iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daylight Saving Time

Started by TexasTimbers, March 06, 2007, 09:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I love daylight. Except for the cold, I would like to live on the North Pole.  8)
I have no problem sleeping in broad daylight on top of a log if I need to. With the chainsaws running and the dog snoring next to me.
I thought I know a little about DST until I read all seven pages of this. You might want to read it too because as DST goes, you might actually be in the dark. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DanG

DanG didn't vote for the DanG option. ;D :D :D  I can deal with my own grits, but I'd be happy if they'd bump the clock up two or three hours.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mikeandike

I hate DST . I like to work on projects before my day job. You know
out the door and turn on the saw in the feeble AM light. Work hard for
a couple of hours the clean up and go to work.

n the evenings my energy level is shot and I want to go down early, but it's
still daylight.  If I were caught up I would probably like it. Come in from
work and tool up the lake and drift back to the house in the gloaming. Then
a cold beverage on the dock.

Guess it's all about what ya got to do and when.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

stonebroke

The sun still comes up at the same time, It is called DAWN.

Stonebroke

TexasTimbers

It still goes down at the same time too. At dusk. You might just be one of the few, the proud . . . . . . the watchless. ;D

I salute you.  smiley_thumbsup

Paschale

I love it in the most northernly parts of Michigan in the summer, when there's still light in the sky after 10:00 at night.  I'd take that ANY day of the year over light in the early morning, with darkness falling at around 4:00 in the afternoon.  Talk about depressing.  I hate fixing dinner in the dark.  Breakfast in the dark--that definitely suits me, which is the same reason I usually shower with the light off in the morning.   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Larry

Learned how to go watch less 35 years ago.  Nothing like paddling out at first pink to catch 10 footers on the north shore...Hawaii of course.  Hit the sack when tired...wake up few hours later to catch lunch.  Fire up the Kawasaki Mach 3 for a ride over the Pali to the south shore to watch the tourist chicks at Waikiki.  Buzz by the park and catch a little Carlos Santana.  Off past the Blow Hole for a round of body surfing but can't linger as we don't want to miss out on happy hour at the Blue Goose...best wine coolers in town.  Off to the theater to watch "B" rated movies of the real surfers conquering the Pipeline.  Come to think bout it those few that bother to wear a watch over there never did change the time.

Even in the corporate world I didn't wear a watch...most times I was in the office an hour maybe two before the first person showed up.  Work load permitting I was also the first out of the office.

And here on the PC typing out this post with a hard rock station on at near max....whoops...the PC says it's 1:20AM...bet she wished I would buy a watch.  Maybe when I hit the big 6...O   I'll start looking.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

I like the daylight savings and everyone I know does as well. They should just leave it on daylight savings, that way we have light until 6 pm in mid winter. ;D In the summer we have daylight around 5:30 or 6 am and I love it. Get a lot done before 10 am when it starts to get hot. The dew on the grass, if there was something we could do about that.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tcsmpsi

I chose the DanG option...because it was there.  None of the others really fit my feelings, thoughts or any predisposed premonitions about 'daylight savings time'.

It should be noted, however, that I never expect to be served grits, though I do prefer them without lumps, it doesn't slow me down or cause me any notable depression if I find them so.  Thinking of it, I really don't mind the lumps at all.  In fact, I actually kind of like them.  I do not like them with fungus or humus, though.  This, I am quite certain of.

Daylight is handy.  So is dark. 

Sometimes, I remember to set my clocks in accordance with 'the rule'.  Sometimes, not. 

I do make it a point to keep the pager I carry for my sexual assault/domestic violence/legal advocate work at the proper time for records keeping, and to remind me, from time to time, what 'time' the rest of the world around me is at.

I do have a wife, and I have a couple of children yet in the house.  My wife has an alarm clock, and I'm pretty sure that it has to be set accordingly.  Usually, it is 4:30 am, though it was 3:30 am this morning.  New stuff at work.  It was kinda exciting this morning, because we were trying out a new coffee.
Pretty good.  I just had a swallow that came from the bottom of the pot that I put in my cup to bring to work with me.

In fact, I had 20 lbs of new coffee brought to the shop yesterday.  4 different kinds. 

I remember well the first day of dst.  It was a very chaotic day, with a lot of misunderstanding and I was arrested for arson.  Was a bit embarassing, but otherwise not too earth-shattering, as the guilty culprit confessed.

Daylight Savings Time is just another of those thangs that people do, which I find irrelevant.

smiley_divide
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Modat22

More light means I get more done without always having to buy flashlight batteries.
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

Can someone explain to me the relentless effort to leave all the office lights on in a bright sunny day, in a well lit building with big windows? I've gone around on occasion in an office to shut off lights. Just as soon as you go about your business some 'butt', yes that's the term, goes around and turns them all back on.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

Don't get me started on this.  Our governor decided last year that those of us that don't change times need to for some reason or another.  The whole state of Indiana is now on the same (eastern) time while a few counties here in the southwest part of the state are in central.  WHAT A JOKE!  Our county council decided we needed to be in central why???  We have Kimball International, Jasper Engines and a few other lage companies that do most of their business to the east, duh!  JET employees over a thousand people and Kimball over 3,000. 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Raphael

My part time job (which I've held for 18 years) is 3-11pm.  I'm now geared to be more productive in the afternoon than the morning so I'd prefer daylight extend farther into the evening.
  I've never minded getting up while it's still dark, but that's generally deer season and they don't have watches.  ;)  I might feel differently about that if I had to get in a cold car and drive off to work in the morning like some people do, especially if I had to drive east.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Engineer

I like DST and would like to keep the shift permanent.  It would make for a strange day in mid-December, though.  I find the fall shift really easy to get used to, but I'm dreading the "spring ahead" coming up.  I have a hard enough time getting up at 6 am, now it'll feel like 5 am, and what used to be 11 pm will now be midnight and past my "usual" bedtime. 

I do like summer sunlight until late evening, though. 

Engineer

Quote from: kevjay on March 06, 2007, 10:57:01 PM
It still goes down at the same time too. At dusk. You might just be one of the few, the proud . . . . . . the watchless. ;D

I salute you.  smiley_thumbsup

I am one of them.  Got enough stinkin' timepieces around, don't need one attached to me.

Nancbee

Way over here on the North East Coast it's DANG hard to get up for work in the dark and leave the office for home in the dark...I'm so looking forward to daylight from 5 AM to 10PM!
Summer months here are so few (June, July, August) that I'll take all the sunshine I can get!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

thecfarm

I work 12 hours days.I leave at 5:15 AM,return at 7:15 PM.it's like living in a cave for 4 days a week.I do try to get outside at work to enjoy the daylight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I chose the DanG option because I had grits and eggs over easy this morning in Meridian, MS (eggs and grits all mixed up of course).  The post made me think of that fine breakfast ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I work witht the sun ... it comes up .. it goes down .. works well for me ..  smiley_sun
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Quartlow

If you need daylight get up when it daylight, Why not just split it int he middle and forget about it. The heat of the day is coming no matter what time the clock says, so is sunrise  and so is sunset. I doubt the universe cares where are clocks are set. Theres only so much daylight no matter what your clock says.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don_Papenburg

QL I am with you on that , only I don't care if they make it daylight nor standard or half way time .  JUST LEAVE it allyear once you decide.       Changing the clock to daylight time is like haveing your feet sticking out the bed sheet so you cut some meterial off the top and sew it on the bottom.   IT DON'T make sence.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Quartlow

:D :D :D :D Don thats the best explanation yet!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

OneWithWood

I really, really liked having a time zone all to ourselves - it used to be when you set up a computer you would pick your time zone and there for all to see was the common sensibilites of Hoosiers cause we had our own time zone called appropriately Indiana Time.

Then some stoopid sawed off whipper snapper needed an issue to get his administration up and running so he convinced a bunch of sniveling legislatures that our great state was behind the times and loosing gazzilions of dollars because we never bothered to change our clocks twice a year.  What baloney  ::)

Life was good and then . . . DST.  WHAT A CROCK!!!!!!

not that it matters that much to me  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DWM II

I like DST but I cant stand the change. It takes a couple weeks for me to get used to it.
Stewardship Counts!

TexasTimbers

Old men and dogs don't like change. Everytime I make a significant change i.e. moving a whack of logs or stack of lumber around here "Ol Red sulks for hours or days, directly proportional the the degree of change. I do my sulking right before the move.

Thank You Sponsors!