iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jointer vibration

Started by Dan_Shade, February 24, 2007, 07:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

how much vibration is "normal" on a jointer.

A friend of mine picked up a Grizzly G0490, and it has a slight vibration, not bad, but a small board will walk off the infeed table.  the belt is running smooth, it's not whipping back and forth at all, we got that part fixed, but it's still got a vibration.

how much of this is normal?

I also must say that lining up the motor on those things is a major pain.  I see some rework happening on that...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

I took a glance at the machines specs and it weighs almost 600 pounds.  With that amount of weight I wouldn't expect much vibration.  You might give Grizzly a call and ask them what is normal.  I'm restoring a 6" Delta now that doesn't have any vibration at all...but it is running a lot slower so the comparison isn't really valid.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Look for bent pulley's, and consider getting machined pulleys. Also, the segmented belts reduce a considerable amount of vibration.
But also look for an out-of-balance head, or a bad bearing.
Contacting Grizzly, as Larry suggests, is what I'd do too.

Your comment about motor alignment raises some suspicion too. Wondering whats up wit dat?.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

the motor alignment method on this model is WAY less than impressive.

the motor came mounted in the wrong location, then has 8 bolts to get it in the right location.  4 to mount the motor to two small channel peices, and then 4 more to mount the channel pieces to the base.  I was expecting the typical hanging motor on a bracket of sorts.

The motor is in a good location now, the pulley's are lined up, and the motor shaft is perpindicular to the belt, and the belt is under good tension.  the belt looks good while it's running.

I'll hopefully get a few pictures tomorrow.  maybe even a video or two.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

chet

I have had instances on machines that haven't been used for some time where the belt will have a memory of the pulley diameter.  :(
Is this machine sitting on a good solid floor?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

I have a Rigid planer that runs very smoothly. In my opinon the Grizzly shouldn't be vibrating at all. I wonder if something got bent in shipment.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

low_48

You should probably take off the belt and run the motor only. That will verify that the motor is okay. Does it still have the factory belt? On contractor style table saws the seam in the cheap belt will set up a vibration. A machined belt or segmented belt will help. I suspect though that the head is out of balance to set up this much vibration.

Dan_Shade

the motor seems to run smooth if you touch it while it's running.  it's is such a major PAIN to get the motor/belt tension right we're dreading checking the motor by itself, but that may happen tomorrow.

it is the factory belt. but it was not on the machine during shipment.

by segmented belt, do you mean this: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6040&filter=52233 ?

I"m also planning on taking a few videos of a glass of water sitting on various parts of the tables, the vibration is definately worse out on the ends.

beenthere

That's the belt, and its also in the Grizzly catalog with the machined pulleys.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbeard

I have the same machine, and it does not have the vibration you are talking about. Don't know if that helps, or makes it worse. ::)
I do agree about the motor mounting arrangement, though.

Don_Papenburg

Check to make sure that all the gib bolts and hight screws  are installed . If one is missing that will make things shake.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mike smith

If it's vibrating, then something is wrong. The first thing I would do is to borrow a dial indicator mounted on a magnetic base. Use this to check for bent parts, the cutter head in particular. If nothing else, it will eliminate this as a potential problem.

Dan_Shade

I didn't think of that, I have a dial indicator, we'll check that.

I had checked for all the screws in the cutterhead, they were all there. 

ohsoloco

Going back to what Chet said....is it sitting on a concrete floor, or on a mobile stand, or  ???  I had problems with Grizzly's standard 8" jointer vibrating on me.  The tech. sent me two new belts for it, but it turned out it was b/c of the mobile base I made for it.  It was parked on the basement floor near the floor drain, so the floor wasn't flat.  If I moved the jointer to a different spot on the floor everything was fine. 

Dan_Shade

this jointer has the base that it came with, but it has 3 points that it sits on...

OneWithWood

I also have that same jointer and I have not noticed any vibration.  Call Grizzly.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dan_Shade

when you say no vibration, can you feel any vibration at all?  or is it smooth as glass?

OneWithWood

Dan, I would have to head to the barn and turn it on to give you an honest answer.  I do not remember any vibration when I last used it.  I will be over at the barn fro a while tonight and I will fire it up and get back to you.
One With Wood

Dan_Shade

ok, thanks, I'd like to know what "normal" is.

i guess i'm expecting and accepting a slight amount of vibration, but how much is too much.

OneWithWood

OK, back from the barn.  I fired up the jointer and placed a bottle of water on it, first on each table and then on the sliding fence do hicky.  Nary a ripple in the water so I would have to say I have minimal vibration.  My jointer sets on a concrete floor that is somewhat less than level.  If you are experiencing appreciable vibrations I would say something is out of whack.  Give Grizzly techs a call.  They can be most helpful.
One With Wood

tcsmpsi

Dan

I would have emailed them as soon as I thought I might possibly have a problem.
They have been quite prompt and helpful for me in that regard.  I generally email all that I can as I tend to get/give better and more thorough thought and explanation. 
That and I have to keep the phone as open as I can for all those folks who want me to buy something.   ;D

The vibration you mention does not sound 'normal'. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dan_Shade

It's not actually my jointer, but a friend's jointer.  I've got the sawmill, he's got the woodshop....

He talked to Grizzly yesterday, and they gave him some information.  My guess is it's the belt, we closely looked at it yesterday, and it seems to have a slight deformity, but we need to take it out and look at it.... ugh, and that's a pain...

tcsmpsi

Of course, there's no telling how it was handled in shipping.  Those guys can sometimes be pretty amazing at what they can accomplish without significant external evidence.

Good stroke, Dan, to have someone you can work with. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dan_Shade

yep, cheap labor too, but as with all good friends, it comes out even.

Thank You Sponsors!