iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'll Bet There Aren't Too Many of These Around

Started by Mark M, February 28, 2003, 10:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Jeff

We do!

(I am speaking collectively for Michigan)
Old Mile Creek in Mackinac City. There are pictures on here some where.
Found it!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave_Fullmer

Saw one like that on the Sangamon River in Illinois several years ago.  It intrigued me because of the blade going up and down.  Supposedly, it was running when Abe Lincoln lived in New Salem which is close by.  At least I think that was the story, it's been at least 30 years ago that we visited New Salem.

Dave
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

isawlogs

I seen one like it at Upper Canada Village in Morrisburgh Ont.Went there with the kids a few years back,great place I believe that it all takes place in the 1860 erra.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ohsoloco

Anyone else ever been to Knoebles Grove (I THINK  I spelled that right) in Elysburg, PA?  There's a nice collection of old logging stuff...a cutoff saw powered by a Frick (?) steam engine.  They were running it when I was there sawing slabs into firewood.  An old shingle maker, some HUGE logs, and an old blade and saw carriage from a mill that used to operate in the area.  Neat stuff to check out in between roller coaster rides  8)

biziedizie

It must be nice to not listen to a motor screaming in your ears and hear the water instead. Wouldn't it be nice to build a mill like this to show our kids how things were done in days gone by.

Steve

Jeff

Thats what I noticed at old mill creek. The sounds of the water, and the wooden wheels, and the sound of the wood being sawn. Very cool.

Ron Wenrich

How fast does something like that run?  I heard stories about the really old ones in England (I believe).  They used to put a log on and then go do something else for half a day.  When they came back, the slab was sawed and the next cut could be made.

Water power has always fascinated me.  I went through an old grist mill that has been running for 200 years.  Very low head.  2 old guys were running it, and they spent most of their time next to the stove, burning corn cobs for heat.

In years gone past, many towns used to get their electric from low head power plants.  Some of them had dams no higher than about 15 feet.  The electric company bought them after WWII out and destroyed them.    Couldn't stand the competition.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I would guess a feed rate on the say at about a foot per minute?  I really dont remember. I plan on visiting again this summer and taking lots of photos.

dewwood

Jeff,
I think you are about right on the feed speed, I know it has wooden cogs to advance the cant.  I believe the one up in Michigan has an undershot wheel to drive it and the one Mark has the photos of is an overshot system.  Both operate similarly it looks like except for the water delivery.  

I have visited the one up by Mackinac and it is very interesting to watch it operate.  They actually mill most of the lumber they use in the four state parks in that area.

Neat pictures, it would be interesting to see more.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Jeff

I found one more photo.  Old mill creek does not use a large water wheel that is powered directly by the creek. Water is diverted from the creek into a slew that flows through the mill and the wheel can be turned on and off with the flow of water. This picture is of the water coming out of the mill after it has done its job.

redpowerd

i love them nostalgic post and beams. curiously, are them beams axe hewed? :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Heck Red, throw yer canoe in the ole St. Lawrance seaway there and paddle on up to the Mackinac bridge and I'll meet ya there and treat you to a day at the ol mill creek. :)

Thank You Sponsors!