iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saw's

Started by Pete50, February 25, 2007, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete50

Hello again,
In our OHSA there is nothing in there that refers to PPE for pole saw's. I would assume that you would wear the same PPE as running a chainsaw? Some think that as it has the same design as a thinning saw,you would only have to wear the same PPE as for a thinning saw.
I feel that as it has a chain then it should be treated as a chainsaw. Any thoughts on this? Maybe this topic has already been discussed?

beenthere

Pete
I wear a hard hat (overhead things can drop on da head), safety glasses, and chaps (limbs have a way of bouncing back at ya when they drop to da ground).
Other than that, not sure what is behind the question  ::)  I don't wear any of it because OSHA says to. It's because I want to protect my body.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

You can check with these people
communications@whscc.nb.ca

A safe bet if in doubt is to follow manufacturer recommendations
husqvarna

Pete50

Quote from: beenthere on February 25, 2007, 08:05:29 PM
Pete
I wear a hard hat (overhead things can drop on da head), safety glasses, and chaps (limbs have a way of bouncing back at ya when they drop to da ground).
Other than that, not sure what is behind the question  ::)  I don't wear any of it because OSHA says to. It's because I want to protect my body.   :)

Should have made myself clearer...sorry. In our business we cut bushes, tree's/limbs on the roadside. We follow the guide lines of the OHSA to ensure that we have the proper equipment.
With the chainsaw it's the helmet combo, chainsaw pants/boots/gloves. With the thinning saw it is the helmet combo, safety boots, gloves.
With the pole saw there is nothing in the act that specifys PPE. I was curious if the chainsaw pants would be required. I agree that no matter what the OHSA said, I would want full protection, but sometimes on small jobs our guy's will not suit up properly. With the pole saw, mainly it would be small job's.
QuoteYou can check with these people
communications@whscc.nb.ca

I called the compliance officer for my area, left a message explaining what I wanted and he never returned my call.

QuoteA safe bet if in doubt is to follow manufacturer recommendations
husqvarna

This is what I was looking for, seems to be the same guide lines as a thinning saw. Thanks!

Don_Papenburg

Been there ,  I think that as you are looking up cutting and branches are falling and then bouncing back up I would want a cup for the utmost protection  ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

rebocardo

I would say the combo hat (face shield, ear muffs, hard hat) and gloves at a min. Muffs keep the sawdust out of the ears.

Using the pole saw is where you really need better eye protection beyond the face shield because when you have your head tilted up a lot of small stuff can blow back into your eye.

Bug Eye type goggles might be in order since something in the eye can bring work to a halt and it can be tough to remove wood figers from an eye if you are hot, hands are shaking, and have no mirror.

Thank You Sponsors!