iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smells that make me happy

Started by Pete J, March 05, 2007, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

I was cutting some stair treads this weekend and realized that I really, really like the smell of Douglas Fir sawdust. After I was done working, I go up to the shower and my wife just put up a new vinyl shower curtain. I love the smell of new vinyl right out of the package.

Here's my current TOP 5 smells. Anyone else?

Douglas Fir sawdust.
Brownies fresh out of the oven.
Pert Shampoo. Don't know why, maybe it's just me.
Low Tide on the New England coastline. That sweet, swampy, dead-fishy smell.
New vinyl. To me it just smells clean.

Burlkraft

Green walnut and exhaust fumes when yer slabbin' it........ ;D ;D ;D

I love the smell of green walnut in da mornin'.... :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pasbuild

Topping my list today would have to be the smell of spring, gettin real tired of movin dis snow around :(
food cookin is always a good one ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Paschale

I don't think about this very often, but now that you mention, I suppose I can come up with a top five list.

1. The smell right after it rains on a summer day--and the first smell of some flowers in the spring.
2.  The smell on the shore of Lake Superior, with the wind whipping right off the water--nothing's fresher.
3.  The smell of an orange, right after you peel it.
4.  The smell of ash or oak
5.  The smell of pretty much any kind of food.   ;D

PS  Shouldn't you say you love the smell of Logrite Brownies, right out of the oven?   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Pineapple - you see we get these huge trucks stuffed with ripe pineapple. The only issue when you are stuck behind one is that you tend to drool on your steering wheel...  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Wenrich

Rain, especially after its been dry.

A new car.

Freshly turned dirt, in the spring.

Black locust blossoms.

As for sawn lumber, black birch and sassafras.

Freshly mown grass.  (I know that's number 6).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scgargoyle

In no particular order-
Babies
Camphor leaves when you mow 'em
Fresh cut wood being made into a boat
Coffee when you first wake up in the morning
Lily of the Valley
I once lost my sense of smell (and taste) for almost 2 years due to an infection. You can't imagine what it was like when it returned!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom

For some reason, due to Anesthesia during surgeries, I have lost my smell.  It isn't damaged nerves because, sometimes, I can smell and the sense is overwhelming.  After a 15 or 20 minutes, it goes away again.  Perhaps it's mental, though I can't figure out a reason I would subconsciencly shut it off. 

Anyway, I find myself driving down the road when my nose gets turned on and a county tractor is mowing the right of way.  It's the best smell in the world.  I have to pull over and breath deeply, reveling in it.   Sometimes it is so brilliant that I can't stand much and have to leave.  But, I leave slowly.

If my nose is turned on, I can watch a farmer work his hayfield all afternoon.

sawman

For me, I'd have to say
  freshly turned earth
  cedar sawdust
  fried chicken
  fresh cut grass, ( if i am not the one who cut it)  ;D ;D 
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

onionman

Lets not forget BBQ cooking over some shingle bark hickory

Radar67

The smell of a good camp fire in the cool, early autum morning.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tcsmpsi

Dark becoming Light in the desert southwest

Baby humans

My Wife

Pinon smoke

Pine growing in the heat of summer
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Engineer

fresh cut grass
black birch, freshly sawn green
onions cooking in butter
dirt
clean sheets

Actually my most vivid recollection of a "smell" was in March 1991, I was in senior year of college here in VT, it was cold and snowy and miserable, and some friends and I decided we were going to Puerto Rico for spring break (one of our classmates and friends was from there).  Anyway - stepped out of the airport into the outside air, it was about 11 pm, has just rained and was about 80 degrees.  The smell was like being in the world's biggest greenhouse.  It was unbelievable, and it stuck with me all that week and for months afterward.  I have never been in a greenhouse that smelled that intensely.  And I love the smell of "greenhouse".

woodbowl

Collard greens cookin'
Boston butt on the grill w/ hickory & oak
Bacon &  eggs in the morning
Pecan leaves burning
Peanut harvest time

I live in the peanut belt. S.W. Ga, S.E. Ala and N.W. Fla. all dig peanuts around the same time and the whole country side smells  ..... hard to explain, not exactly like peanuts, but a combination of fresh plowed dirt and green peanuts.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Troy

I grew up in North Carolina and worked in the tobacco feilds as a kid.  I miss the smell of flu cured tobacco on a cool fall morning...
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Karl_N.

Cedar- My clothes after cutting x-mas trees and boughs- Woodsmoke in October, I'm sick of it by now- Gasoline, in small doses- Fresh country air- Maine mudflats.

I worked on fishing boats for a while and the first time we were on our way back in after a couple weeks I was taken by surprise by the smell of the ocean, actually as it turns out-the smell of the land.

TexasTimbers

Bacon
Maple syrup on buckwheat flapjacks lathered with butter
More Bacon
More Maple Syrup
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Don P

I hear you Troy, at one time there were 7 miles of tobacco warehouses in Durham. Driving through there when they were full was a good smell.
I was working some heart pine today. That's another smell I really like.

mike_van

Coffee - good old Columbian - burning leaves - BACON frying - most any sawdust [except basswood]   & hay thats ready to bale -  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

RSteiner

The smells that are on the top of my list would be;

Diesel smoke in the morning, especially a sunny crisp fall morning.

White pine being sawn on the mill.

The smell of the air after an afternoon ran in the summer.

And I have to agree clean sheets are right up there too.

Randy
Randy

CLL

The smell of a Outback steak. WHOOEEEEE  Slow cooked baby back ribs. Fresh cut alfalfa hay.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ohsoloco

One of my favorites that has alread been mentioned is freshly tilled soil  :)

That special scent in early spring when you first open the house windows.

A calm, bitterly cold night.

The woods right after it rains. 

A campfire. 

WDH

Eastern Red Cedar air drying

The ocean on the outer Banks of North Carolina

Fish frying

The Outback steakhouse right next to the hotel that I am staying in tonight in Mississippi::)

Black Walnut

My least favorite smell............rattlesnake smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woody1

I like all the stuff you guys have written....But my best scent is Tova Signature Perfume on my sweety..it'll make your heart pump !!
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Corley5

U.S. currency $$$$$$   ;) ;D ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BigTrev

In no particular order:

Freshly cut grass
Coffee beans
Rum cured tobacco (even though I don't smoke)
Wet pine sawdust just after its rained at night
Cinnamon
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Ed_K

My jasmine flowering late in the evening or early morning.
White pine saw dust. I tell Rita she should make a pine saw dust candle at Yankee Candle, and we all might be willin to go wit da hunies to da candle shop  ;D .
Ed K

sawdust

In no particular order.

My late grandmothers perfume. I dont know what it was but I have been known to follow women down the street!

Orange blossoms in Florida

Pine sawdust I can just sit in the forest or on a log pile for hours.

Snowcat and locomotive diesel exhaust in the cold of winter. does nothing for me in the summer.

Dark rum

Exhaust from a 2 cycle snowmobile.

Firecracker smoke, .22 shells

To each his own!

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

thecfarm

Hay being made
Bread in the oven
That one spring day when it really smells like spring
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

In no particular order

eastern red cedar
prescribed fire in the piney woods
freshly roasted and ground coffee brewing
yellow jasmine
apple pie in the oven

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

wiam

My wifes banana bread cooking.

Will

BigTrev

MmMm sooo many good smells, now I'm hungry  :D

TexasTimbers

Food. All of it DanGit bring it on! ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Don_Papenburg

Walnut saw dust  dry   walnut sawdust green   Fresh whole wheat bread in the oven  Pumpkin pie on my plate   Maple syrup cooking down  fresh cut /made hay
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom_Averwater

Fresh baked bread ,food I didn't have to cook ,fresh tilled soil ,spring rain
He who dies with the most toys wins .

breederman

Most of my favs have been mentioned.   Fresh turned soil, newly mowed hay,hot cinnomin rolls,pine sawdust.
Together we got this !

Ga_Boy

My favorite all time smell is from my childhood...

The smell of a baseball field.......

The rest...
Oak being milled
My Wife's chocolate chip cookies baking
A camp fire
Freshly turned earth

We all seem to have similar likes for smells..... ???
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

tcsmpsi

Well, WDH, I like the smell of rattlesnake pretty well.  But, those big old stub-tailed moccassins stink.

That being said, I still like being to smell the both of them.  Well in advance.  Kinda like some humans.   

:D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bull

WOW
Pine smoke
Top quality corn silage
Hemlock Bark Mulch
Pine Bark mulch
freshly plowed feild
Cow manure from a well managed herd " You can tell the difference" !!!
Apples in cold storage
The smell of a spring morning w/fresh dew!
my wife when she's gettin all Gussied up !!!
Good compost
Yankee Candels " Pine candel"
Yankee candels  " wood smoke candel"
fresh cut grass

Norm

Steaming hot coffee, columbo supremo is my favorite
Freshly mown hay
Black cherry being cut on the mill
Onions cooking in butter

The first time in spring that we get a good rain and then open the windows up to get rid of the collected smells from winter....come on spring!

Weekend_Sawyer

I love the smell of woodsmoke especially the pine knots I use as fire starters.

I love the smell of diesel smoke, takes me back to when my Dad used to fire up his dozer whe I was a kid.

I love the smell of my smoker running on hickory, apple or red oak.

I also agree with many of the earler mentioned posts, grass, fresh turned earth, cedar sawdust...

I will not even start to talk food except to say that frying onions makes my heart skip a beat, Mom used to start alot of meals by frying onions.

The musty smell you get down by a river has a calming effect on me, why I could take a nap right now just thinking about it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

The soft fragrant smell of my wife
the leather interior of the '84 XJS
the air after a summer rain
honeysuckle and jasmine
a good scotch
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

Ahh, a good scotch, nectar of the gods 8) I love the smell of fresh cut timber on the log landing and fresh hot coffee. I also like new mown hay but it makes my fingers hurt remembering those wire tied 80 lb bales.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nancbee

Funny how smells can take you back to your childhood...first and second!
Spring rain
a field of lupine
bread baking

Now later...
grandbabies
pine trees around the lake
burgers on a grill

c'mon summer!!!! It's -25 with the wind today! A record low "high" for the date
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

moosehunter

My bride used to keep a can of PLAY-DOH on top of the fridge. We would take that can down, open it up and share a big wiff. Musta been a childhood memory thing.

Others;
Bacon frying.
fresh cut hay.
That smell from the feed mill. I don't know what it is is, and it prolly don't taste good.....
Camp fires.
Hopps, properly hydrated of course, with a dose of barley ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

scgargoyle

Quote from: Engineer on March 05, 2007, 06:51:45 PM
fresh cut grass
black birch, freshly sawn green
onions cooking in butter
dirt
clean sheets

Actually my most vivid recollection of a "smell" was in March 1991, I was in senior year of college here in VT, it was cold and snowy and miserable, and some friends and I decided we were going to Puerto Rico for spring break (one of our classmates and friends was from there).  Anyway - stepped out of the airport into the outside air, it was about 11 pm, has just rained and was about 80 degrees.  The smell was like being in the world's biggest greenhouse.  It was unbelievable, and it stuck with me all that week and for months afterward.  I have never been in a greenhouse that smelled that intensely.  And I love the smell of "greenhouse".
We get that greenhouse smell a lot here in FL, right after a big summer thunderstorm. 80 degrees would be a rare cold snap, though. Our summer thunderboomers only cool it down for a few minutes.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

limbrat

The river under the tail race
Bream beds when there spawning
skunk in passing
some books
cool weather when it first comes
ben

isawlogs

Asking such a loaded question ... this time of the year: the smell of  melting snow , soon the smell of maple syrop in the making . Haye being cut , opening a cherry log witht eh mill . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

When I was a little bitty kid, my Granddaddy would come in the house and jam his old hat onto my head.  Of course, it would fall right down over my face.  I will never forget the scent of that old hat, and OH would I love to smell it again.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

When I was a kid I liked the smell of gas when we filled up at the gas station.Also liked the smell of old grease on old,long unused logging equipment.

Fresh cut hay,Absorbine Jr,Yellow Cedar.

When we would go away for a week and have our dog with us,he'd start to whine and yip happily when we would come back through the Joffre pass and start to decend into the Pemberton Valley.I guess he could smell "home" in the air.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paschale

Quote from: Paul_H on March 06, 2007, 09:57:56 PM
When I was a kid I liked the smell of gas when we filled up at the gas station.

You and me both...particularly the smell of the gas being filled up on a long road trip with the family, which was usually the time I wanted to be outside, helping dad pump the gas.  That brings back some fond memories...

I'm working on planning a road trip with my dad, brothers and nephews up into the U.P., for this summer.  Hopefully, it will turn into an annual trip with the male members of the family, and I'll be outside again, pumping gas with dad...and my nephews.   :)

Mooseherder

I like alot of the smells mentioned and would like to add a few. ;D
The smell of a Puppy.
Steak or Chicken cooking on an open flame.
Walking into a Bakery in the morning.
Dunkin Donut Coffee.
Old Hot Rods.
I got more but dey are all food related. ;)

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 06, 2007, 10:16:11 PM

I got more but dey are all food related. ;)

Three of the five you listed were food related too, Mooseherder.  Hmmmmm.  What is that telling us? ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Quote from: DanG on March 06, 2007, 10:19:34 PM

Three of the five you listed were food related too, Mooseherder.  Hmmmmm.  What is that telling us? ;D :D :D

I broke the 200 lb mark last week. ;D
200 lbs. ain't bad if your six foot I guess.
I'm just a few inches short of da mark. :D

blaze83

hear we go, in particular order

1}  my mom's home made chili in the crockpot.  she starts it about 8am and by the time 2 o'clock rolls by my dad and I are circling the crockpot like a couple of vultures

2) 2 cycle exaust mixed with fresh cut douglas fir or lodge pole pine

3) west coast trout stream in the early morning

4) hot dog vender at a baseball game

5) ponderosa pine forest on a hot day
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

WDH

The smell of good fried catfish while having the honor of meeting and dining with Radar67 in Collins, MS tonight.  Priceless.........First it was Sgtmaconga, then DanG, then Radar67.  Where will it all end ?  I want to meet all ya'll 8).  Piggy roast, here I come ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Yeah, we had a good visit...and a fine meal. :) Once you get started meeting folks, it is almost as addictive as sawdust, just can't seem to meet enough of em. You have a safe trip Danny, and stop back by whenever you get the chance.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

I will definitely be back. You are gonna need some help stacking all that lumber for the new house ;) ;).  Ah, the smell of drying lumber..........makes me happy :D.  (What this really means is that I will get to eat more Mississippi catfish, the best in the world.  If you want to try it, Collins, MS is a good place to start).

Radar67

I was just telling the wife you might get tired of me helping you tail all your lumber when I come over to Augusta for that 5 month school.  ;)

Stew

Paschale

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 06, 2007, 10:43:25 AM
Ahh, a good scotch, nectar of the gods 8)

What's your fave?  I'm a fan of Oban myself, and Talisker.  Gotta love a good bottle of Scotch!   8)

Modat22

1. the smell of clean cotton sheets that have been out on a line.

2. Fresh cut grass or hay

3. honeysuckle (love the smell hate the vines)

4. the smell of an incomming rain storm.

5. pecan pie baking in the oven.

6. a weird one but I like the smell of horses
remember man that thy are dust.

Engineer

Quote from: Paschale on March 07, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

What's your fave?  I'm a fan of Oban myself, and Talisker.  Gotta love a good bottle of Scotch!   8)

Macallan, or Laphroaig.  Also get into Jamieson's occasionally, although Irish Whisky really ain't the same thing.   ;D

tcsmpsi

I am very disillusioned. :'(  Used to be, I thought Gusana Rojo was the nectar preferred by the gods.  Or, maybe it was just the worm talking.  They do that, you know. 

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I try to stay clear of that stuff. Paschale, you are a man of class, none of that blended stuff here either.

OneWithWood

Quote from: Engineer on March 07, 2007, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: Paschale on March 07, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

Macallan, or Laphroaig.  Also get into Jamieson's occasionally, although Irish Whisky really ain't the same thing.   ;D

Oban, Talisker, Macallan, Laphroaig, Balviene, Highland Park, Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, Cardhu, Bowmore, Glendronach, Lagavulan.  They all have their own special qualities.  However, I am most fond of the one that is in front of me at any given time  ;)
One With Wood

sawguy21

Those are all excellent choices for a glass to be shared with friends.The Laphroaig certainly has a unique smell and taste.

OneWithWood

Yes.  I particularly like the Laphroaig 10 yr.  A very clean taste.  It sure would be nice if we could meet up somewhere and raise a glass.  :)
One With Wood

Hi-Country Orange

a blended coconut rum drink relaxing on a beach smelling the tropical waters  :)  8)  8)

Nancbee

Quote from: DanG on March 06, 2007, 09:56:32 PM
When I was a little bitty kid, my Granddaddy would come in the house and jam his old hat onto my head.  Of course, it would fall right down over my face.  I will never forget the scent of that old hat, and OH would I love to smell it again.

Yes, I feel the same way about my Dad's hat...that manly smell of a sweat band! Thank God that he's still with me at age 96!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

BigTrev

Well I am a Grant by clan so I tend to favor our family stock, Grants and Glenfiddich. Found out a few years ago a good mate of mine is a grant as well so we have been trading bottles back and forth for special occasions ever since, at least we always know what to get for each other at Christmas :D

Paschale

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 07, 2007, 11:19:54 AM
Those are all excellent choices for a glass to be shared with friends.The Laphroaig certainly has a unique smell and taste.

The Laphroig definitely has a unique taste--in a good way, but you're got to really be in the mood for a smoky tasting Scotch.  Goes well with a nice cigar.   ;D  MacCallan is mighty fine--had the opportunity to share some 18 yr old MacCallan, and it was nice and smooth.

I realized I'm out of Scotch...might have to make a run.  This talk of fine smelling Scotch is giving me the itch.  I do have some Woodford Reserve Bourbon in the house--that's one of my fave bourbons, fwiw. 

WDH

Yes, Nancbee,  you are lucky. 

Glenfiddich, now that is fine..... ::)

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Woodbender

No particular order

Going across the Mackinac Bridge with the windows rolled down.

Sitting on a rocky granite outcrop in the Minnesota Boundary Waters with my son and smelling warm earth and northern cedar buds.

Smelling my wife's home ground whole wheat bread fresh out of the oven when I walk in the door after work.

The smell of a very intense lightening storm. It's a great smell as long as you are not paddling across open water with your butt encased in a wet aluminum canoe.  :o WooHOO!
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Paschale

Forgot one of my all time favorite smells:

The smell of a pine forest you're hiking through in the heat of the day in the middle of summer.  If you could bottle that, you'd make a fortune!   8) 8) 8)

theorm

Mom's cinnamon rolls
Wife's perfumed letter when I was overseas
Kentucky boubon on the rocks
freshly mown alfalfa
puppy breath

especially the second one
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

bull

BARK MULCH FRESH OUT OF THE LIVE FLOOR !!!!!  Mulch season has begun """"" Yahooo !!!!!!!
8) 8) 8) 8) Im in da money  8) 8) 8) 8)   

Slabs

Some of you would go nuts in my yard now with the Wisteria in full bloom, the Dogwood coming on strong and the Horse Sugar just fading out and the Hackberry about to open.  Dogwood blooms and Azelea blossoms complement the visual effect.

The fragrence (smells) are practically intoxicating.  I'm blessed to be able to live out here in the woods with all these naturally occuring fragrancies here in the yard.

Hope you have something to compare with it.

Blessings to all.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

OneWithWood

Yep.
Redbuds coming on, dogwoods starting to burst forth, forsynthia all aglow, daffodils been up for a while, poplars turning greener every minute, maples glowing soft pink, grass growing as fast as it can because the mower deck is out of commision - hey, wait! slow it down a bit  :o ::)
One With Wood

WDH

Have the polar bears come out of hibernation yet?

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on March 29, 2007, 10:54:21 PM
Have the polar bears come out of hibernation yet?
Polar bears don't hibernate silly!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

How would you know ???
You can't seem to find a black bear let alone a polar bear.  ;) :-X

Not sure if hibernate is the correct term, but the females do at least hunker down for the winter to give birth, never leaving the den till spring or so if I'm remembering correctly.

WDH

I guess you are right, Boss.  DanG looks like a polar bear and he don't hibernate.

inspectorwoody

Diesel exaust from the old circle mill I grew up on.

Wood smoke.

Chainsaw exaust.

This may sound strange but cow poop and hay....A mixed smell.  :D

Gadget

sawguy21

I prefer the smell of hay before it goes through the cow. :D The black bears and grizzlies are out and there have already been some unpleasant confrontations. Swamp Donkey, there was a big snowstorm in Prince Rupert last week and you missed it ;)

Modat22

have to add one.

The smell of home cooked fried chicken, biscuits and greens.

Haven't smelled the good stuff since my grandma passed away years ago.
remember man that thy are dust.

Chris Burchfield

My Grandfather's International Cub as a 2 -3 yoa child. Later in life, at 16, I cut yard for Mary Ann Mobely, Miss America about 1964, she was from Mississipi. She married a world renound ear doctor Shea in Memphis. I became their yard boy. They had an International Cub Cadet riding lawn mower that had the same smell.

My Grandfather's coal fired forge. Again as a small child about 5 -6 yoa. Much later in life, 29 or there abouts, I visited the National Ornamental Iron Museum in Memphis. As I stepped on property, I could smell the coal fired forges and knew I was in the right place.

Scratch cathead buttermilk busicuts near ready.

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

clif

Some others I  like:  the pungent smell of the forest  in the Fall
                                the smell of Elk, ' cause that means I'm close!
                                 the smell of the sea
                                 the smell of digging for earth worms as a kid
                                 the faint fragrant smell of night blooming flowers

Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

jjmk98k

Bacon frying over a coleman stove on a chilly morning

Hoppes No. 9 Bore solvent

freshly burned gunpowder through a shotgun ( smell of freedom)

the right perfume on the right woman...... espeically southern gals ;)

Pizza
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

woodbowl

Nothing ......  Sometimes it is the best smell of all because when I saw all week with the wind blowing sawdust in my face, I am burned out of wanting to smell anything, plus we have 5 girls so I get sprayed every morning and evening with the latest perfumes, Lotions and powder. My kids sometimes say, daddy you don't know what smells good. I think about that and wonder if their a little bit right, but when my wife cooks collards, lima beans, fried chicken and corn bread ...... I think to myself oh yea, I know what smells good.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Sid

-A stove filled with oak on a winter morning
-Sugar cane cooking
-Fresh cut cypress
-babies
-The Okefenokee swamp in the  Summer
-Clean sheets
-Cows\Horses
-The river swamp in the summer
-A smoke house
-Money ! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!