iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

portable capstan winches

Started by Rick Alger, February 27, 2007, 07:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Alger

I'm trying to get an idea of what one of those winches will do in spruce/fir and whether it will help production with my horses.

So would any of you folks using a capstan please answer me dis : How many 33' logs with 6" tops could you skid 60' in an hour on average terrain with minimal underbrush?

Kevin

I'll take a wild guess at one log at fifteen minutes including set up.
About four per hour, at best.

LedlieLogs

Hey Rick I agree with Kevin at about four per hour. How much do you think the tree weighs?
You might be able to pull two at a time to get eight an hour. I don't own a capstan, I went with the Lewis so my knowledge is limited at best. Sure would like to see the horses work though. I bet it is a beautiful site.
Happy and safe logging to you my friend.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

logwalker

Is there a different setup for each log or are there several in on location? If they are all spread out the 4 an hour would be close. I think the horses and a snatch block would be faster and easier on you. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jokers

Quote from: LedlieLogs on February 27, 2007, 10:02:31 AM
I don't own a capstan, I went with the Lewis so my knowledge is limited at best.
Have you used your Lewis winch very much? How is it holding up? I`ve thought for years that it would be a handy tool to have but I just haven`t developed the confidence that they are anything more than occassional use tool. I have no first hand experience with them and know of noone in this area who has one so I`m left to speculation.

Rick Alger

Thanks for the input. You saved me some money.

Joe is right. The horses and a snatch block can  indeed pull a good deal more than the four logs an hour  you guys figured for the winch.

I thought the winch would be  faster, but I just went back and  read the literature a second time and  realized that the line speed was expressed in feet per minute not feet per second.

"Line speed" for a horse is about 350 feet per minute.

Thanks again,

Rick

LedlieLogs

Jokers,
I bought my Lewis about six months ago and only have about forty pulls on it. I don't know how it will hold up on the long run. For now everything is great in Lewis land. If I have trouble with it this will be the first place I would be asking for help. For what little use it has, I do like it very much. It has pulled almost everything I have asked it to. I did lock it down the other day loading 16 foot sticks about  22 inches in diameter. One stick got pinched between the side rail and another stick. Had to get the cant hook out and get things moved around. Used it this afternoon to pull my son's girlfriend's car onto the trailer for a ride to the fix it shop. My house of course. Once your friends know you have it, they need all kinds of things pulled.
On several occasions I have used about 120 feet of cable on tree pulls and been very pleased. It comes with 150 foot of cable. I cut 20 feet off to make cable management on the drum easier, never had a problem there but you must be careful with that.
Good Luck,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Thank You Sponsors!