iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Frame I'm Workin' on -- New Member Introduction

Started by mudburn, February 26, 2007, 11:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Congratulations!   8)  That looks like some serious progress.

-Thomas

mudburn

Wow! It's been a great couple of days! But, I can say that the frame is raised!!  8) smiley_clapping smiley_turkey_dancing

After getting the main part of the frame up yesterday, we worked today with the intention of getting the rafters and their associated timbers raised today. We finished the second-floor floor joists and installed them. Then we assembled and raised the rafter sets on top. Here's what it looks like now:

I'm going to work on getting the purlins and first-floor floor joists in by the weekend.

Darryl

Oh yeah, the thing in the middle of the house is the gin pole. It worked well for raising each bent yesterday and the inside rafter sets today. I'll be removing it after it is no longer needed (soon).
Blogging my house project at Cedar Ridge Farm.

Don P

Woo-Hoo, Awesome  8) 8)
Y'all oughta be proud, I was feelin good about a little tin we got up, that's one productive weekend!

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Darryl,

That looks super nice.  I can't believe how fast you are moving!
Looks like you have that gin-pole-thingamabob all figured out.   ;)

-Thomas

PS. Can you drop me an email?  I tried your old address but it has bounced.

mudburn

I achieved my goal of having all the purlins and floor joists in by Friday!  8)

So, the frame is complete! It's been quite a week. We started raising at 8:30am on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2007, and we put in the last floor joist and pegged the last brace at 12:30pm on Friday, Sept. 7, 2007. It was a lot of work, but here's what it looks like now:

It's incredible to see my first timber frame standing there after about two and a half years of work on the frame (not continuous work). It all went together quite well, with a few slight errors in the joinery (nothing major). The posts and beams are 8x8s, the girts and rafters are 6x8s, and the purlins and floor joists are 4x6. It's all oak except for three cedar girts, an elm girt, and a sweet gum beam in the middle of the house (it looks nice). The dimensions are 26' x 36'. There is 9' from the first floor to the bottom of the second floor beams. The pitch on the front of the house is 8:12 and 3:12 on the back. The middle bay is open to the rafters/purlins. The posts sit on 12" concrete piers with 6" to the bottom of the first floor beams. I put aluminum siding pieces under the posts as a moisture barrier. Although I haven't done it yet (I will this week), the posts will be securely connected to anchors in the piers.

I'll keep you updated on my continued work on the house. I'm planning on putting the straw bales up in the spring (it will have a straw bale wrap). I have a lot to do before then.

Darryl
Blogging my house project at Cedar Ridge Farm.

DWM II

Congratulations Darryl, I'm watching your project with alot of interest, it looks great. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

nativewolf

Just stumbled on the old thread and tracked down his updates on his Blog and wanted to update, the home is finished and man it looks great, after many years, no debt, and lots of labor he got it done!  FYI, they moved in September of this year.

Congrats!
Liking Walnut

fishfighter

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!