iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow look what came from Michigan!

Started by TexasTimbers, March 07, 2007, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Tom, this is super nice. You shouldn't have! My wife and I are glad you did something so generous as this. 8)

We really appreciate all the hard work, time, and talent you put into this. Gifts are something to be treasured and rest assured we will. Superb job retaining the color too. Thanks Tom!

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Hmm mmm, I can see a whole platter of Norm's home made doughnuts sitting there on that platter. ;D

Nice work Tom, that's awesome wood turning. The color did keep pretty good didn't it?  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

leweee

Great looken platter. 8)

Thanks for sharing those pics Kevin. ;D

Tom...you sure made that cookie into a Beauty. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

WDH

You thing those platters would hold grits too?  GOOD GOING 8) 8) 8)  Turningfool, you are the man  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bitternut

WOW!!!!
Thats pretty nice. What kind of wood is that and is there a before picture to go with it?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Very nice platter, Tom.  Do you mind sharing the kind of finish you used on it?  And, how did you keep it from splitting anyway? ??? :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

turningfool

metalspinner...i have been using pentacryl of late instead of end grain sealer fpr elimination of checking on green wood..so far so good..as i have done up approx. 50 green items thus far with virtually no checking in anything..knock on wood :D  as far as the finish goes i use behlens woodturners finish  a super fast drying padding laquer that can be applied on the lathe at low temepatures..it can be laft with a sheen or buffed to a shine..glad you liked the platter kev..i ,ve found lots of new friends on the forum and am sure glad i discoverd the friendlyest site on the net :)

turningfool

man! i either have to learn to type or to spell :D

JimBuis

Quote from: turningfool on March 08, 2007, 12:02:31 AM
man! i either have to learn to type or to spell :D

Why worry about that? Most of our forum brethren and sistren can't either.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

TexasTimbers

Jim,

I thnik yuo mghit bee exgretanig a lttile. Yuo porabbly aslo hvae offnened smoe peelpe two bye naught uinsg a slimey fcae  :o  :)

BigTrev

hay we mite not be abel too spel gud but we nose bout wood an thats wun fien plata. Mazin work Tom.

I rely luv th atmusfeer heer, not many plases in th world hav so many genrus folks wilin to do sumfin nice jus for th sake of it.

8)
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

WDH

What you said, BigTrev.  Sorry about the spelling..........I am not as creative as ya'll  8)

isawlogs

You gyus can try but noun of u's can imatate me and Chet .... try all you can ... but we have that spellin ting cornerd  ;D
   Dat beeing said ... you did a good job dere on dat peice of stove wood .  8) 8) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

turningfool

going to try a different sanding sealer the next time to see if i can retain more color in kevins amazing wood 8)

Furby

Quote from: turningfool on March 10, 2007, 10:34:59 AM
retain more color
You are kidding right ??? :o
Sure don't look like a lot was lost.
You did REAL good with it!

Mooseherder

Isn't kevjay already sleeping in his shop protecting the platter already? ;D

TexasTimbers

"My Precioussssss" ;D Yeah who know what Tom means by retain more color he didn't lose any of it how can he retain more ???

Speaking of the shop Furby you would not recognize it now. Guess what we found in it today? A concrete slab! :D

Furby

You found the slab ??? :o :o :o
We got to see a little peek of it after moving a bunch of stuff to get the mill in there, but to actually find the slab must have taken a bunch of work.
Got pics so you can remember it by ??? ;D

turningfool

just to let you know kevin,the finish used is not food safe so dont be stackin no doughnuts on the platter unless you have a paper plate or something under them :)

TexasTimbers

Too late. We all just got out of the hospital with near-death experinces. Doc says we barely escaped a lethal dose of "Death by Tainted Doughnuts" :D

Nancbee

Hate to show my ignorance but did anyone say what kind of wood that is? Can you please explain the origin of the color? It's fabulous!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

turningfool

gotta love your sense of humor kev :D

leweee

Quote from: Nancbee on March 15, 2007, 11:26:30 AM
Hate to show my ignorance but did anyone say what kind of wood that is? Can you please explain the origin of the color? It's fabulous!

Box Elder (Acer Negundo) and the color is one of ma natures best kept secrets. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!