iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nearly Free Hay Storage Shed

Started by Left Coast Chris, March 04, 2007, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Well, it took a little longer than I thought but here is our nearly free hay storage shed (10'x10'):

The framing, roof and floor boards are from the two digger pine logs salvaged last month.  The siding is a combination of two cedar logs donated by a local contractor and two dawn redwoods from the neighbor that were girdled by her neighbors goats.  The pipe skids are from the bone yard out back.  The only things that cost money was four bundles of fiber glass roof shingles and two rolls of 30# felt for the walls and roof.   The doors are not installed yet.  Good winter project. 

In a week or so when I get it pushed into position besides my wifes horse shelter and put the hay in it I can have the barn for lumber storage.  Never seems to be enough space. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Robert Long

Farmer77

What does the horse shelter look like?  The hay will certainly enjoy staying in that shed! ;D ;D

Robert

snowman

Nice looking shed, put a door on it, a small woodstove in it and I could call it home! :)

Left Coast Chris

Robert & Snowman.....

Yea,  its probably too nice for hay but there is a little background that I should mention: ::)

The 16' x 32' area of the end of the barn was added on specifically for the wifes horse......or lets say more for the wife.  With all of the emotional attachments, the horse had to have a "proper" facility.    Well, as time went on I needed room to store lumber and began encroaching on the horse area............. besides, the horse just stood out in the rain during most rain storms anyway! 

The lumber kept inching its way into the horse area until it became obvious that the horse was starting to become second fiddle.    You can see where this is going.  ;D

Soooo..... proper hay storage is allowing a nicely large area of the barn to be used for lumber and the wife is so far o.k. with it.   Another good thing is that the horse is being pushed away from my shop along with the dust, flys etc.   

Proper hay storage = happy wife = sawmill operation stays out of the dog house.  :) :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

How many bales of hay can ya get in there? 
A weeks worth?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

beenthere............  don't say that too loud.........its not the capacity....... its the good feeling of doing the right thing for the animal.  ;)

We need to be carefull here or I could be out there building a bigger one. :'(  As it is, she can store about 16 bales which lasts about two months since the horse feeds on small amounts of grass in the pasture also.

beenthere

I hear ya...... :)

Just as well put wheels under it, fill it with hay, add a feeding window (bars, etc) and place it where needed. Then once it's full, just go in da shed and put the hay in the feeder for da horse (s).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

solodan

Farmer, I am glad to know that someone has had success with digger pine. I have never heard anything but horror stories in trying to produce useful lumber from it. We have lots of it down the hill from me in the low elevations. I think the cones could be used to make nice medevial weapons. :) And for those of you who have never seen a digger cone, a green one falling from a tree could kill you. :o   Nice shed, you could always cut shingles for the roof next time making it all free exept the paper. :)

WDH

Nice hay shed.  Good logic too 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dale Hatfield

two dawn redwoods logs?
When they were sawn did you find the lumber to be like rubber.I sawed some on the east coast with plans to make a picnic table only to find that it bent more than a wet noodle.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

slowzuki

Hehe I am looking to build a hay storage shed so was eager to see what was built, unfortunately the scale is a bit off, I need to store 4-5000 bales and be able to tip up a NH bale wagon. :D

WDH

4000 bales..........hmmmmmm......So, is that the difference between a hay shed and a hay barn  ????
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Robert Long

Hey slowzuki

I understand you can not use those big round bales out there in New Brunswick any more, because the cows can't get a square meal! :D :D :D :D

Robert

Left Coast Chris

Solodan.....

I to have heard many stories about digger pine.  I did find an old timer that used it for his barn framing and it was still up after 20 years.   I was carefull to use only the butt loggs that had the heart center in the center or very close to it.  No tension or compression boards noted when sawn.  That was a good sign.  I let it dry for only a month or so this winter with very little warpage.  It was so full of sap that not sure it will really ever dry  :o.   My hope is that since its all nailed down it will not go any where.   I guess that is what they do when they use it for trailer decks also.  Im keeping my fingers crossed.  Will probably at least get plenty of ozzing pitch when it gets hot.

Dale........  Yea the dawn redwood was pretty elastic.  It did stiffen up some when it lost moisture.  It seems to be fine spanning 16" studs.   I did put in a lap with the shaper for all of the siding.  The color is what was so remarkable.   Since the pic was taken I did paint it.  It took seven gallons of latex to do the inside and out.   ::)

WDA......  uh oh.........4000 bales ........ sounds like you may be in the steel frame category.   Or........out here we see some of the round bales with a thick white plastic shrink wrap...... but then you miss out on the fun of building.   Bite my toung. :)

slowzuki

Nah, they're able to moooooove to different feeds easily. :D

Quote from: Robert Long on March 05, 2007, 10:32:58 PM
Hey slowzuki

I understand you can not use those big round bales out there in New Brunswick any more, because the cows can't get a square meal! :D :D :D :D

Robert

brdmkr

Farmer,

That is a nice looking shed.  The price was right too 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LT40HDD51

Weve had the SPCA called on us twice so far cause the girlfriends horse was standing out in the rain or snow  ::). We live right in the town of Greenwood (with the military base), and our pasture is suppounded by subdivisions full of people who know nothing about animals but think they do for some reason. They saw him standing out there and thought the horse was cold, dont they realize the woods are filled with animals who stay outside ALL the time? Should we build little shelters all thru the woods for the cute little bambis? More birdhouses for the chickadees? I could go on for days... :D

I still havent figgered the pic posting thing out yet, but heres a link to the shelter we built last fall: cheap barn. Id guess it cost us about $300 with nails, shingles, and a couple boxes of frosty beverages to keep the hammer-swingers comin back to work fer free  ;D. Should keep the neighbours off our case...

Funny thing, it was recently too snowy to get the truck to the shelter to put a round bale inside, so we dropped it outdoors at the top of the pasture. The horse spent all night in -15° weather with strong winds blowin, outside his shelter munchin on hay. Guess they dont mind the cold a bit  ;D.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

flht01

Hay storage shed? Nah, I see a nice building to hang cant hooks, store bandsaw blades, maybe a setter/sharpener, etc... Nice try  no_no  Better hope she don't find out.

WDH

Nice pics.  Nice horses too.  They don't look too mistreated  ;D.

theorm

LT49,

Joe, the horse, looks purdy sleek. Wish I looked that good during the winter...

Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

LT40HDD51

EXACTLY  :D. He's out right now in -20°c with the wind howlin and his thick coat and hide is keepin him nice and warm. When its really cold he just stands there and eats hay steady.

Im sorry to say the paint horse is not with us anymore, she broke her front left leg badly and we had to put her down  :(. The girlfriend had to call her sister in Alberta and give her the bad news (it was her horse), rough day on the girls. Joe is kinda lonely now. Dont even know how she broke it, nothing apparent in the pasture... The local zoo came and got her for the lions and tigers. They get lots of livestock that way from the farmers around here. At least she went to good use in the end... Poor ol girl... :(.
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

WDH

Sorry to hear about paint horse.

Left Coast Chris

Hmmmmm...... hope the neighbors did'nt see you put her down.  At least you have a nice shelter to show the SPCA officer when he comes back.

Thank You Sponsors!