iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with saw-dust on socks???

Started by Robert Long, March 06, 2007, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

The wife wants answers to a big problem............What do you do with saw-dust on the socks?

It doesn't matter what I wear, boots, safety shoes or even high tops, saw-dust finds it's way into them and onto the socks. I try to shake them off but most of it stays on them and of course gets washed.

Does anyone out there have an answer?

ps   The hole can be repaired....that's another wify issue! :D :D :D ;D

Robert

wwsjr

We have a small mudroom between the garage and kitchen where my boots, coat, coveralls, etc come off. I have a small shop vac with round brush on the wand to remove dust from sleeves, pants and even the socks, while still on your feet. This may not be "the answer", but I find this works for me. I usually use the air compressor at the mill to blow off as much sawdust as I can before I leave the mill shed.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

beenthere

I have a "mud room" area just inside the door, and the washing machine right there. I just throw the clothes in there, socks and all, and turn the machine on. Takes care of the problem, and any fussin (unless I don't run the vacuum once in awhile around that area).  ;D

Otherwise, you could sort through her laundry and make some counter complaints, maybe.  :) ::) ::) (prolly NOT)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dancan

get someone else to do the milling  :D :D
just kidding ,i remember cross country skiing and using a nylon sock cover that would clip to your boot lace and tie with a draw string above the calf to keep snow from sticking and melting on your socks .

Robert Long

dancan

Did you try these sock covers while on the mill?

Robert ???

Dan_Shade

I don't have so much trouble with sawdust on my socks, as I do with it getting in my pockets!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

treebucker

Ok, remember those many summers spent loading all those heavy bales of hay? You know, all that itchy stuff that always seemed to get into places you'd rather it didn't? You learned back then that the way to deal with it was by keeping it from getting in your socks to begin with. Oh, wait a minute, that was me! smiley_blush

Well then, think of how a slate roof works. It relies on the fact that sawit doesn't run up hill. Those overlaps shed water. Works the same with hay, sawdust, etc. Simply make sure your pants are loose and open at the bottom and hang over the top of your shoes by a reasonable amount, your shirt tail hangs out, your shirt is tight enough at the neck, and your pants are tight enough at the waist. In other words, tight tops/loose bottoms. The first line of defense is don't let it in.  The second line of defence is to shed it high before it gets lower into delicate places. It doesn't work every time but it works most of the time. ;D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

TnSawyer

??? Dont wear blue socks. Wear white she'll never know its on them. ::)

Burlkraft

Usually it's not the sawdust on my socks that Jill worries about.... ;D ;D ;D      It's the toxic odor..... :D :D :D

I just throw my stuff in da washer. Then when it's done I put 'em in da drier. Then I gather up my pencils, screws and change out of da washer. I leave da big chunks of sawdust in da washer cuz Jill likes ta pick 'em out.... ;D ;D ;D
Then I get my clothes otta da dryer and pick the rest of my screws and nails outta da dryer... ;D ;D ;D

But I ALWAYS make sure I clean the lint screen on da dryer when I'm done.... ;) ;) ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ohsoloco

That's a LINT screen  ???  I thought it was a sawdust screen on the dryer   :D  Whatever I can't brush off or dig out of my pockets gets removed in the washer and dryer.

SwampDonkey

I can't comment on the sawdust problem, I ain't got anyone to answer to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I keep a stiff hair brush in the mudroom (actually it IS my hair brush, what the H#$% we're men) and use it to get the big stuff off while the sock is still on my foot. I also use this to clean off the chips from the inside of my boot liner. HOW do I get the saw dust out of the brush?, comb my hair with it of course, then into the shower, YEAH it is a never ending cycle.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

...or is it a dog hair screen on the dryer...  :D

MikeH

Tell her to be glad we dont work in the coal mines.  ::)

Robert Long

Thanks allhttp://www.forestryforum.com/board/Themes/default/images/post/thumbup.gif

Some of us better hope our wives don't unite......we could be in big trouble!

I think Wood Mizer should come up with a decontamination chamber for sawyers. :D :D :D

Robert

Jeff

Before you go in at night, take your shoes off, them cover your mouth, pinch off your nose, and blow real hard.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don_Papenburg

That will just "clean" the clothing about 2.5' above the soxs
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sawdust

Now you know where my name came from. Wifey hates that my pocket loads end up on the towels and other stuff. I am banned from the laundry equipment.... not such a bad thing.
I retaliated and told her she is not allowed to use my plasma torch or welder. 8) Mostly she wrinkles her nose when I come in after playing with those.

Those nylon/denim coverthings for socks are gaiters, never thought to use them for sawdust. Years ago in a fine homebuilding mag I saw some guy had designed a sock, the sock had two "tops" foot part was normal then you pulled it up onto your calf. The neat part was the second top then folded down over the top of your boot keeping the dust and dirt out of your boot top. I would draw one but have no idea how to post it.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

fat olde elf

Wife put up a sign in the laundry room "paul can wash and dry any of his clothes that he wants " ERC dust shows up on white socks.......Like many others, I try to get as much fallout off of me as possible before I enter the garage on my way into the house..Shoes off near the steps, etc,  One thing you could try....toss dusty stuff into the dryer and run a no- heat cycle on it....   Works great on flannel shirts and dusty pants..... Be sure to clean the filter !!!!!!  I feel like the Pigpen character in the Peanuts cartoon strip........No offense PIGMAN...........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Radar67

I tuck my pant leg into my lace up boots. We call it blousing in the military. Keeps sawdust, ticks, red bugs and such out.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

timcosby

buy a norwood. the sawdust is on the other side.

pants in boots then duct tape to the knee!!! no more sawdust on socks.

raycon

Buy or make a pair of Gators. I'm not sure thats the real name but its what I've been calling them. A ski shop that handles back country equipment will sell them or give you an idea. Keeps the burrs from getting all gnarled up in your laces as well.
Lot of stuff..

379hammerdown

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 06, 2007, 07:29:20 PM

I just throw my stuff in da washer. Then when it's done I put 'em in da drier. Then I gather up my pencils, screws and change out of da washer.

:D :D :D That is so funny!! Glad I'm not the only one that washes "Everything"  :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Some of us even been known to wash the cell phone.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!