iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The most successfully introduced North American tree species in Bulgaria.

Started by tonich, March 07, 2007, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonich

Hey Everyone,
I’m starting a thread for the most successfully introduced North American tree species in Bulgaria.  :)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 07, 2007, 12:35:35 PM
So, where are the photos?  ::)  ;D

No photos! Sorry! I don’t have my own photo.  :-[

Oooops! Wrong section! What a start! :D :D :D

SD,Would you please move the topic to section “Forestry and logging”!

Thanks!

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Listen up, SD!
I’m unable to travel to the nearest Red Oak plantation, to make pictures. It is as 200 km. away from the place I live.  ::)  ;D ;D So I’ll tell you what I know so far.
I believe, it is not very disappointing for you!
It shouldn’t be, since you are a DVD ahead.  ;D
_______

Speaking in a different topic about red oak ID, suggested to tell you the story about the Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra) in Bulgaria.

It was introduced over a century ago. At first as a park tree, but then for forestry needs. Nowadays there are many pure and mixed artificial plantations. Two years old seedlings are used on planting. The planting pattern is 2.0 x 2.5 m. Mixtures are of combinations of local oaks (refer to my profile!), Limes (NOT a citrus lime, SwampDonkey! :D :D :D) or/and Austrian Pine. As most suitable provenances for the local needs are claimed the ones from Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York. There are even regions here, where Red Oak is established and fully naturalized. Grow successfully, capable of self-regeneration and sustainable to local insects and disease. Red Oak stands are regenerated with shelterwood system mainly, which gives reasonable results for the time being. Age rotation is 100 years.
Comparing to local oaks, it grows faster, frutescence more often and is sustainable to atmospheric pollution. It is relatively more frost resistant, but still a bit light demanding and requires more fertilized soil. Develops flatroot, doesn’t like soil overwetting and not a calciphyte (comparing to Q. Cerris for instance). Its wood is a bit lighter and a les valuable than local oaks’ one. Overall it is considered a valuable introduced species. My personal vote is very positive. smiley_thumbsup

SwampDonkey

Hey!! It wasn't me claiming to grow citrus lime. I was just the myth buster.  ;D :D :D

Why do you call it lime? because it likes lime soils?  ::)

SwampDonkey

I heard train rides are not so expensive in Bulgaria. Maybe, we can have some photos later from your up coming trip 200 km from home? ;D

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 07, 2007, 01:20:08 PM
Why do you call it lime? because it likes lime soils?  ::)

I really don’t know.
Maybe. Might someone else from Europe tell us.
But generally Lime = Tilia

Check this out!  ;)
Your English is better, than mine.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

leweee

:D And I thought foresters Know all the Latin & common names. :D

Don P

Sure, the european lymewood carvers. Lime =linden=basswood I believe. I think alot of old icons and relief carvings were lime.

We've got northern red oak here in VA. One of my favorite woods. Our cabinets and trims are all red oak from off the property. I never thought that it might mean northern hemisphere  :D

treebucker

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

SwampDonkey

I know the definition in relation to more shade tolerant, but suppressed mid canopy trees. They develop a flat top because of dominant over story trees keep whipping the leader, so the lateral branches grow horizontal to reach for more light. Develops a flat top.

Not sure of the context that Toni is describing unless it's due to elevation or high winds on the hill sides/mountains.

WDH

OK tonich, I am ignorant as to which introduced North American tree species is the most successful in Bulgaria!.  I must be Quercus rubra ;D.

Right?  The Tilias are not introduced, right?     
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Don P on March 07, 2007, 04:39:32 PM
Sure, the european lymewood carvers. Lime =linden=basswood I believe. I think alot of old icons and relief carvings were lime.

Dang limies Brits.  ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ed_K

? for all you foresters. Whats flat root? an don't tell me thats where i ran em over wit da skidder  ;D .
Ed K

WDH

SwampDonkey

Oh flat root....hmmm how did i read that as flat top?

Hmm, I'm sure we'll soon have an answer from Bulgaria. ;)

I'm guessing he's referring to deep spreading lateral rooting behavior on their soils. On wetter, finer (clay) soils, I would think the tap root would be more suppressed. Any red oak I've tried to dig up that was more than 8 years old, had a root clean to China.  ::)

tonich

Wow!
I can see, you’re having fun around!?  ;D :D :D
Right!?
Keep going, then!  8)

Answers (in other of appearance):
@SwampDonkey:
No, I don’t have planted trees in the yard. As you see, there is no room for it:

The terrain is so steep, that I have to remove the house in other to plant trees around.   :D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!