TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: The Frame I'm Workin' on -- New Member Introduction  (Read 12401 times)

Offline Thomas-in-Kentucky

• Full Member x2
  • do something
    • Building a Timberframe Home from Scratch
Re: The Frame I'm Workin' on -- New Member Introduction
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 09:05:56 pm »
Holy cow!  You've been busy.  Your first bent looks awesome!

I like your idea to wait on the rafters.  Once you get two or three bents up, you could drop in some floor joists and build a deck up there to work the rafters from.

I've never used a gin pole before, but however you decide to raise it, when you get that thing vertical, kick it off umpteen different ways with some 2x4's and nails!  In other words, once you've got it up, don't let it come back down.  It looks too nice!  You should have seen all the ropes and 2x4's and tackle I had holding my first bent up.  You'll never know if you have too much bracing, but you'll know if you don't!   :o

Just a thought... you might be able to use a backhoe to raise those bents.  Whichever way you do it, keep in mind that the bents really want to fold up like tacos until they get vertical, so be sure to brace the heck out of it, or follow through with your idea of building a lifting frame.  That seems mighty clever.

Good luck.

-Thomas

Offline mudburn

• There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 06:23:35 pm »
Even in the heat we've been having (100 today), I'm continuing putting things together. Just over three weeks to raising day.

We've gotten three of the four bents assembled. We finished Bent 2 today. I forgot the camera, so no pics of that. But, I had the camera when we put together Bent 3 last week. Here are some photos:

As we were fitting up the rafters for Bent 3, an error I made came to light. I kind of don't like mistakes, but they happen. My roof has two different pitches (8:12 and 3:12) that meet at the peak. Well, I miscalculated the angle for the intersection on the longer of the two rafters, leaving a gap.

Maybe more than you really want to see. I'll cut some wedges to fit in the gaps. A positive thing is that the collar tie fits nicely on both ends! There've been a couple other mistakes involving brace mortises -- one was 1.5" too close and another was 1.5" too far out. I was able to rectify those situations relatively easily.

I'll keep ya'll updated!

dp
Blogging my house project at Cedar Ridge Farm.

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 07:01:03 pm »
What happens if you adjust the rafter bottom to the angle on the post? It'll swing down a little, opening some at the top and probably come up some shade short. I dunno just a guess from someone who has done way worse things  :)

Offline mudburn

• There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57:39 pm »
Apart from the gap, the pitch and measurements are correct. So, if I just fill in the gap with wedges, everything else will be where it's supposed to be. Even though I wasn't happy with the error, it will work alright. And, it could've been worse, I know. If the error had been based off of a measurement on the other side of the rafter, it would've been fixable. As it is, the rafter is still the right length with the gap.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I appreciate your help. You wanna come help raise it?  :)

dp

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:34 pm »
Nice blog also by the way DP.

Hey I had  the same idea of using that portable metal bandsaw for cutting  birdmouths and stuff.  How well is that working?..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Offline mudburn

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 09:53:55 pm »
jpgreen,

Thanks for the compliment on my blog!

You asked about the portable band saw and how that's working. Well, I just started using it in earnest today on floor joist dovetail tenons and a curve from the tenon onto the joist itself. It's working pretty well. I don't know how I would cut the arc on the joist otherwise. It also allows me to cut the dovetail pretty well. It takes some getting used to in order to hold it level and to cut straight on the lines. I'm cutting my dovetail tenons a little smaller than the mortises and will use wedges to tighten them up (an idea I gleaned from Thomas-in-Kentucky).

It would be nice if the portable band saw would work for birdsmouths and stuff. There is one problem though -- almost all of them have a throat width of about 4", unless you want to spend a lot more money for a special one with a wider throat. I'm working with 4x6s, so the throat on the saw is fine for that. It wouldn't work on any of my 8x8s or 6x8s for sure.

We also got the last bent assembled yesterday. We hauled the 12' 4x6s up to the shop from the barn and started cutting the dovetail tenons today. We got 17 done -- only cutting the tenon on one end. There are 59 floor joists and 37 purlins to be cut in all.

Only 2.5 weeks until raising day!   8)

dp

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2007, 12:05:47 am »
 ??? :)

Offline mudburn

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2007, 10:44:52 pm »
Well, the first day of the raising is over, and things went quite well. I didn't know how long it would take to get the entire frame up. We didn't get the entire frame up, but we get the main part of it erected. We'll work on getting the rafters assembled and raised tomorrow.

Here are a couple of pictures. I'll have more later after tomorrow when I have time.

It's really something to see it standing there!

dp

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2007, 08:39:17 am »
 8) 8) 8)
All right, that's looking good. Play safe up there, it really slows down when I leave the ground.

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2007, 09:28:16 am »
Outstanding..  8) 8) 8) :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2007, 09:54:04 pm »
Congratulations!   8)  That looks like some serious progress.

-Thomas

Offline mudburn

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2007, 11:08:59 pm »
Wow! It's been a great couple of days! But, I can say that the frame is raised!!  8) smiley_clapping smiley_turkey_dancing

After getting the main part of the frame up yesterday, we worked today with the intention of getting the rafters and their associated timbers raised today. We finished the second-floor floor joists and installed them. Then we assembled and raised the rafter sets on top. Here's what it looks like now:

I'm going to work on getting the purlins and first-floor floor joists in by the weekend.

Darryl

Oh yeah, the thing in the middle of the house is the gin pole. It worked well for raising each bent yesterday and the inside rafter sets today. I'll be removing it after it is no longer needed (soon).

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2007, 12:18:18 am »
Woo-Hoo, Awesome  8) 8)
Y'all oughta be proud, I was feelin good about a little tin we got up, that's one productive weekend!

• Full Member x2
  • do something
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2007, 08:21:37 am »
Darryl,

That looks super nice.  I can't believe how fast you are moving!
Looks like you have that gin-pole-thingamabob all figured out.   ;)

-Thomas

PS. Can you drop me an email?  I tried your old address but it has bounced.

Offline mudburn

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2007, 08:54:38 pm »
I achieved my goal of having all the purlins and floor joists in by Friday!  8)

So, the frame is complete! It's been quite a week. We started raising at 8:30am on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2007, and we put in the last floor joist and pegged the last brace at 12:30pm on Friday, Sept. 7, 2007. It was a lot of work, but here's what it looks like now:

It's incredible to see my first timber frame standing there after about two and a half years of work on the frame (not continuous work). It all went together quite well, with a few slight errors in the joinery (nothing major). The posts and beams are 8x8s, the girts and rafters are 6x8s, and the purlins and floor joists are 4x6. It's all oak except for three cedar girts, an elm girt, and a sweet gum beam in the middle of the house (it looks nice). The dimensions are 26' x 36'. There is 9' from the first floor to the bottom of the second floor beams. The pitch on the front of the house is 8:12 and 3:12 on the back. The middle bay is open to the rafters/purlins. The posts sit on 12" concrete piers with 6" to the bottom of the first floor beams. I put aluminum siding pieces under the posts as a moisture barrier. Although I haven't done it yet (I will this week), the posts will be securely connected to anchors in the piers.

I'll keep you updated on my continued work on the house. I'm planning on putting the straw bales up in the spring (it will have a straw bale wrap). I have a lot to do before then.

Darryl

Offline DWM II

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 06:58:54 am »
Congratulations Darryl, I'm watching your project with alot of interest, it looks great. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2016, 08:46:19 pm »
Just stumbled on the old thread and tracked down his updates on his Blog and wanted to update, the home is finished and man it looks great, after many years, no debt, and lots of labor he got it done!  FYI, they moved in September of this year.

Congrats!

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2016, 08:05:35 am »
Just read thru this thread. Really enjoyed it.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »
The blog has a great write up, not many folks stay with it 10 years. 

http://cedar-ridge-farm.blogspot.com/