.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: cnl390 on March 10, 2007, 08:31:20 AM
PS This forum also suggested I change from a 20" bar to 16" for the cutting I was doing and it made a big difference.  Saw runs like a champ, handles easier, I love it.

Good to have that confirmed - I wouldn't be surpriced if I was one of those offering that advice......... ;) :D
Information collector.

ComputerUser

Quote from: cnl390 on March 10, 2007, 10:47:44 AM
If I just read the desciptions all the saws sound good to me.  I mean what's the difference between a 353 and 455 Rancher?  They both sound pretty much the same to me.

The 455 is a plastic saw with a horizontally-split crankcase and is targeted at the "bigger must be better" homeowner market, whereas the the 353 is a magnesium-cased pro-grade saw with a crankcase separate from the bolt-on cylinder.  It is also over three pounds lighter for the same power output, and physically smaller in size.

If you're still up in the air on what to give your buddy, the 353 would be a great saw for the sort of use you anticipate he will have in mind for the saw.  Set it up with a 15" or 16" bar and some good chain, and you'll have a nimble, well-balanced saw that should last him for years.  But you already know that!

SawTroll

Quote from: ComputerUser on March 12, 2007, 12:39:58 PM
Quote from: cnl390 on March 10, 2007, 10:47:44 AM

The 455 is a plastic saw with a horizontally-split crankcase and is targeted at the "bigger must be better" homeowner market, whereas the the 353 is a magnesium-cased pro-grade saw with a crankcase separate from the bolt-on cylinder.  It is also over three pounds lighter for the same power output, and physically smaller in size.

If you're still up in the air on what to give your buddy, the 353 would be a great saw for the sort of use you anticipate he will have in mind for the saw.  Set it up with a 15" or 16" bar and some good chain, and you'll have a nimble, well-balanced saw that should last him for years.  But you already know that!

I agree 100%, just forget the 455...... ::)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!