iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

laguna tools timbermaster

Started by Greg, March 02, 2007, 11:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Anyone seen this before? Or have one?

http://www.lagunatools.com/timbermaster.htm

Seems like if you've already got a large bandsaw, and have some worthwhile small diameter logs you'd like to not just turn into firewood, the table/sled would allow you to mill yourself up some high quality lumber, for about 1/2 the price of a beginner mill like the LT10.

I couldn't completely tell from the link, but I'd guess this would work with any make of bandsaw. Either way, I stumbled on this yesterday while I was looking into their Circle Master bowl blank cutting jig. I had never heard or seen such a bandsaw accessory like this from any vendor.

Thanks,
Greg

Larry

Here is a almost new one ya might get cheap.

Long eBay linky

The idea has been around for years...Fine Woodworking had plans on how to make one maybe 10 15 years ago.  When I lived in Hawaii we used one with a Tannewitz to saw koa and monkeypod.  Can't remember if it was shop or factory made...to many years ago.  In any case it worked quite well and that old Tannewitz could saw a flitch before you could saw 6" with some of these small bandmills.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bob_T

Greg,

I've never seen one either.  I've got a pile of some small mountain mahogany logs and I also have an old 20" Powermatic bandsaw.  It also would be good practice for me to build one of those track setups before starting on a "real" bandmill project.

Larry, I searched the Fine Woodworking site for that article but couldn't find it.  I don't suppose you have the month and year at your fingertips? (ha).  It looks simple enough that I can probably build it OK without needing any steenking plans.  It looks like the log stops or dogs screw right on to the logs.

Bob
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Larry

Issue 27 page 86. :)  The article was also reprinted in Fine WoodWorking on Woodworking Machines.  The article name is A Bandsaw Sawmill by Lawrence Westlund.

Having told you all that the article isn't much...one paragraph, few drawings, and the design is for a 12" Craftsman if that tells ya anything.

You have the right idea Bob...just some dogs like on a circle mill mounted on a sled.  Not real complicated.

By chance is your Powermatic one of the coveted and much admired model 81's? :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bob_T

Larry,

Yeah, the Powermatic is a model 81.  I got it from a guy who bid a few hundred bucks on a whole high school woodshop full of tools and won.   I got it home and immediately put new tires on it and took the guides apart to clean them up, and there it has sat for 2 or 3  years now.  I should get it running.  I also have an old 24" Porter planer that doesn't work and my prize possession is an old shipbuilder's lathe, the kind that uses long wooden beams for a bed.  It doesn't work either.  Maybe I'm the king of "stationary" tools.

Thanks for the Fine Woodworking magazine issue  number - I appreciate it and may even have it around here somewhere.

Bob
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Thank You Sponsors!