iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a new digital camera

Started by isawlogs, February 25, 2007, 08:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have a dead canon S1 IS camera ... I thought this was one of the best cameras around , had 10X optical zomm , image stabilizer ... 3.2 mega pixels ...  was easy to use ... point and shoot ....
  Well it has a E18 showing up in the screen and when this happens, its as good as dead . >:(

So .. I want another camera ,  smiley_thumbsup_grin

• Needs to be good
  • Needs to be cheap
  • Dont need to be new
  • Would like to have as much optical X's as possible
  • Mega pixels is not a big priority for me
  • Can be from anywhere in the world ... but not from Canon

Now if any of you have something that is collecting dust and want to sell it ( remember second line above  ;D )
  Or if any of you have some thing to recomend (remember the last line above   ;D ) Please let me know ... 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raphael

Our ancient Kodak isn't what you're looking for, only 2x optical, fixed focus and 1.4mega pixels (sort of the instamatic of digital cameras).  It's seen plenty of use/abuse and keeps on going so I'd say look at getting a Kodak product.  I can't offer a specific model number as last time we researched cameras we wound up with the forbidden brand...
  No E18 yet...  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

DanG

I'm still happy with my Dimage Z10, and I can attest to its durability.  When Brdmkr and I were disassembling that large pecan tree at my place, I dropped the camera while operating the tractor and it landed on the transmission housing.  It went dead, but came back to life next time I tried it.  Another time, I was taking pics of my sawmill in action, while sawing alone.  I had to set the camera down right quick to recieve the 4x4 the mill was handing to me, and ended up dropping the 4x4 on the camera.  It warped the case a bit, but the camera still works fine.

Corley5, who is busy shepherding a 5 year-old through the Florida tourist traps, bought one just like mine on Ebay.  His was "factory reconditioned" and cost about half what I paid for mine.  He told me last weekend that he is still happy, too.

The Z10 has 8x optical zoom.  There is another Dimage that has 10x optics.  I think its called the Z1.  They're made by Konika-Minolta.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

I have a Kodak C340 that I am happy with for the most part. My only complaint is the rotary switch, it is always ON when I take the camera out of my pocket. I wish it was a bit more recessed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Radar67

I think this is pretty good camera for the money. The Panasonic 6 MP Lumix DMC-FZ7k Digital Camera with 12x Optical Zoom, it lists for $269 at Wally World. It may be more than you want to spend. I would always recommend a rechargable Lithium-ion battery in digital cameras as they eat AA batteries like candy.

Of course I prefer the Sony cameras in digital, but to get the good features, you need to spend upwards of $500 to $800. My current is a Sony DSC F707 with the Carl Ziess lens.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Furby

I bought a cheap Kodak on black Friday to replace my 3 year old Fuji also bought on black Friday.
I have NOT been happy with the 5 meg Kodak. Poor design, lack of simple features.
I really liked the way the 3.2 meg fuji operated and if it was still in full working order, I'd be using it instead of the Kodak.
I may be upgrading to a digital SLR to replace my 35mm SLR, before the end of the year........ if I can find the $$$. ::)

SPIKER

We recently upped to the new camera I took pics using recently it is 10x the camera the old HP camera was.

it is a SAMSUNG DIGI-MAX 700 and the battery life is awsome compared to the old HP camera and the pic quality is again 10 time that of the old HP photosmart 935 we had!  it was a 149 bucks and is 7.2 megpix only a 2x optical with a 6x digital 12x total zoom.  the HP was 349 new 2 yrs ago and was nothing but problems.  sold it on ebay 41 bucks with a dock and all the parts manuals cd ect just this past week, put it in the mail friday.   it had problems and would loose it's mind as well as it's pic.   it did this prior to the warranty being UP and HP drug there feet for over 2 months and then said it was OUT OF WARRANTY and that they would give us 20 dollars off a NEW HP camera!  only HP device that I will ever use again is the printers.  the HP PC we bought hasn't been very good either...

my SAMSUNG phone has gone through the washing machine came out shinny and new still fully functional, (after 4 years use no less) it has dropped into the creek 2 times into the toilet 2 times, was pulled from the washing machine prior to the rinse cycle and has falled off my side 100's of times several times fallen more than 10' high and down steps...  it still works and works well.  SO i bought the samsung camera.  so far (3~4 months and 300+ pics) it has worked like a top.  only changed batteries 2 times. (rechargeable)   

Needless to say I can say I like the samsung not only pic quality but pic speed.  it has ISO1000 2.5" lcd 5.8~17.4mm zoom movie sound mist stuff I haven't tried, (black & white which I used accidently and though something was messed up lol)

hope that helps

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

wesdor

Our daughter bought a Casio Exilim last summer.  She was looking for something that wasn't very big and she could take with her anywhere.  I just checked with her and it is a 7.2 mp and 3X zoom.  Cost was a little over $200, so that probably doesn't fit into your cheap category.

She has used it a great deal since July and reports very good results and wear. 

beenthere

I'm happy with the new $100 Kodak C643 from Office Depot ($140 before $40 rebate). Have found a way around the Kodak EasyShare software that wants to take over the computer, so working with the pics is back to normal routine.
Has onboard memory as well as a memory card. Guess until it stops working, then it is a great camera.  ::)  If it had a remote on it, I'd like it better. But has a good timer feature to set and then get into the picture. Has video as well.

Kodak C643
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

I bought the Fujifilm FinePix S5200 with 10X optical zoom about 3 years ago.  The Cannon with image stabilization was in the running but more money than I wanted to spend.  To take full advantage of the 10X lens the IS is needed...or a tripod.  The Fuji has been an excellent camera and exceptionally easy on batteries.  It does have one fault that may be common to a lot of em with the high power lens...you can't focus real close on small objects when in the macro mode.  We sell a lot on eBay and with all pictures taken in the macro mode it is irritating.  Like you Marcel, the pixel count doesn't impress me but quality glass does mean something.   Most of the pics in my gallery were taken with this camera if ya wanta check out the quality.

Good software is as important as the camera...maybe even more so.  Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro would be good places to start looking.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Still using my 7 year old HP 618, only 2.11 MP, 3X optical zoom. I have telephoto 2x, wide angle, 10x, 7x closeup lenses, Polarizer and UV protected lens. I won't give it up until it dies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill

Not being one to gamble - when it comes to cameras I pretty much stick to the camera makers - like pentax, olympus, nikon (and I think their new owner fuji) , canon ( oops scratch them ), kodak, and lately throw in sony or maybe hp. Minolta also had an Ok rep but was swallowed by someone. The other camera companies seem to be electronic companies breaking into cameras so I pretty much would stay away from them till they prove themselves.

That said even the big guys farm out entry level cameras to China so maybe there's no cheap good cameras to be had. Which would be another good reason to check out a well made but used one.

Work got me one of the new 2.5MP Olympus SLR's when it first came out and it produced good pic's up to 8X10 and I hear tell that with 5MP you could do magazine covers. If it were me I'd try to pic a camera with a good reputation for a quality build from one of the traditional companies and something better than 3.2MP ( the s1 is' pic's were 3.2 as I recall ) maybe one of the better local or online shops used depts might have something they'd give a small warranty on.

Good Luck

DWM II

My wife earns a living with Fuji equipment, Fuji uses Nikon mounts on there slr camer frames. Thats a big bonus being able to use nikon lenses and accesories. We the nikon, s6 is really nice but maybe over priced but has some great features, my favorite it the large lcd display on back, it takes up the whole frame.
Stewardship Counts!

SPIKER

I forgot to mention that I had gotten a CASIO camera from my old shop, it had movie mode really good SLR lens was good on batteries, (but had a pour battery cover/latch)   It still takes great pics but ya have to hold the battery cover closed with tape. :(   It may be due to a drop?  it has a rotate-able lens which was an excellent feature.  it was 500 new back 5 years or so...  only something like 1.2megpix.  only built in memory too back then but it would take a good # of fine photos before filling up.

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

My brother had to return a Kodak that had a bad battery latch, Staples gave him the next model up on exchange. Takes movies as well as photos. I can't recall the model or MP's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

beenthere

Want cheap?  I saw a Kodak digital under Office Depot online for under $11. Stated it could be used as a webcam too. Think it only has onboard memory, but plugs to a computer via USB cable.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

My sister has one like that........ don't bother. ;)

isawlogs

Hey , thanks a lot guys , I am looking at all the options you are putting forth ...

I did say cheap ... lets rephrase that to ...  reasomable .  :D :D :D

I am looking at a few on Ebay .. But I do have a back -up , only need to go and get it... Its at my daughters ..
   One I am looking at is this one   Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1  or one like it
Anybody have one .....
  I might have something interesting to do on Monday and Tuesday ...  going to need camera then for sure if this pulls through . If it does , you all will be on first to know ...  ;D ;) 

Keep me looking at cameras ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Quartlow

It's not dead yet!!!!
The E18 error happens when the lens gets stuck while trying to extend.
BIL fixed his.

Google search for the e18 error

Worst you could do is break it right? and it isn't any good the way it is. Try and fix it
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

asy

Marcel, as I said to you the other day, you'll be happy with anything with 'Panasonic Lumix' written on it. Easy to use, very good quality, great zoom and very nice lenses for what they are.

Go with the FZ1. If you get it fantastic. If not see if you can find an FZ5 around...

Furby, when you come to getting your DSLR talk to me, I'll tellya all about my magic 400D, it's so gorgeous :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

isawlogs

Dis has nutin to do with any answer to this post

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thank you......

Just been talking to Canon ..... man where do they get these idiots ... They just called back to confirm that I have a camera that is not under waranty ....  Duh  I new that ... I asked how much to get it fixed ... I cant be the first to have it fixed .....
   Dats when it went down hill .......
  Dey cant tell me how much cause dey dont know whats wrong ..... Ya right ..
   Got to bring the dam thing in and get an estamite , I have no problem with that ... how much .....  ya got to bring it in , we need to see the camera .....  no you dont .... Just tell me a ball park figure , on how much is it to have a S1 IS E18 looked after ...... You need to bring it in , and we will give you an estamite , AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Dis went on for another couple of minutes before I lost it and told him where a camera like this could easily get shoved .....

Did I saye I was upset with Canon yet ......

Marcel

KGNC

The E18 fault is real common with the canon point and shoot cameras. I have one that started that,(may have gotten sand in the zoom). I tore into it to see if I could find the problem without much success. But I did find the same camera on ebay with a damaged case for a good price. I put the two together and have been using my little Frankenstein camera for almost two years.

OneWithWood

Marcel,
I feel your pain.  Some things just aren't worth the trouble or frustration to tear down and try to fix.  I recommend the following procedure:

Pick up favorite stick-like implement - ball bat, hockey stick, axe handle, etc.
Walk outside with said implement and E18 diseased camera
Gently toss camera into the air
Vigorously swing implement in a horizontal arc, impacting camera on its downward trajectory
Watch various peices of camera sail into oblivion
Take a deep breath, smile and feel the pain ebb away. . . . :)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

OWW
I also heard of another way........place it in the blender, flip the switch to ON........ ;D

I'm near ready to do that, with an HP Photosmart Printer, only I'd need to get a bigger blender. The third replacement arrived today, and I'm just a bit hesitant to see if it will work. Maybe third time is a charm.  ::)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!