iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding work

Started by linn, March 01, 2007, 07:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linn

I want to start a small sawmilling operation. But want to do so cutting ties
or timbers. Can someone out there get me going in the right direction. I'm out here in Oregon.

Bibbyman

I thought this would be an easy question to answer.  I've found that there is no end to work.  The trick is being able to do work you actually enjoy and can make a living at.

That aside,  I can't offer you any direct help in the tie business in Oregon.  But what you may try is locating your local forestry agent and lay out what you want to do.  He should be able to provide you with contacts for markets and sources for logs, etc.

If that fails,  drive around until you see a sawmill with stacks of ties on their yard.  Stop in and introduce yourself and ask if they can share some connections with you.

And if that fails,  start following truck loaded with ties.  They're taking them someplace.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

Look for trucks stopped at fuel stops or service stations loaded with ties. My first lead to sell ties was this way, saw a guy getting fuel, talked to him, went to the tie yard, made a deal to deliver ties. Or a Bibby says, follow them to the yard.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Cedarman

I've never met a truck driver that didn't love to talk.  They are probably the best spy network this country has.  So you shouldn't have any trouble finding your info if you can find ties on a truck.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ARKANSAWYER

Try KOPPERS at www.koppers.comĀ  also KERR-McGEE at www.kerr-mcgee.com

You can contact The Railway Tie Association at (770) 460-5553 or www.rta.org to get a member lising for Region 6 which is where you are.

ARKANSAWYER

TexasTimbers

That's excactly how I met our "regional mulcher". The truck driver had been hauling their skidder and had been pulled over by DOT . . . . I stopped and talked to the driver and got a business card ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!