iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber framing tools from the blacksmith shop.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 02, 2007, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Now that I have figured out picture posting, here is a photo of some of the timber framing tools I have been making. Jim Rogers and I were talking about hook pins a couple of months ago, and I wanted to show one of the designs I have been making. The pins are next to the engineers scale, there are some beam hooks in the middle, and a log dog on the left. The log dog is used with a crowbar, or long hardwood pole to turn logs.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maineframer

Dave,

I guess I followed you over to this forum.  I like the hooks and rings. I like to pick iron implements like these up as well when I see them. I am involved in a blacksmith shop project for the Historical Society in my town. We plan to raise a 16x20' shop with a King post roof system. Do you have your own forge?

David
David

Dave Shepard

David, no, I don't yet. I volunteer at Hancock Shaker Village, and this is where I do all of my smithing. I am going to set up a forge, hopefull next summer. I have to get it moved home first:

And a side view:

It is a 16'x20' three bent frame with a loft. It is in need of a bunch of work, but I think it deserves to be saved. If I had waited another hour to call, it would have been in a dumpster by now. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maineframer

Dave,

That is a nice looking out building perfect size! I would like to see more of it as it (you) progress. The project I am involved in will have a masonry forge constructed from used bricks which were donated. Good luck ;D
David

Jayson

Nice work Dave. Nothing quite like handcrafted and functional! And that building, nice save. Maybe another post dedicated to it would be cool. Those little guys so often are lost. Good luck on the move.
    Your hook pins are nice items. I have seen a few come out of some barns in Ohio many of them perfectly functional. Always bunches of fun pulling those hunks of steel out of a timber (haha). Thanks for the pics.               
Jayson

Thank You Sponsors!