iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar ID

Started by Furby, February 23, 2007, 10:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Found this in Western TN.
Can anyone tell us what kind of cedar it is?

WDH

Looks like eastern red to me.  Is it in a forest setting where it is likely to be a native, or is it in somebody's yard or a potential escapee ornamental?  Eastern Red Cedar can give you a lot of different looks, and that is the cedar that is supposed to be native to that region.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

Forest, I belive it's planted Loblolly, but Stump Jumper can confirm.

WDH

If you cut off or break off one of those bigger dead branches, and if it is ERC, it will have that unique smell and you should be able to see some red color near the pith.  That is a pretty easy way to determine without doing any real damage to the tree.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

solodan

Any cones, or fruit?  Is the foliage flat or round?

Furby

We kind of forgot to get "samples" of the wood and branches. ::)
They didn't look like the ERC we've seen, and wondered if it was SRC.

SwampDonkey

It does look like eastern red cedar. We don't have it native up here, but I have seen common juniper planted in old Christmas tree plantations.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Furby, you probably wouldn't have identified it between Eastern Red and Southern Red.  Southern Red is not as upright and the 'leaves' aren't as dense as Eastern Red.  It is now written (I read it) that many botanist don't make a distinction between the two.

I guess it will be left to we purists.  :D :D

Furby

Ah........ thanks Tom. ;)

WDH

Botanist tend to be splitters, so many distinctions they make are not all that practical.  If it is native, it is probably a variation of good ole eastern red cedar.

SwampDonkey

Just as bad as trying to separate hybrids of Engelmann spruce. It crosses with white, Sitka and Colorado blue.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

Don't know about the difference between ERC and SRC;  we always just lumped 'em in together.  Sure looks native to me.  (as gentle a reprimand as I can issue..............you don't get your knuckles rapped, you don't have to stand in the corner, you don't even have to put your head down on your desk;  ain't no Western TN;  there's East TN, Middle TN and WEST TN;  all proud to be part of the Volunteer State, but as uniquely different as MI, MN, and MO are from each other).   ;D  ;D  ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Furby

So where's the line between Middle TN and West TN?
Your the first I've meet that can't simply draw a line down the middle and have Western and Eastern or Northern and Southern.
Must be something in the water there eh? ;D

SwampDonkey

thurlow

It's not something in the water, it's the water itself...................as in the Tennessee River;  divides the state into the "Three Grand Divisions".   8) 

Tom

It's more than just a line, it's cultures and geographic diversity.  :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee

thurlow

Ain't got time to look at Wikipedia right now............supposed to be wiring my new shop; but you're exactly right about the "culture and geographic diversity".   Three distinct soils, history (ies), ancestries, cultures, populations, etc.   :)

Furby

Given that..... we were in Western MIDDLE TN. ;)

Tom

Good recovery, Furby.  :D :D

Furby

Well we were close enough that it was almost Eastern WEST TN. :D

Polly

8) 8) 8) :D :D    if it iis not esst of nashville iwould not want to live their no doubt this is best section  :D :D :D

thurlow

Reprimand is hereby rescinded.........................this will not go on your permanent record, assuming no additional violations (within the next 12 calendar months).   ;D  :D  ;D  Y'all must'a been on some pig track if you were following the East side of the TN river.   :)

SwampDonkey

I drove down from Blacksburgh VA,  down into Knoxville TN, over into the tip of GA and up into NC in 2001. Other than that, I got no idea what dashed, what water, what cultural or what political lines I crossed. ;D :D

WDH

Swamp Donkey (this is a gentle reprimand), we understand that  :)

Furby

This was my first visit in many, many years to TN West of Nashville.
Been down to Nashville and places East of there many times.

Pig track about says it! :o

WDH

I have always thought it was pig-tracky as you go west.

But, I thought that MI, MN, and MO were all the same too! (not really.  Gentle pun).  So much for what I know  ???

Furby

Naw, gotta go way North in MI. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!