iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STICKY THROTTLE PLATE

Started by SAW MILLER, February 26, 2007, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

I have been having trouble off and on with my WM 28 horse Kohler.The rpms may be way high or I have low rpms and no power.I discovered after lots of head scratching that the throttle is sticking.I sprayed some wd40 on the throttle shaft and it quite acting up so I sprayed carb cleaner around the shaft and it stuck again.So I shot some oil around the shaft and it freed up again.The mill only has 400 hours on it.What is causing this and how can I fix it?Have any of ya'll had this problem?Any tips will be appreciated.
                                           Ron
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Chris Burchfield

Had a Ford Ranger w/the throttle not returning to idle. Used Carb. cleaner only, real good while son pumped the accelerator with the engine off. Let dry and that was that. WD40 is not that good a penetrant. It was actually created to displace water, thus WD. 40 was the batch that did best what they were trying to achieve. I would not use oil as oil attracts dust. As a penetrant I prefer PB Blaster. I've used it on some seriously siezed nuts and bolts, I'm talking 40+years of rust type stuff. Just my nickle's worth.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Furby

beenthere

Ya beat me to it Furby.  Just had a similar problem, and the Rust Reaper came to the rescue.
To me, that's worth mor'n a nickel too  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawdust

I poked around their site, likely missed it, do they ship north of the 49 parallel? Or does USPS/Canada Post object. Is there maybe a Canuckistan distrubitor?

I have a mind like a steel trap,,,rusted shut.
Need help.

sawdust.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SAW MILLER

I thought about rust reaper but don't think the problem is really rust.Does the reaper contain a lubricant? ???

Furby

Corley5

I use it on drive chains and have even used it to lubricate ignition points  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

MartyParsons

See if you can find out which part is sticking. I can get you the part or a Kohler dealer can replace it for you. Somtimes oil will make maters worse if it attracts sawdust. A dry lube works best. Some of the new equipment G28 seems to stick but usually frees up after the first 10 min or so. WM also sprays a rust inhibitor on the mills WD should take this off. usually it does not make it on the engine but you never know? It should be under warranty!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

SAW MILLER

Thanks Marty.The next time it sticks I will remove the linkage from the throttle plate to asertain that it is the throttle plate shaft.The mill is 16 months old but I read in the warranty that the throttle body is covered two years.I know when I sprayed carb cleaner on it it really stuck.

Kevin_H.

Saw Miller, I have the same problem with my 28 hp kohler, about once a week I have to spray some WD onto the throttle plate. It's on my weekly todo list now.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

SAW MILLER

Well all righty then Kevin...I figgered some one else woulda had the same problem.I saw from your old posts that  yer engine is just a couple years old.Mine ran good all day..no problem 8)

Nate Surveyor

I'm havin the same problem with my Honda 24. It seems to me to be related to the sticky sap blowing around in the sawdust. I'll be spraying it with silicone spray, and whatever else is handy...

:D :D
I know less than I used to.

Thank You Sponsors!