iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 361 vs MS 390

Started by Radar67, March 09, 2007, 03:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I've been considering a saw upgrade and decided to take a look at my local Stihl dealer's selections. I have looked at the MS 361 on the Stihl website and it looks like a great saw. I've also read about your opinions on this board and get the same feeling. I am by no means a saw person and will only use the saw 5 or 6 times a month, give or take. Most of the timber I encounter is in the 12 to 24 inch range.

Now, my question...

The 361 was $585 w/20" bar and has a 59 cc engine, the 390 is about $100 less and has a 64 cc engine w/ 20" bar, both are suppose to take a 16 - 25 inch bar. I would like to have a 24" bar for those occasions I need it. Seems to me that the 390 would be the better deal because it has a larger engine and lower price. Are there any added benefits to having the 361 pro saw over the 390? I'm not really concerned about the price, but would like to get the best saw for the money. Stihl is the only brand name that has a local dealer.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ianab

The 361 is a better saw. Designed for professional use, it's lighter, similar power to the bigger 390 and more durable construction. It has more alloy components instead of plastic etc and should last a lot longer. The 390 isn't a 'bad' saw, it's just designed to a budget, to make a decent saw thats more affordable for farmers, part time firewood cutters etc.

It's hard to say which is a better deal, the 390 will do what you want and leave $100 in your pocket, but the 361 is a lighter, more durable saw. If $$ was no issue I would go for the 361, but then I also have a ms310 (smaller brother to the 390) and its been a perfectly good saw for part time use.

Guess that doesn't really help you decide, but at least you know what to base your decision on.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tony_T

I've got the predecesor to the 361 the 036, I love it and it's still tearing up the wood. I also have 020,028super, 038 magnum, and 066 magnum Stihls.  I use the 036 the most..............

As said above the 361 is a more durable saw, not only lighter but MORE powerful than the 390 (smaller engine but more HP).  If you open up the muffer on the 361 then you'll have a real screamer of a saw with less wieght than the 390

sawmilllawyer

Radar, my Dad has the 390 I used it a little and when it came time for me to buy a saw bit the  bullet and bought the 361 with a 20" bar. Yeah, it hurt at first but in the long run it is probably one of the last few saws I will buy, given that I am getting a little older.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sawmilllawyer

8 8) 8) Oh forgot to say I love my 361 stock it is a cutting machine. Just the right size and weight. However, I would like to get a pro hot saw builder to open it up, someday.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Ax- man

I own both of these models, with 3/8- 50 chain,  the 361 is lighter,  has a much faster chain speed than the 39 and the anti-vibs are far superior to the 39 or about any Sthil saw, haven't run the new 441 which is suppose to have the same anti-vibs, springs verses the rubber mounts. The 361 also has a decomp valve, I like this feature although it really isn't needed , just easier on my arm is all.

The 39 is a good  decent reliable saw for what it is, has enough power to be a good all around firewood cutting saw, also  has a good bottom end to it, IMO, don't be fooled by those extra cc's a 39 will not keep up with a 361, the engine design between the two saws is different.

I would not run a 24in bar on either of these saws unless you cut softwood like Pine trees, way to much bar for this size saw if your going to cut hardwoods,  mine are set-up with 20" which is about right for them.

Basically it comes down to that $100 saving, if you want to save that money go 39, or go for the deluxe 361 if comfort and speed are a factor.  

Radar67

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the 361 and now I know it will be a good investment. The alloy parts alone are worth the difference in price IMO.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodhick

radar, I have the 390 and can't complain at all.  I agree that a 24" bar is too big.  I used to run a Poulan pro 405 with a 18" and 24" bars. The 405 was really an old pioneer saw that poulan took ovwr when they bought out pioneer.  Good saw but was VERY heavy.  Very seldom used the 24".  My 390 has a 20" and it will outcut the old saw 2 to 1 and much lighter.  If I knew then what I know now I would prbably bought the 361 though.  I agree it is more of a professional saw where the 390 is a homeowner saw.  Stihl(no pun intended) there both Stihl's so should last you a long time.  Good Luck.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

SawTroll

Quote from: Radar67 on March 09, 2007, 11:30:40 PM
Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the 361 and now I know it will be a good investment. The alloy parts alone are worth the difference in price IMO.

Stew

Lean heavily to that one, there really isn't any comparison........ 8)
Information collector.

Engineer

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=22982.0

A thread I started asking essentially the same question.  I have not traded up to the 361 yet but intend to over the summer.

pwa

I have a 025 that I have been using to cut firewood with for the last 5 years. I am way overdue for an upgrade. I cut Oak mainly and this stuff is mostly seasoned stuff that has been dry or dead for most of the year. The saw I'm considering is 31,39, I think the 36 would be a great consideration without the price. Any thoughts

beenthere

Welcome to the forum pwa

No thoughts, just trying to decipher that what you said and asked.  :)

What is a 31,39 ?

Where are you located?

Just curious.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pwa

ms 310,ms 390,ms 360 And I'm in Gilroy.Ca

Rocky_J

Ditto to the advise offered earlier in the thread. Not much to add.  8)

Old_Hickory

gotta love those XP saws

wi woodcutter

even better yet get a ms 460  8)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

timberfaller390

I have a 390 with a 28" bar. I've been running the fool out of that saw for 4 years now and the only maintanance issue I have had is a cracked fuel line. "Pro" saw or not, this is a great little saw.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!