iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln - partially completed

Started by Peakebrook, March 03, 2007, 09:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peakebrook

I finally got around to taking a picture of the kiln project.  It still needs the loading doors, the inside baffles, and to be painted.  I hooked up the solar panels to the three 16 inch fans.  When it is sunny, they certainly move some air!

WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

metalspinner

Awsome!

I can't tell if that is snow on the glazing or if the glazing is opaque, or maybe just glare?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

mikeandike

I really got to have one of those. Where did you get the plan?
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Peakebrook

I used the Virginia Tech info to correctly size the collector and fan CFM.  My goal was to dry 2500 bf of 5/4 red oak at a time.  The building is 18 x 12.  The attached link will bring you to the Tech article.  Woodmizer sells a design/hardware kit. 

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Solar_Kiln_Designs_1.html

The glazing is 10mm x 10mm box-walled polycarbonate used for greenhouses.  That is condensation on the inside of the panels.

twobears

that looks like a really nice kiln.how much cfm are you moving with those three fands??

delbert

Peakebrook

I have two 110 watt solar panels connected in series with three 16-inch DC fans.  When it is sunny, it is pushing well over 6000 CFM.

Riles

How 'bout a picture of the side you load from?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Quebecnewf

Very nice pic. I built a kiln the same as yours only smaller. I just use one fan and a small solar panel. I dry one load a year (i could do two i'm sure). I dry mostly birch but i'm sure it would work as well on any hardwood. Mine to needs to be painted. Maybe next year

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!