iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 180C or 200 ?

Started by sprucebunny, February 28, 2007, 07:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

My two MS180Cs have endured alot of abuse. I use a wider bar and chain than stock and cut mostly 3"-4" culls.
Both saws are down now ::) One because it won't oil and one just won't start.

The Stihl 200 comes with the same size bar and chain as I'm using and is supposed to have a better motor, frame and oiler. It weighs about the same. The rear handle doen't look like it's attached all that sturdy and I break alot of stuff ::)

I'm wondering if a 200 is really worth paying 2 and a half time$ as much for ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

The MS200 is the hands down favourite of the arborists here. It is light, fast and a lot more durable than the hobbyist's MS180C. Two entirely different saws. Do you use the small saw enough to justify the extra cost?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed

The ms200t is pretty much the industry standard for an Arborists saw. I can't imagine Stihl compromising any on the tail handle version ms200. My dad has 2 of the older 020 tail handle saws that have been little workhorses throughout the last 25 years.
I haven't actually held the new version, but on the old version the handle design appears less sturdy than the new ones. We have never had any issues with the older version.
If you want a small saw that with a reasonable ammount of tlc will last you a lifetime, buy the ms200.
Stihl is also coming out with a tail handle version of the ms192t this year, it's a cheaper saw, less powerfull than a ms200 but still a "pro" saw.
In a moment of weakness last month, I couldn't help feeling the ms200t on the dealer's shelf looked a little lonely, so it followed me home.  ;D

Ed

Bernhard

It is worth the extra $$. The MS 200 is playing in another league then the MS 180.
Stihl has added it to their profi line of saws, where the 180 is a Hobbysaw.
We run a landscaping service and do felling , too. A 018 is our máin saw for working in trees or for smaller use, never any complains about it. Infact we run 024, 028, 044 and 046 too, but the 018 has it´s place in our toolbox.

sprucebunny

Thanks !

I run a chainsaw about 10 hours a week , on average. I take one with me everywhere because the access roads to my land go through 'rubberwood' country and I prefer to take back roads that occaisionally have big trees fall down on them. Yesterday I went up to my land with no saw and felt naked !!! ...Like I'd forgotten to put pants on :D :D

It won't be easy to fork out that much money for something so small but I guess I should get serious...

Kevin

They have recently been having mega carb problems with the 200.
An Echo might be worth looking at, 5 yr. Consumer Warranty

PB Logging

I'm not a dealer, etc just a consumer.  Hope you will consider a Husqy.  ran stihls alot of years.  there is a huge o mungous difference int he 19t and the 20t or whatever the name is this week.

sawguy21

We have sold a lot of the MS200T's and have not seen many of the carb problems that Kevin mentions. The Husky arborist  saws have not been successful for us, too many carb and oiling problems, so we no longer stock them. The larger Huskys are very good and are my preference.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin

sawguy, the saws are running leaning due to venting problems and there are carb boot problems as well.
I have a 335 and it's not that great.
The air filter plugs up quickly .
The 338 might be different but I doubt it.
These saws aren't worth the money compared to a rear handled saw.

jokers

Quote from: PB Logging on March 02, 2007, 09:29:47 PM
...........there is a huge o mungous difference int he 19t and the 20t or whatever the name is this week.
I consider that an understatement!  :D

sprucebunny

Well.... let's see..... The Echo CS-346 is no longer in production ( according to the dealer ) The small Huskys weigh 20% more than thier competition and I'm mad at the Stihl dealer who after 8 days still hadn't looked at my saws !!

I bought a Dolmar PS-401. Got it home ,freed the chain ::) put gas and oil in it and it won't start !! ::) It REALLY won't start. Got my money back. Got my Stihls back. Got both of them running. Neither of them seem to put out much oil.
A kid at the Stihl dealer (not the usual guy ) can't even find me a diagram of the oiling mechanism.

At this point I guess I'll just run these till I fry another bar and get another 180C. I've got spare parts unless the oiler goes on all of them ::) :D

Ed

It sounds like you have had a rough time, but at least you have got your saws back.
You might try using the "winter" bar oil in the saws if you don't already. The 30 weight can be really hard on a small saw oiling system in the winter time.

Ed

sprucebunny

Thanks, Ed.

Yup, I run the winter oil. Still seems pretty thick ???

Rick Alger

Hey Joan,

I don't know anything about those saws, but I can suggest an excellent mechanic. Dan Baillargeon is his name. His shop is on rte 26 in Errol headed toward Colebrook about a mile out of town on the right. 

He generally fixes your saw while you wait.

French is his preferred language, but usually his wife is available to translate if you dont speak French.

Rick

sprucebunny

:D :D :D

I still don't know any French, Rick :D

Thanks for the recomendation !

One of my beefs is that the labor rate is so high, that it's not worth fixing small saws. For another $50 more than the repair, you can get a new one.

Guess I'm just going to learn how to fix these saws myself.
.... Probably before I figure out French :D

leweee

Joan...just get the French service manual and you can do both. ::) :D
          seriously with the manuals & a small investment in the proper tools
you can do the basics. :P You will still have to go for parts, but the Labour rate will be the right price. :)

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SawTroll

Quote from: Special Ed on March 09, 2007, 08:13:28 AM
It sounds like you have had a rough time, but at least you have got your saws back.
You might try using the "winter" bar oil in the saws if you don't already. The 30 weight can be really hard on a small saw oiling system in the winter time.

Ed
Quote from: sprucebunny on March 09, 2007, 08:23:04 AM
Thanks, Ed.

Yup, I run the winter oil. Still seems pretty thick ???

Veggie bar oil may help, I could back off the oilers of my saws, when using Husky Veg-Oil for the first time, a couple of years ago......
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!